Thread: CSX train derails in Fulton County, GA; crew member inj

Default CSX train derails in Fulton County, GA; crew member inj

Reprint from: [http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/met...02derail.html]

By MIKE MORRIS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

An early-morning train accident in south Fulton County critically injured a railroad employee.

The CSX train, carrying paper and animal food, was dropping off materials at a Ralston-Purina plant and other businesses along Oakley Industrial Boulevard shortly after 3 a.m. when it struck a boxcar sitting on the track, said Fulton County Fire department spokesman Reginald Smith.

Smith said the 21-year-old train conductor, apparently realizing the collision was about to occur, jumped from the train, and was caught under the wheels of one of the train cars.

Shane White of Roanoke, Ala., whose legs were severed, was given first aid by a Fulton County police officer who used his belt and engineer Willie Buchanan's belt for makeshift tourniquets to stop the bleeding.

The injured conductor was conscious, and Officer Robert Blalock -- among the first to arrive at the derailment near Fairburn -- kept talking to the man, trying to keep him from going into shock, said Lt. Darryl Halbert.

"Blalock was doing all the talking, in an effort to keep Mr. White conscious, and I believe he was effective in stopping the bleeding. The ambulance driver said the tourniquet helped a lot and probably kept him from bleeding to death at the scene," Halbert said.

Blalock's supervisor said he will recommend that Blalock receive a letter of commendation, Halbert added.

White was taken by ambulance to Grady Memorial Hospital because poor visibility barred a helicopter evacuation. He was out of surgery and in critical but stable condition late this morning.

Craig Camuso, a spokesman for CSX, said that on a freight train crew, the engineer drives the train, but reports to the conductor, who is responsible for the train's content and paper work.

Camuso said an investigation was underway to determine exactly what task White was performing when the accident occurred.

Two cars of the train ran off the tracks, Smith said, blocking Oakley Industrial near Graham Road during the morning rush hour.

Staff writer Bill Montgomery contributed to this article.

Default RE: CSX train derails in Fulton County, GA; crew member

I'm not sure exactly how fast they were going, but if it was at coupling speed, he might have been better off staying on the train.

Yeah i agree with you on that one. If it was at coupling speed and i was the conductor I woulda just stayed on and braced my self for the ride

Well that's easy to say when you're not the victim.We don't know if the other car was blocking the right or if there was movement on the adjacent track.Maybe he jumped to keep from being crush between the cars.I hate that he lost his legs but I'm sure his family would rather have him alive.I would venture to say that maybe the speed was higher than coupling speed and the conductor saw a situation that was about to develop that may have caused him to take a chance at getting of the equipment.Let's keep him in our prayers.

After rereading the article it appears as if he didn't see that other car until he was right up on it.Speed may have been alittle higher than coupling speed and probably too fast to get stopped in time to avoid a hard coupling.There have been times when I jumped from moving equipment to keep from being thrown from the car due to an impending hard coupling.The bad side to that is you don't know what's going to happen after the coupling.Either way it could spell doom for the conductor or brakeman riding that car.Serious injury or death.