Thread: Becoming a Motorman

Default Becoming a Motorman

How exactly do you become a subway/light rail motorman? Do you start out in the bus division? What colege qualifications do I need? How many years will need untill I move up to be a motorman?

Thanks in advance!

Default RE: Becoming a Motorman

In NY City, you have to start out as a conductor. I took the test for the MTA and was accepted, but had to turn it down due to the low salary, which at the time was about $8.00/hr. :-(

Once you become a conductor you wait about two years and then take the Motorman test.

The conductor test for the MTA is given out about every year and requires no prior experience.

Good luck!

It's not required to start out as a conductor for a number of years in order to become a motorman, though that position is better so that the person can get the actual feeling of working under transit operations. The real requirements of becoming a motorman for NYC Transit is a high school diploma or GED, and 5 years of work experience (from anywhere, not just in a conductor position) or have earned 120 credits (equivalent to 4 years of substituted experience) from college.

But since you're not from NY, you'd have to visit [link:www.phila.gov|the City of Philadelphia site] and check to see if there are any available applications for a SEPTA motorman position for you. I'm sure their requirements are more likely the same requirements needed for someone to become a motorman for NYC Transit.

In Los Angeles, all the subway train operators are actually bus drivers.

When the Blue Line first opened, drivers who wished to transfer over were screeneed very rigidly, (work performance record, etc.) and the lowest seniority train operator had something like 22 years of bus driving!

Nowadays, there are train operators on all three LACMTA lines who have a little over a year of bus driving with LACMTA. Most of the ones I know have said that they went back to driving the bus because running the train was very, very boring and you only had three routes to choose from, and most had to go back to working weekends.

On the MBTA, in Boston, once you are lucky anough to get hired, you start out as a change maker in the stations, the proceed up through the ranks till you make motorman.

In Toronto, it works like this...

You take your diploma into the recruiting office and you write a short test (about 1 hour). You'll have to have at the very least your high-school diploma, a spotless driving record, and have to be at least 21 years old. They also like it if you've had some experience in the service industry, or at least where you've had to deal with people.

If they like what you've written, then they'll call you back for an interview and another test (about 3 hours, I believe).

If you make it past that one, then congrats, you've been hired by the TTC! They call you back with the information about the courses that you're going to take, and when they offer then.

You don't train on one particular piece of equipment....they give you training for everything: streetcars, buses, subways and collectors. They make sure that you get all the endorsements you need for your licence....Air Brake, Multi-passenger Vechicle, etc. Then you pick where you want to work, and at what location (assuming there's room).

Dan