Thread: Yard / Shortline Caboose

Default Yard / Shortline Caboose

Has anyone seen a model of this caboose ? I'm told it was a yard or shortline caboose and not used on mainlines at all , doesn't matter what livery . The only picture I have is CN .
    Thanx for any help on this .

Default RE: Yard / Shortline Caboose

Well at least it wasn't a one-of-a-kind. I got this picture this summer in Foleyet, ON on the CN Mainline.

I believe there is a CN caboose like this in Sexsmith, Alberta at mile 36 of the Grande Prairie North Sub (Former CN line). I go by it all the time...too bad it has been vandalized so many times. Next week Ill get the numbers on it if I get the chance.

I think thats a transfer caboose? Not sure.

BW
    That's a transfer caboose and would mostly be used in transfer service(hence the name go figure :) )it would not be against rules for it to go out on the main on a train going from yard to yard but you are right in it not be used for long distance runs.
    That particular hack is a very distinct CN prototype and looks to have be built new for CN for transfer service and that in of itself is a rarity for transfer hacks.
    Most transfer cabs are designed pretty much to keep the rear end crew out of the elements(and since the elements can get pretty ugly up in Canada might explain the better than average accomdations)and were mostly homebuilt jobs(generally unique to the building road) or were older "hanger queen" hacks that could be trusted on the road for short distances.

Okay actually 210 were produced by Pointe St. Charles shops. Series numbers CN 76501-76553, CN 76662-76709, built between 1977-1980.
    So out of two hundred and ten, only three survive, to this day.

Ian Dodd
    Toronto Mainline

Visit me here for other available products:
    http://nbrailphotos.com/images/scree...ew%20model.jpg
    http://www.train-sim.com/news/nbrp0802.jpg
    http://www.nbrailphotos.com/

Wor Geordie's Pride is Deep Inside...

I have a picture somewhere of an alledged GN caboose that looks for all the world like a two holer outhouse stuck on the middle of 40' flatcar. I wonder know if that wasn't some sort of slap together transfer caboose like you describe.

Brad Meyer

Brad
    Pretty much that's it.
    I've got pics floating around of the two that the CGW had that were pretty much an old steam tender torched off at the frame with a metal shack(about big enough for the conductor and rear brakie to sit)in the center.
    The C&NW had the set up you describe as well, a 40'or 50' flat with caboose steps mounted on each end,hand rails and a metal shack in the center.

Thanks for the info. One of the best parts of getting involved in MSTS is the amount of interesting info I have gleaned from folks like you over the years.

Brad