Thread: Sound+cabview aliasing

Default Sound+cabview aliasing

Which is better for cabview in the .cvf?
    ../../xxx/cabview/xxxxx.ace
    or
    ..\\..\\xxx\\cabview\\xxxxx.ace

Which is better for sound in the .eng?
    "../../xxx/sound/xxxxx.sms"
    or
    "..\\..\\xxx\\sound\\xxxxx.sms"

kevarc Guest

Default RE: Sound+cabview aliasing

Due to the way MSTS reads things, this was covered in another post, the \\ is the way to go.

Sounds the ..\\******* method will alias the sounds.

Cabview - there is disagreement over the best way to do this. I have done quite a bit of experimenting with aliasing. I have found that the..\\.. method will work, but not all of the time. Also, and professional developers have confirmed this to me, you can get pixelating in cabviwews using this method. You can also end up with very strange cabviews. Sitting in air with just the gauges in front of you. Creating an alias cvf file and putting it into cabview folder of the engine prevents this. I did one for using the 3Dtrainstuffs SD70 cab and it works fine, It is available in the DL section today. Dekosoft cabviews require a little bit more work. What I have done is edit the cvf file from Dekosoft and copyied that and 2 ace files to the cabview of the engine I want to alias. This works everytime and I do not get strange things happening.

Kevin Arceneaux

Go to the file library, search for "Alias v3". Can I use those files for alias as I opened with wordpad and saw
    ../../acela/cabview/\\AcCabFrn.ace
    note /\\ it uses both.

kevarc Guest

Yeah I saw those and just didn't like the way the were done has you have noticed with the /\\ and such. I prefer to do my own. You can use them, but I would edit them to get all the /, \, /\\ to be double backslash.

Kevin Arceneaux

kevarc, would you mind uploading your alias files for lazybums like me who does not want to type ..\\..\\ everytime and worried that I might mess up the whole thing.