Thread: What's a Bogie Truck?

crisjss Guest

Default What's a Bogie Truck?

Yes, what are they?

Thanks,
    Cristóvão

Default RE: What's a Bogie Truck?

Cristovao
    Don't take this as gospel and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me but I think a bogie truck is the standard 4 wheel freight/passenger wheelset(example North American freight cars)
    hope this helps

SHEPLEY1935 Guest

In North American railroad parlance "Bogie" refers to the lead truck of a steam locomotive. These trucks, 2 or 4 wheel, were designed to assist long rigid locomotive underframs to negotiate curved track! In the UK I believe "Bogie" refers to the truck assemblies underneath their freight cars (wagons). If I am incorrect I'm sure someone in the forum will correct my info (possible DTA).

Yes, in the U.K. a "BOGIE" is the 2-axles, 4-wheeled swivel assembly used in pairs under passenger and freight cars.

Steam Locos may also have a leading Bogie instead of just a single leading 2-wheeled axle.

It is also known to be up your nose occasionally ! :7 :7 :7

[font color="blue"]> a "BOGIE" is the 2-axles, 4-wheeled swivel assembly used in pairs under passenger and freight cars.[/font]

OTTODAD is correct,

Here is a picture showing the complete bogie in forground and also other bits of bogies when things go wrong big time. This was taken just about a mile North of Jamestown in South Australia in 1970, a couple of months after the new standard gauge 4' 8½" displaced the old 3' 6" narrow gauge.

Derailment of the ore train from Broken Hill was put down to a cracked wheel flange which was found in the middle of the main North road to Peterborough which ran alongside of the track. Fortunately this happened around 3am, very little road traffic then. One ore wagon was unaccounted for till they cleared the wreckage away and it was found. It had ploughed itself just below track level still full of ore, no bogies of course. :o with 21 bogie ore wagons on top of it.
    http://www.trainsim.com/dcforum/User...6d0c649e7c.gif

Wow, what a mess !

Lucky nobody was close by at the time.

Hmm..I always assumed that a Bogie and a Truck were the same thing; except that 'Truck' referred to the thing that's connected to the wheels and has a journal box on the side..Bogie, in my view, referred to the entire assembly PLUS the wheels..

learnin' new stuff every day :)

SHEPLEY1935 Guest

The nomenclature of American "Trucks" is...1 truck bolster with 4 friction castings andsprings, 2 Side Frames, 2 Wheel and Axle Sets, 4 Roller Bearing Adapters, 1 Center Pin, Truck Spring nest with inner and outer springs for suspension and the associated brake rigging. Over the past year there have been several forum threads that drew a comparison between American and English railroad terminology.

Also different spelling ways. One of my Brit.English dictionaries quotes:

Bogie, Bogey = A small low truck on four or six wheels, free to move on a central pivot for easy turning; the undercarriage of a railway carriage or locomotive.

Not to be confused with the Golfing "Bogey" ! ;-)

Yes, I never stop learning. Keeps my brain ALIVE !!! :7 :7 :7

P.S.: Funny ! My comprehensive "Oxford" English-German Dictionary list neither Bogie nor Bogey ? The Italian one quotes Bogie = "Carello", the French neither.

I am Austrian and can't remember what we call it in German. Surprised, the "Tech" orientated Germans have nothing for it in the English part of the Dictionary ?