Thread: MSTS Coupling

cyfox Guest

Default MSTS Coupling

I downloaded an activity that requires a forward coupling. Problem is that I cannot uncouple. I uncouple the Engine, I hear the uncoupling, but when I try moving the Engine it recoupled. It does the same on any rolling stock. What am I doing wrong?

CyFox

Default RE: MSTS Coupling

Reverse slowly(2-3mph) when backing.

Actually it's less than 1mph, so for diesels (which have quick acceleration even in notch 1) you need to add drag to slow the rate of acceleration until you have 5 feet of seperation or so.

When you couple on with the front coupler, you usually have to hit it a little harder than with the back coupler to get the couplers to engage, or back away from it to get it to engage. As far as I know, nothing can be done about the coupler window, when you exceed a certain number of cars ahead of the engine they don't all display. But the trick to uncoupling is that the couplers have a default "engage" speed of 1 mph, so when you back away at that speed, they will recouple. Since diesels have notched throttles and fast acceleration, the first notch accelerates past 1 mph very quickly, and the couplers recouple. So to slow down acceleration I:
    1. Uncouple
    2. Selector to reverse.
    3. Independent brake (loco brake) to 30%.
    4. Throttle to notch one.
    5. Slowwwwly release independent brake until engine just starts moving.
    6. Wait for 5 foot seperation before releasing independent brake completely.

That has to be adjusted of course, if you have a helper the independent brake don't affect the helper, so you need more independent brake to restrain the acceleration added by the helper. If the cars recouple while you're doing this, just add more independent brake, uncouple again, and start slowly releasing the brake again. Steam is actually easier to do this with since the regulator is more finely adjustable, don't need independent brakes. Most steamers don't seem to have them anyway.

RRichter Guest

Even after the MSTS patch there is left a big bug in the front coupler features - its about PULLING cars.

But for your problem I guess there is an easy solution.

Look in the trainset directory for the "DEFAULT" subfolder. Search for
    "0.2 # min coupling velocity"

Set it higher

I didnt tested it, but I guess its a worthful hint.

RR

What is the default .eng and .wag for? Everytime I open it in the Activity editor, it gives me an error.