Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Train Artisan's ESE

Default Train Artisan's ESE

Does anyone know whether there is a download-able ESE by Train Artisan? I just wanted to know so that I don't have to purchase the entire American Classics pack. Thanks!
    -Alex B.

Default RE: Train Artisan's ESE

No there isn't.

/Jonatan

No, not anymore. The only way to get one IS to buy the American Classics set. Or, you could wait a bit for a completely new ESE...;-)
    Happy Holidays!

-Mike

Or you could ask someone who still has the vintage 2001 original download version of TA's ESE... ;)
    Cheers,
    Sebastian

Or u could search the Intarweb for a D/L although that might be illeagl 0_o.

Well, Sebastian, I have the original download. And how many ways do you think I would be pilloried, burned, flamed, and hanged in effigy here if I sent it to someone, and word got out?

I still think it "odd" that something that was released freely was made "ex-post-facto" payware later. I don't take much stock in the "pro" arguments for this scheme on the one hand, but wouldn't want to buck local opinion on the other.

PaulS

USRailFan Guest

>I still think it "odd" that something that was released freely
    >was made "ex-post-facto" payware later. I don't take much
    >stock in the "pro" arguments for this scheme on the one hand,
    >but wouldn't want to buck local opinion on the other.

Maybe rare in the US MSTS scene, but has happened several times in the European MSTS scene

chazlee1 Guest

I have to agree with Paul here..I have the original 'free' download of the ESE also, but like Paul, I would be afraid to let it out of my sight as I wouldn't want to get "Cantonized" like a certain party did here. As Paul said, it is amazing that something a company gave out as a free download has now suddenly become a sacred Payware item, just because it says it's from Train Artisan. Let's just say this: If this model wasn't supposed to be released to the masses as freeware, why was there so many models in the file library that were aliased to the ESE?

It's because when TA released the ESE it was the standard for steam locomotive sounds, and being a free download, many modelers used it as the basis for their locomotive sounds.

Of course, if you weren't around when TA released it, and I know alot of the younger people here weren't, a model having the TA name on it would invoke thoughts of Payware. Since there are getting fewer and fewer of us "old timers" left on the board, I guess the best way to ask for something like this would just be to post: "I really like the ESE, but I don't know if it's payware. Would anybody know for sure, and if it isn't, be kind enough to send it to me?

That should be enough to dispel the flames...
    Chaz

It's all about money, kid. BTW did you know that the Internet (OMFG =O) was actually ment to be a free-of-charge thing? Well look around now! Ain't so free anymore now is it? 0_0

/Jonatan

Not to be argumentative, but the original concept of the internet was a free exchange of ideas between academic faculties at colleges and universities. It was not expected to turn into a public entertainment arcade. I guess the anatomy and graphic arts departments got a little more material than they expected.

BTW, if the reason to find the NYC ESE is for the cabview, I think some package has the cabview available? I don't use that cab, prefer others, so I just install my cab preference in the .eng file in place of the ESE.
    Copywrite law allows folks to be just about as unreasonable as they care to be about their own property. Just like your 1957 DeSoto, if you want to prohibit your brother from driving it, that is your perogative. Of course he may not lend you the Cub Cadet when the lawn needs mowing next year though.
    Bob