Thread: Fractal Design Painter 5

Default Fractal Design Painter 5

Does anybody know if Fractal Design Painter 5 can be used to create new skins or do i need something else?

Default RE: Fractal Design Painter 5

I didn't mean create new skins i meant to repaint locomotives and cars.

Kuchinator Guest

Default RE: Fractal Design Painter 5

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-01 AT 09:15AM (EST)[/font][p]i dont think so.........
    nothing mathematical about makin skins.
    http://www.trainsim.com/dcforum/User...fa4f5a2204.gif

jim_henry Guest

Default RE: Fractal Design Painter 5--Try GIMP

GIMP, the GNU bitmap editor, is a free package with a Windows version available. It is very layers oriented and it is an excellent package for painting engines and wagons for MSTS. There is an excellent book available to teach you how to use GIMP called Grokking the GIMP. It is available in printed hardcopy and in softcopy for free on the net.

There is one quirk. I believe Targa (TGA) files have headers that specify the pixel order and apparently MakeACE ignores them. You need to make an upside down mirror image, which is trivial in GIMP, before saving to Targa format. I don't know if BMP has this requirement.

woody Guest

Default RE: Fractal Design Painter 5--Try GIMP

I currently use painter 5 to help make my skins. The reason being is that painter 5 allows more control and easier painting tools that photoshop.

There is a catch however. Painter 5 is not a 32bit program. That means that any files that have the transparent alpha channel saved in 32bit from another program are corrupted by Painter as soon as you touch the canvas. I almost lost my SP F-7s after working on them for 40 hours.

Normally what I would do is all of my stretching, copying and pasting in Photoshop 6.0, then open up the images in Painter and blend the colors and make weathering fixes and alignment fixes. After that I'd save the image off as a 24bit TGA file and open it in Photoshop. I would then take and select the entire image and copy it on top of a virgin, original template to get my tranparent layers back. Save it off as a 32bit file and your good to go. This didn't work for my SP F7's though and I was in panic when I loaded the engine in the sim and saw that the whole body of the loco was transparent.

Moral of the story. Painter 5 kicks Photoshop's butt when it comes to creating realistic textures. Why? Because it is a true painting program. Photoshop is much better at manipulating photographs to achieve a specific effects. You team tese two programs together and you've got the ability to create astounding work. Look how good my stuff turns out! This is why!

Ken Boudreaux