Thread: Hampton & Langley Field Rwy Part 2

Default Hampton & Langley Field Rwy Part 2

For those who saw the first post in 2005, I had been researching a electric operation running from the C&O Connection near Route 278 in Hampton, Va, Paralleling what is now King Street to Langley Airforce Base. The first train was ran in October 1917, and the operation lasted until May 1946, when the decision to abandon the line was made.

Until recently, maps showing the on base trackage could not be acquired, however with help from on-base personnel, I managed to acquire a map of an unknown date, showing the main line from Route 278, back to and on the base. Below is a jerry-rigged version using satellite images of the current areas surroundings.

I have yet to learn what was moved with this operation other than tourists. Jet fuel or Av-gas is a possibility, or ammunition for the aircraft. I'm still flip-flopping the idea of modeling this short 3 mile operation, however its unknown if or when that will happen.

Jason,

Sounds like a great idea!

RGF

I'd agree with Rick. Short operations like these are a real delight, since the advent of MSTSbin. As a bonus, it ensures that you start with a project of reasonable size. Why, I could certainly be persuaded to finish this little Yankee steeplecab (Berkshire Street Railway #030) given a line like that to run it on ... -Phil

Nice looking model Phil!

The H&LF had a Baldwin built motor No. 200 Serial Number 38835 Built Nov 1912 for the Connecticut Company as 029; to Connecticut Railway & Lighting 1054 in 1916; acquired by the Hampton & Langley Field Railway in 1937 and renumbered 200. Placed in storage in 1941 pending sale. Sold in 1945 to the Hagerstown & Frederick Railway and renumbered to 10. Scrapped in 1955.

Photo by Robert C. Crockett

They also as years progressed got several diesel engines such as a 20T whitcomb , 60T and 65T GE.

I've built small routes before for myself, none of which i electrified, so this would be a new experience worth learning from. I have only 3 images of the operation, the one above, one other locomotive, and a shot on base showing a switch near the large white silos shown on the map.

So that's the rest of the story! I knew 029 ended up in Maryland, but didn't know how it got there. I might have a set of drawings for that one somewhere. The Baldwin trucks would be quite distinctive.

Thanks kindly for the compliments on the little motor. -Phil

Glad that was helpful!

Let me know if you do in fact have drawings of her, i'm after anything I can get that relates to the operation.

The other electric motor that i'm aware of is #12, which appears to be a line inspection car. I cannot find serial numbers, or a builder for this, however it was sold in 1945 to the H&F. Sadly i'm not sure what the number became once the H&F got her.

This is all that remains of the wood-pile bridge that once carried the operation into the base. I do not have base clearance however I have family who does, and will try to get shots from the other side as well as reference shots of areas that the rails were laid in.

This is the only on-base shot I have of the operation, found during a very lucky google search That appears to be the switch by the white silos, leading to the warf going left (i have no idea what was moved from there) and going to the right it leads to several large warehouses, most likely ammuniton storage or something along those lines.

Default H&LF motors

That Baldwin steeplecab has me interested too. Those trucks would be fun to build. If the motor belonged to the H&F, there might be drawings and more info in the book, "Blue Ridge Trolley" by Herbert Harwood (Golden West Books). The other is a box motor, built to haul less than carload freight and express, kind of like today's UPS. What the H&LF used it for, I don't know, could be that or MOW. It's another interesting motor.
    Tim
    Charter member

http://elvastower.com/

I started to lay track along king street, and im still unsure what the H&LF trackage at the C&O interchange consisted of. I haven't been able to find anyone who knows how far the line was electrified if at all.

Any recommendations for structures or vehicles? I'm working Scale Rail and Road.

Quote Originally Posted by jay611 View Post
    ... This is all that remains of the wood-pile bridge that once carried the operation into the base. ...
    That shot looks familiar. My folks retired down to tidewater maybe a quarter-century ago, and I'm sure I've seen it. There are many such remains around New England, as well, if you know where to look for them.

In all likelihood, the line carried whatever the Quartermaster Corps ordered for supplies, at least until the War. By that time, there would have been a basic network of hard-surfaced roads, and at least some of the traffic would have shifted to military vehicles or commercial truckers. The immediate post-War years were hard on railroads, generally, and electric railroads particularly: The combination of a substantial downturn in traffic, combined with a War-weary physical plant that hadn't seen investment since the '20s (if not earlier), were fatal to the more marginal carriers. -Phil

Jay,

I looked in "Blue Ridge Trolley" and it shows H&LF 200 as H&F second#10 purchased from them in 1945 but makes no mention of the other box motor. Not sure if it ended up on the property or not, or if it was resold to another party before ever being put to use.

Paul