Thread: CN and CP routes in Ontario

Daniel Odette Guest

Default CN and CP routes in Ontario

I really like CN and CP they really help North america. I dont know all the Route names and subdivision names. I like CN`s Grimsby subdivision but i need lots of imformation about it because i want to make a msts download for it. Does anyone know a website where you can learn about routes and subdivisions. Their is actually one that about 60ft away from my house but i dont know what its called. I dont know the subdivision name for the CN line from Toronto to Richmond hill GO trains use it as well. Does Via rails Canadian toggle the line too because i want to see it. Thank you for your help.

Your best bet for Subdivision information is books and other publications. Pictures are worth a thousand words so books are very important, unfortunately they are also usually expensive. Check large chain bookstores and your local hobby centre for more information on the route you want more info on. If you can, try Google for a information search on the Subdivision of your choice. Type in the search field things such as, Toronto, Richmond hill, CN, and Subdivision you'll probably eventually turn something up. If that fails, most railway web sites have a contact email for their archives and corporate historians who can find the information for you. Google Earth is also a handy tool at times to help building routes, however if the area is not popular it may have poor resolution satellite imagery. You can also go to the CN Lines volunteer web site at www.cnlines.com . They are a CN special interest group and can be extremely helpful with information both historical and new when it comes to CN topics of any kind. Trust me, you won't stump them!

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Cheers,
    Thad

Default RE: CN and CP routes in Ontario

If you need some info on CN routes, heres a start http://cnr-in-ontario.com/ I'm not really sure about CP routes though. And btw the route from Toronto to Richmond Hill is CN's Bala Subdivision.

Canadian Trackside Guide retails around $30 cdn at places like Georges Trains, that has drawings of all the Subdivisions in Canada, lists all the mileposts etc. It also includes alot of information about what road owns what, and other valuable information.
    Ian Dodd www.tigertrains.com
    ============================================
    Stay On The Right Side Of The Tracks - Say No To Drugs!!
    Only You Can Prevent Forum Flames!!!!

The name of the line you are questioning is called the Bala Subdivision and runs from Toronto to Capreol Ontario, Canada. I live only 5 miles away from a portion of that line and as for it appearing in MSTS, keep listening for the whistle! Secondly, VIA Rail's "Canadian" utilizes that line daily and so does Ontario Northland's "Northlander" as well as GO operations on the first 21 miles of the line. The line is CN's transcontinental main line and sees maybe 15-30 trains a day.
    Last edited by r_claxton; 04-04-2008 at 07:21 PM.

If your looking for info on Grimsby Sub try www.niagararails.com
    I live in St. Catharines not to far from the sub.

Thanks

Sean

If you are interested in the Grimsby Sub, buy the Niagara Corridor route and simply extend it eastward from Hamilton towards Niagara Falls.

I actually started building Trilium RR in St. Catharines running across the Grimsby Sub. Problem with extending an existing route is the copyright issues if you want to release it. MLT Niagara Corridor is a great line for MSTS.

Having portals where you can join multiple routes and actually continue to run them will be awesome.

Thanks

Sean