Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Quillable" Whistles/Horns

Default "Quillable" Whistles/Horns

I am thinking about a new sound feature for MSTSX. On steam locomotives, whistles were controlled by cords or levers. And before solenoid-controlled valves were introduced, diesel horns also had their horns controlled by cords or levers.

An interesting phenomenon happens when the whistle/horn cord/lever is pulled---

If the engineer pulls the cord or lever only SLIGHTLY, the whistle or horn will sound different than if the lever or cord was pulled ALL THE WAY. This is called "playing the whitle/horn."

IMO, this can be controlled with the center wheel of the mouse--clicking and "scrolling" down will increase "tension" and clicking and "scrolling" up will decrease "tension." MTH Electric Trains has done something similar with their Digital Command System.

How does this idea sound?
    Last edited by Traindude; 10-31-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Thats a great idea.. But would require some work to record at different tones.

Quote Originally Posted by BNSFfan View Post
    i allso think this is a great idea, but it doesnt realy mean its ALOT of work, and you dont alot of need recorded sound, you could just have 1 good recording that lasts for a surten amount of time and then when you scrolled you might slow the file down when played as well as you could lower the sound, dont know how well this would work and it would probably need some good knowledge about the sound files

// sorry about the bad english.

I just hope horns can be played in both short and long sounds..like the shave n haircut. I don't ask more.

I think it's a great idea too, but my question would be what algorithm would be used to interpolate between the quill sound and the full on horn/whistle.

I think that by frequency limiting a full on horn sound, you could probably break out a convincing quill if one was not available. I've actually been playing with horn sounds while I've been watching this thread unfold. I had a very clean recording of a Wabco AA-2 and I pulled out some of the high and low-range frequencies and muted the sound a bit and I think what's left would be a fairly convincing quill of that horn (I DO happen to have a quilled version too, a short too-toot the driver gave me when he saw me there with the video camera!)

On the topic of horns, I beg and plead to have the horn sound audible in any interior views, based on distance from the engine. It just kills me not to be able to hear it from inside in MSTS1.

Steve

And the point of this is....?

I wouldn't be crazy about being able to quill a horn, so much as having a better horn than MSTS1. Something like TRS, where even a quick jab on the horn causes it to activate, and it activates as soon as you press space. In MSTS1, the response times were... less than spectacular, making it difficult to preform LLSL's in crowded urban areas, and do a shave and a haircut. The horns came on late, and then held longer than needed.

Quilling would be nice, but I'd be very happy with a well functioning all-or-nothing horn.
    Quote Originally Posted by mestevet View Post
    On the topic of horns, I beg and plead to have the horn sound audible in any interior views, based on distance from the engine. It just kills me not to be able to hear it from inside in MSTS1.
    You can hear it, if the car is directly coupled to the locomotive. Go one car back, and it's gone.

-DJ Flaherty

St. Cloud, Minnesota, Untied States of Anarchy.

I don't have the issue. I set my external locomotive sounds so they are audible in passenger views - a step often skipped - and I haven't had an issue since. The big issue is that very rarely are MSTS sounds mixed and mastered properly. The horn should be the baseline maximum volume. Everything else should be mixed in relative to the horn. Most engine and other sounds are much, much, much too loud, so the horn is easily drowned out. Pull the volume of the other sounds down, turn the volume of your speakers up, and make the horn volume the maximum. It sounds much better.

Now... I wish I could set up horn sounds so that a different clip plays in passenger views. From the passenger cars, a K5LA will often sound like a K3LA.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainMan_112 View Post
    And the point of this is....?
    Quote Originally Posted by BNSFfan View Post
    Hence my comments about how one might obtain different sounds without having a recording.

And TrainMan_112 what exactly did your snide comment add to the thread, Troll?

Steve

I just think there are far more important issues to deal with in the development of the sim than "pulling the horn cord just a little bit so it isn't quite as loud."