Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procedural Flora

Default Procedural Flora

Sniper having created a range of lovely procedural terrain textures for use in RW, which seem to be causing problems in RW routes using them, unless the are turned off in it's options. His Port Ogden & Chicago using lots of them.

Using these RW Options setting:

I did some testing and trying to load the PO&C Bazza and Ogden scenarios cause R6025 errors and so does trying to jump from this location to them:

Doing that I noticed that the procedural grass did not move and tested the Colton & Northern route's procedural grass, which also did not move a blade:

The same in the Rascal & Cottonwood route, which also has an odd looking sky now:

Looks like whatever RS.com has done to the source code has screwed that up, as well as a number of other things !

O t t o
    Attached Images Attached Images

Otto,

Rich has a fix for the sky if you are using both of his routes, its a conflict with R&S which used the RS sky, and C&N which he used his own, and using the same names or something like that.

you have to head over to his forum for the details

Default System specs?

OS: Windows XP Media (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Model: Dell DXP051
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Video: Radeon X550 256.0 MB
    ATI Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6925

Configuration might be a key too, IIRC I followed a tip somewhere to set the swap file for a minimum size, can't remember how I did it tho. Some are reporting same problem with RS, still can't duplicate here.

For this I set RS to run in a window, right click on the taskbar and set the taskbar to run on top of other windows, then bring up the task manager and click the performance tab so I can see what the system is doing.

Start in Port Ogden, wait 30 seconds or so for it to settle down, then open the compass and marker flyout, select Chicago and jump.

Takes a minute or so for it to load everything, this is a really old cheap video card I got here.

Once everything is loaded tho, still got 448 megs of RAM free, no crashes or stuttering. Alzheimers here, I could swear I remember the procedural flora waving back and forth, but looking at it now it's not moving here either.

Again, this is in railsim, I don't have railworks yet, but some people have said the same thing about railsim - get crashes, turn off procedural flora, no more crashes. I don't even get a framerate hit with procedural flora on, either with this cheapskate ATI card or the Nvidia 8500GT I had before it. Just checked on my son's system, identical to mine except he has an Nvidia 8400GS, same results there - FPS the same or even a little better with procedural flora on, no crashes or freezes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (76.9 KB, 162 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (88.6 KB, 162 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (89.7 KB, 165 views)

Hi Jim !

Fired up my Main-RS and with Procedural Flora turned on, I usually have it turned off, ran the Bath route and all the procedural flora is moving.

It is not in the Colton & Northern and in the PO&C-8 at Bazza it is moving very slowly.

Is PhysX working in RW and wonder what others can see in their copies of RW ?

O t t o

Talking Must be in the doldrums

Well, it ain't an ATI vs Nvidia thing, just had Mike download and install PO&C9a and try it. He still only has 1 meg of RAM since I haven't gotten to installing my old sticks in his, so it loads slower and is more jerky, but no crashes. The flora isn't waving on the GEFORCE 8400GS either, maybe the wind stopped? I'll see if I can hunt up a pre mark 2 version and try that, maybe they got tired of you griping about the waving grass and sprayed it with starch.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    Maybe they got tired of you griping about the waving grass and sprayed it with starch.
    Yes, that thought has occurred to me after their reaction to us griping about the swaying trains / tracks RS had to start with.

There could be something in your working in RS procedural textures RW has a problem with, you may be able to identify after you get your copy of RW, such as a change in their animation scripting ?

O t t o

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

He still only has 1 meg of RAM.
    Wow, you could at least get the poor kid a Pentium!

Robert

Cool 80286 8MHZ switchable 16MHZ TURBO mode!

Hee-hee, I meant "gig", guess I'm dating myself. Seems like only yesterday 1 megabyte of RAM was considered a lot.

Well, pretty sure the stiffness is from old age and one of the patches, I tried the pre mark 1 version and the grass do indeed wave there. No biggy, one of them "hey that's cool" features you admire once and then forget it. Not relevant to this tho, any chance some antivirus programs are causing that? Whatever it is, why does it crash only with procedural flora on, and why can't I make mine crash the same way? I think some of youse guys have been smoking the procedural flora and hallucinating it, I can't think of anything about procedural flora that would be a direct cause of a crash.

EDIT: Next time check default default, I reinstalled the Bath route, and in the mark 2 version the default grass waves in the breeze in the default Bath route, default grass in PO&C don't move.
    Last edited by sniper297; 07-09-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: The voices in my head told me to edit

Hee-hee, I meant "gig", guess I'm dating myself. Seems like only yesterday 1 megabyte of RAM was considered a lot.

Well, pretty sure the stiffness is from old age and one of the patches, I tried the pre mark 1 version and the grass do indeed wave there. No biggy, one of them "hey that's cool" features you admire once and then forget it. Not relevant to this tho, any chance some antivirus programs are causing that? Whatever it is, why does it crash only with procedural flora on, and why can't I make mine crash the same way? I think some of youse guys have been smoking the procedural flora and hallucinating it, I can't think of anything about procedural flora that would be a direct cause of a crash.

EDIT: Next time check default default, I reinstalled the Bath route, and in the mark 2 version the default grass waves in the breeze in the default Bath route, default grass in PO&C don't move.
    Jim, Change the weather. I downloaded both PO&C 9A for RS and RW from Otto's downloads yesterday. When I started the route in RS they were not blowing around, looked in the weather and nothing was set. I changed it to Partly Cloudy and they were blowing around. The wind is what makes them move and if you set the wind higher they move even faster. In RW they didn't move and that weather was set for EU weather by default.

I do have problems in both RW and RS, they don't lockup but I have track buffers all over the place especially in RS no matter where I go there are buffers all over. In RW I have track buffers on the track but not as many.
    Tom

Cool Close reefed topsail breeze?

Don't have a "partly cloudy", got weather1 thru weather8 along with a variable mist I picked up from somewhere. You nailed it again tho, reset to weather2 and all the weeds act like hula dancers in any route. Sort of on topic (what was the topic?) I made a FRAPS video of the waving weeds, got a 30 second long 375 megabyte AVI file. Anyone know how to turn that into a compressed whatever for YouTube? There I go dating myself again, 375 megabytes wouldn't have even fit on my 20 meg hard card on that Tandy 1000TX, to me it seems like a 30 second video should be about 128 kilobytes.