Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Most Popular

Default Top Ten Most Popular

From time to time I hear folks using terms like "what's the best.." "what has the most..." in regard to MSTS addons or the like. Today, while searching for something else, I noticed an item in the file library with a high number of downloads, and thought "I wonder what the items with the most downloads are?" Now I know some folks are going to say "this is frivolous, who cares" and indeed you may have a point, but here are the top 10 TrainSim.com library downloads (as of 4/11/2010) anyway:

1. MSTS UP Steam MegaPack Downloads: 36,600 upsteam.zip

2. MSTS GE Hood Locomotive Pack Downloads: 28,318 gemegav2.zip

3. MSTS Union Pacific Alco Big Boy 4-8-8-4 Downloads: 26,430 bigboyv1.zip

4. MSTS NEC Pack #1 Downloads: 25,304 necpak01.zip

5. MSTS P40 Genesis Set 1 Downloads: 24,559 gen_pak1.zip

6. MSTS P42 Genesis Set 2 Downloads: 23,625 gen_pak2.zip

7. MSTS Northeast Corridor Route Downloads: 23,301 necv4.zip

8. MSTS F40 Set 1 Downloads: 22,139 f40_set1.zip

9. MSTS F Unit Cab Downloads: 19,959 funitcab.zip

10. MSTS XTracks v3.20 Standard Edition Setup Downloads: 19,410 xtracks.zip

I know some of my favorites are on there. There's a lot of representation from the folks of NALW. I'm surprised that XTracks didn't rank higher than #10 though, seems a bit odd if you think about it, given all the routes requiring it (including the NECv4 which has almost 4,000 more dowloads - maybe re-downloads account for a lot). Just missing out at #11 is "TSUnpack-Fix Downloads: 18,516 tsunpack.zip" - from 2001 no less. There were 68 items that had more than 10,000 downloads.

Steve
    Last edited by mestevet; 04-11-2010 at 06:00 PM.

St. Cloud, Minnesota, Untied States of Anarchy.

So what you're saying is, the MSTS world really is stuck in 2003? Shouldn't be surprising, I've been saying it since 2004!

Elitist: (n) A person who can pronounce the word 'hundred' correctly

Lightbulb An Easy Install package makes for Happy Users.

"...............I'm surprised that XTracks didn't rank higher than #10 though, seems a bit odd if you think about it, given all the routes requiring it (including the NECv4 which has almost 4,000 more downloads . . . ." [than X-Tracks]
    Hi Steve,
    Umm . . . the NECv4 doess not require X-Tracks.

It's not a particularly beautiful route and it being my first effort (practice, if you will) has a lot to be desired. Accurate trackwork at Philadelphia for instance.
    That can be attributed from my hesitation at incorporating X-Tracks after the build started. THAT decision probably prevented me from additional route meltdowns during the build, of which there were many.

What DOES make the NECv4 earn a place in the top 10 downloads is it's ease of installation;
    1. download the route.
    2. open the downloaded zip file.
    3. double click on the necv4.exe and wait for it to complete.
    Now start the Sim and after the tile buffers generate, you're running trains!

THATS why it's in the top ten! It's so easy to install, no copy/paste/move files needed. Just download and after a few double clicks, it's installed.
    There are thousands of really good downloads in the F/L and if the authors had just taken the time to work up a good install package the hobby would be MUCH more appreciated by those who are computer challenged but love to run trains.

Think about it; How popular would the Valve Studios Half-Life series be if users had to copy and paste zip files all over the place?
    Not very I assure you.

I spent almost three months learning and then getting the install package in shape that was 'right' for the community. That and a group of very critical beta testers.
    I respectfully urge all authors of add-on's do the same. The appreciation will show in the download count!
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS .........
    ... Eschew Obsfucation .........

Can't believe it's ease of installation that makes for high downloads.
    After all, you only find out if it's easy to install AFTER you download it.

Real reason is that NEC is simply a good route.

Red face Re: Ease of installation and Download count

Point taken!

and

Thanks.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS .........
    ... Eschew Obsfucation .........

I too, noted that, other than XTracks v3.20 (from 2007), the latest one of those is the NALW NEC Pack, with a date of 08-11-2003. I think there are a couple of things that account for the high downloads for items from that "era". One is that they've just been around a long time, so there's been plenty of time to accumulate downloads. Also, clearly, when the sim was newer, there were, of course, more folks "active" than there are so many years on - probably a lot more casual players then and maybe only the "hardcore" now. Additionally, the modeling in many of those downloads is unique, and has held up well, so that probably encourages sustained downloads over time (the NEC Pack is one that I'm most familiar with, and I still enjoy those models, as do many other folks I know). The prototypes for all the rolling stock and the route, are popular, and there have been activities (and repaints in some cases) that have encouraged additional downloads. I think Vince makes a valid point, that stuff that's easy to use, works right, and installs without hassle DOES encourage use. How? Well if lots of people have something installed and are using it (as opposed to simply downloaded but not installed), it encourages screenshots, activities, and repaints, leading to more downloads that wouldn't happen if there was less exposure.

Sorry about that mistake Vince, for some reason I though the NECv4 did use Xtracks. But then again, I've had it installed for so long that it predates my oldest son!

Anyway, I found this interesting, hope you all did too.

Steve

{by the way, the most recent, "non-utility" type download (so discounting Xtracks, NewRoads, and a couple others) in the top 30 is the Route, ATSF Cajon Pass cp.zip Date: 11-05-2006 Downloads: 13,283 - many others in the top 30 are from the 2002/2003 timeframe}
    Last edited by mestevet; 04-11-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Default Stuck in 2003?? ;)

OK, so let's see if this is any measure of stagnation of MSTS. Here are the top ten downloads since 2005:

1. MSTS XTracks v3.20 Standard Edition Setup Name: xtracks.zip Date: 11-19-2007 Downloads: 19,416

2. MSTS New Roads V4.0 Name: newroads.zip Date: 11-29-2007 Downloads: 16,273

3. MSTS Route--ATSF Cajon Pass Name: cp.zip Date: 11-05-2006 Downloads: 13,283

4. MSTS Train Store v3.2 Name: trnstr32.zip Date: 06-14-2005 Downloads: 11,334

5. MSTS Route--NS Pocahontas District Name: pokeyv1.zip Date: 12-04-2005 Downloads: 10,947

6. MSTS Route—Surfliner Name: surfliner.zip Date: 07-02-2009 Downloads: 9,504

7. MSTS GN Hi-Line Route v3 (Marias Pass 4) Name: gnhi_3_1.zip Date: 03-17-2007 Downloads: 7,930

8. MSTS Route--F1 IND Subway Name: f1_ind.zip Date: 03-01-2006 Downloads: 7,833

9. MSTS ATSF Seligman Sub Route Name: sel1.zip Date: 09-10-2005 Downloads: 7,295

10. MSTS Route--Rio Grande Southern Route Name: rgs_v3.zip Date: 11-20-2005 Downloads: 6,624 (really, other Seligman Sub and F1 IND Subway parts came before, but since they're part of the same route, I'm counting that with the highest one)

I note the rather impressive total for Jeff Farquhar's Surfliner route in a little more than 9 months.

Steve
    Last edited by mestevet; 04-12-2010 at 07:30 AM.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

I wonder how the numbers would break down if you did it by category: Routes, Locos, Cars, Scenery Objects, etc?

For instance in the Routes Category, you'd find NEC 4.0 and Marias Pass 3.1. Replacements for the default routes... Isn't that interesting?

Robert
    Last edited by rdamurphy; 04-11-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Default I guess you can't have any fun...

I try to post up something that was, to me, interesting, and lighthearted, and I get PMs from folks telling me I'm hurting the hobby...

You know what I think hurts the hobby? People who send PMs and post messages telling other people how wrong they are for something.

Personally, I was more interested in the possible discussion we might have...

Steve

Hi Steve,

I fail to see how it could hurt the hobby.

I think its interesting to see whats popular.

Derek
    Cheers
    Derek