Thread: Making piping elbows in Google Sketchup

Default Making piping elbows in Google Sketchup

I was just curious if anyone can point me to a tutorial on how I could make piping elbows , using Google Sketchup.

So far, I would know how to start creating the pipe itself, but not how I could make it turn into different directions , to create such as elbows , once the pipe had been extruded to a certain length .

Thanks in advance for any help !

Jean Brisson Victoria, BC

Well here is what I do when making pipe runs in Google Scetchup.

A. Make a Circle, using the Circle Tool option on the surface your pipe run will begin.

B. To save on poly count reduce the number of sides your circle has, in this case from 24"default" to 6.

C. From the Center of this Circle, using the Line Tool draw your pipe run path "From where your want it to start to where you want it to end. for each elbow/bend in pipe make a 90 degree turn, or what ever angle is required.

D. Now to define your Elbow/Bend...measure out from the bend equal, or as equal lengths...in this case we measured out 4' each side. Connect both these points with a line, making a Triangle. Once you become better at this, the make a Triangle part can be removed.

E. Using the Arc Tool, create and arc arcoss the 2 legs of your pipe run. the triangle is there to keep your arc on plane.

F. Once you have your arc you can erase all unneeded lines, and reduce the sides on your arc from 12"default" to in this case 6 to reduce poly's

G. Now with the Select Tool, select the first segment of this pipe run line, it will turn the segment blue. Now while still in Select Tool mode hold shift key down and select all remaining segments of the pipe run line, turning them all blue, if they are not all blue continue till they are.

H. Now to finally form your pipe run...Using the Follow-Me Tool, and still with the pipe run line colored blue, click any where inside your original circle...BINGO! you will instantly create a pipe along the entire pipe run line, elbows included.

Rinse/repeat till you have all pipes inplace. Once you have all pipes in place, shift to Wire Frame Mode, and Erase all your pipe run lines in the centers of all your pipes.

Hope this helps you out, and as always enjoy!

Regards
    Lloyd
    Last edited by Archer01; 05-11-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Excellent info Archer I was just wondering about that today, during a build of a wastewater plant for my route!
    M.A. Payne

Current project B&O parkersburg and Chillicothe Sub! AKA St. Louis mainline Parkersburg to Cincinatti!

Quote Originally Posted by Erick_Cantu View Post
    I don't get it - I can do that in the same amount of time in Gmax. It's not all that difficult once you know where everything is...
    It's actually faster in Gmax....a lot faster. While the Bend modifier is one of the trickiest to figure out, once you do, it's no sweat. And there's no need to worry about or time to take removing inside-facing faces or parts touching in Gmax also. *shrug*

I was actually thinking about a picture tutorial on how to do the same thing in Gmax, if anyone wanted to see it.

St. Cloud, Minnesota, Untied States of Anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by jovet View Post
    It's actually faster in Gmax....a lot faster. While the Bend modifier is one of the trickiest to figure out, once you do, it's no sweat. And there's no need to worry about or time to take removing inside-facing faces or parts touching in Gmax also. *shrug*

I was actually thinking about a picture tutorial on how to do the same thing in Gmax, if anyone wanted to see it.
    I think you ended up in the wrong thread!
    Elitist: (n) A person who can pronounce the word 'hundred' correctly

Default any tips and techniques always welcomed...

First , to say thanks to Llloyd, for taking time and effort to produce this tutorial . Wow !
    I do know many of us will greatly benefit from this , as Google Sketchup still remains a very commonly used design tool , due to its convenience and simplicity .

As far as any Tutorials related to any "fabrication" technique, with Gmax , I think this is definitely something we should be careful not to brush off too quickly .

In 3DCanvas PRO, I do know one of the many 'shapes" you can 'pre-select", is a circular ring . Using this shapeform ( circular ring ) , I believe that by entering the proper "parameters", you could create a separate / dedicated "pipe elbow" piece .

I would not know about techniques for such as what Lloyd mentions, for such as 'continuous" type of "pipe runs", etc ... I am still fairly new to 3D design , and yes, I welcome any and all information / tips / tutorials, that is relevant to our pursuits .

As far designing in Gmax, I have seen a few world objects designed with such a program, and yes, "there is" a difference in overall model quality , as compared to what we can accomplish with Google Sketchup .

I think model builders would be "short-changing" themselves, by not giving consideration to more professional design tools , for their projects .

Jean Brisson BCLW Route Building Team

Quote Originally Posted by Erick_Cantu View Post
    I think you ended up in the wrong thread!
    Nope!....though I did accidentally initially post that to the other thread.

I dunno if this is exactly what you're after but there is a set of Sketchup plug-ins for making models of pipe fixtures, as well as tubes, and for good measure steel beams, wrought iron forms, and lots of other stuff. Google "Sketchup plugins" and snoop around a bit... interesting things will turn up.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.