Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alp 46 Help

If you want cruise control on it, I could do that when you are ready for it.
    Last edited by bavli; 10-14-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: punctuation
    "Science is belief in the ignorance of experts." Richard Feynman

I've scanned through the ALP-46 Operating Instruction Manual that I have, and haven't seen speed or cruise control mentioned. Of course the unit has a "Speed Enforcement System" (as it's called in the manual) for applying penalty brake applications as necessary in correspondence with wayside and cab signals, but I haven't yet seen a description of a speed maintaining system.

I'll keep my eyes open as I go through the manual again more carefully.

Steve

Thanks Steve. This hammer has been looking for good nails.

With AC motors cruise control is much easier to install,but some operating companies don't like it, and some in the UK disabled it. I have a suspicion that the Japanese don't use it. The hardest information to come by is just how the control handle(s) are programmed.

I won't say cruise control on MSTS is better or worse than the alternative, but it is different, and I personally like it.
    "Science is belief in the ignorance of experts." Richard Feynman

ALP46s do not have cruise control.

SES, other wise known as Speed Enforcement System, was a basically a simple PTC system that NJT was developing for use on its lines, similiar to Amtrak's ACSES. All recent NJT equipment had the ability to run under that system, however it was only implemented on NJT's Pascack Valley Line, a non electrified line between Hoboken and Spring Valley, NY. After all sorts of problems with it, SES was eventually abandoned and never implemented system wide.

SES was different than the typical method of running with Cab Signals and Speed Control as is common on all NJT lines and others around the country. Simply put, the "traditional" CSS and ATC process involves limiting a train's speed to that of the cab signal aspect.

The former SES and the current Amtrak ACSES is much more sophisticated involving computers analyzing deceleration rates etc...
    Last edited by shaunwhitman; 10-16-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: clarified some things

Shaun,

I'm working on the SDU, and I just need to understand how it functions a little better. I still have the image you sent me of the SDU a while back, and I also have the ALP46 operator's manual, but without seeing the display in action, I'm missing a few things. I get that green bars appear circumferentially to indicate the signal speed, but can you tell me what the various signal speeds are? The other thing I'm trying to understand better is the actual speed tick - it's a black bar, correct? Is it superimposed (over) the green signal speed indication bars, or do the bars "cut out" adjacent the speed tick? Also, do the signal bars do anything different if the speed is exceeded (like turn red or something)?

By the way, Kurt sent me the cab view earlier this week, and I'm digging into it to see how long I think it's going to take to complete.

Steve

Having seen the SDU in action, Kurt had its operation bang on with the Comet IV cabs. The display has two modes: CSS and SES. Normal operation is in CSS mode with the large number in green and the tick mark for the dial reading. The bars appears when there is a aspect in force THAT IS NOT CLEAR. The bars will come on to the authorized speed, which is 80 and 60 for Cab Speeds, 45 for Approach Limited and Approach Medium, 30 for Approach, and 20 for Restricting and Stop indications. Overspeed is displayed in red from the tick mark to the authorized speed with lights and buzzers going off. All those are speed representations of the fixed signals than the aspect representation normally used.

Currently the Comet IV, -V (both NJT and MNCR), MultiLevel, PL42AC, the old CNJ GP40's, and ALP46's have the SDU Display while the F40PH, the rest of the GP40's, P40DC, Comet III, ALP46A and the ALP45DP all have the older Microcab ADU.

I just realized something... Since I was beta testing the Comet IV's for Kurt, I never downloaded the final version when he was done with it, so I never actually saw the final version of that... too many things going on, and I know I moved on to something else when he told me he was done. I had the original version that had the older style ADU.

I recalled discussing with Kurt how to implement the SDU speed bars in the same manner that you handle an aspect display within MSTS, but I just didn't have the hard information about what speed levels corresponded.

Steve

Steve,
    Sent you an email you will find VERY helpful. I originally scanned them in for Kurt. Let me know what questions arise...

This thread is aging nicely in the wine cellar, so it's the perfect place to post up what I've been working on and hopefully not to draw too much attention...

Here's the cab view I've been working on for an ALP-46, based on the original model started by Kurt Kaminer, but with significant modifications I've made:

It's a 1280x960 sized cab view, I've tested it a bit, but would like to test it further (and have others test it as well, my preference for weeding out the bugs). I'd prefer to test it with the actual locomotive and setup for MSTS, but I do not have access to it at this time.

I have no word from Chuck on any timetable he might have for releasing the ALP46 package.

Steve
    Last edited by mestevet; 12-28-2010 at 05:26 PM.

It's looking great! Are the brakes set up like your Silverliner II's or the way that Kurt had all of his brakes set up, in terms of the way they apply?