Thread: Horn Quilling

Default Horn Quilling

I've heard on several occasions about the capability of quilling the horn in MSTS. Does anyone have any insight as to how to accomplish this? I presume it has something to do with editing the sms file to recognize the placement of cue points. This effect would really add some more realism to the in game experience with any engines equipped with a metering valve as opposed to a solenoid push-button.
    Jon Clark - Hermitage, Pa

St. Cloud, Minnesota, Untied States of Anarchy.

The capability doesn't exist beyond recording a quilled horn and looping it, as far as I know. The horn trigger is a simple on/off function.
    Elitist: (n) A person who can pronounce the word 'hundred' correctly

Thats how I always understood it too, Erick. Here is an idea I had that I doubt would work, but it would be interesting to be able to place a 0-100% attribute on the horn so you could click and drag the horn from off gradually to full flow (or full volume on the sound file), similar to how the independent brake is set up. I'm not sure how you could set up the sound file to match something like this, but this is the type of off the wall thinking that once in a while turns up something cool.
    Jon Clark - Hermitage, Pa

mkstarks Guest

That's not exactly true. There's a few soundpacks around here somewhere on TS (you'll have to forgive me, I'm at work) that will quill depending on pressure placed on the spacebar key. I'll have to look to see what soundset it is when I get home as I have them on my CCP MP20C's. Now mastering to lightly press the spacebar key before applying full pressure takes practice.

Computer keyboards have no pressure sensitivity so I can't see that working... Perhaps short presses with sound looping can do the trick but it won't be key press pressure.

GaryG

I agree, the other thing is that there's nothing within an .SMS file that would support playing a file based on keyboard sensitivity, even like volume (which isn't exactly what quilling is about).

I think part of the problem with including quilling in ANY simulation is going to be the physics of how a horn actually works. I'm not knowledgeable about the specifics, but know enough to understand that it's not necessarily a simple thing to figure out. It deals with airflow through the horn and can be quite complex, computationally (that's where I have some experience, from studies in aerodynamics, which is similar). If I understand correctly, the over and undertones (harmonics) behave differently, and make the horn sound quite different, not just in pitch or volume, but sort of in "fullness". Simply recording a regular horn sample and trying to "tweak" it (as one might do with a sound editing program) doesn't necessarily produce a realistic sound of a quilled horn. If someone comes up with an algorithm for it (like taking a "regular" horn sample and allowing it to be quilled), I'd love to see how they did it, but I don't think it would be at all simple.

Steve
    Last edited by mestevet; 11-04-2010 at 02:11 PM.