Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Steam Locomotive Drawings...

Default Free Steam Locomotive Drawings...

Morn'n Folks,

This may be of interest to anyone building a Steam Locomotive... I just found some nice scale drawings USRA locomotives available from Wikipedia... Unfortunately - they don''t have plans for all of the USRA line... Please add to this thread if you find any additional plans...

Heavy Santa Fe
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Fe_diagram.jpg

Light Santa Fe
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Fe_diagram.jpg

Heavy Mike
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...do_diagram.jpg

Light Mike
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...do_diagram.jpg
    Regards,
    Scott

A search around this will also bring up scale drawings for the CN Mikados that I started but have on hold until my current teaching gig is done. The light USRA Mikado was used by GTW and CV in the US. Finding drawings on the web doing a Google search is not painless, but can be rewarding if you take you the time and refine you search query with it. Thanks for the link.

Steve Callaghan

Hi Steve,

Yeah - these are actually helping me out a bit here... They are really Hi-Res and have more detail than the typical Model Railroader plans I normally work off of... I mentioned in another post the difficulty I have when it comes to modeling the area under the cab... It's always so hard to see... Typically - most frames seem to end just past the rear drivers under the firebox... If that's the case - what's the part that holds up the cab and there must be some realy substantial structure that connects the frame to the link going to the tender... It has to be able to handle the load of the entire train...
    Regards,
    Scott

Scott,

I know it may be difficult to find, but looking at erecting shop images of locomotives is often very helpful for seeing details like this. I know that PRR practice was often a bit different than in USRA designs, but I can't imagine the frames being terribly different. I'm looking at the book "Pennsy Power" right now, at photos of a PRR I1 Decapod under construction at Baldwin, that perfectly show the rear part of the frame under the firebox and the cab.

From these photos, and some others I have access to, it seems that PRR steamers at least, had attachments between the frame and the firebox at the front and the rear. The front attachments appear to be thick, gusseted brackets that are attached to the side of the frame (in the case of the I1, between the 4th and 5th driver). The rear attachment is a little more difficult to see in detail, but there appears to be a vertical beam that is attached to the frame, extending up into the cab at exactly the rear portion of the firebox. There's no indication of a rigid attachment to the firebox though, it looks more like a cradle type affair. The frame then extends to the rear of the cab to the location of the pocket for the drawbar for the tender. At that location are another pair of thick gusseted brackets extending out on either side of the frame that appear to support the rear of the cab (there's addtional structure between them and the cab that supports the stoker, since the I1s were so equipped).

I checked my additional photo resources for other PRR steamers, many of which were built by Baldwin, (looking for photos of the rear, without the tender, or in the erecting shop) and I can identify a similar pattern for others, although I haven't found the "perfect" image to highlight what I'm seeing.

Of course, USRA designs might have a different practice - the PRR favored Belpaire boilers with the "square" fireboxes, so the support could be different. Still, there's logic to supporting the front and rear of the firebox as a general practice. The support would have to allow for expansion of the firebox when it heated. This would mean that the "cradle" appearing support I mentioned above would make sense, as it could allow the firebox to expand without putting undue stress on the frame or firebox.

Scott, contact me via e-mail if you're interested in further information I have.

Steve

Hi Steve T,

I'll give you a shout in email and thanks for all your insights... I've been pretty captivated by these drawings since I found them and I spent a great deal of time staring at them last night... They really are helping my understanding of how a locomotive goes together... I wish I had more with this level of detail... These were government owned plans - right - so the rest of the USRA line should be available somewhere... While I choose to model with fairly crude shapes - I do like them to be as accurate as possible...
    Regards,
    Scott

mnjrr Guest

Hi Scott,

Have you come across any Erie Berkshire plans on Wikipedia?

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by mnjrr; 02-18-2011 at 02:45 PM.

There are plans for an Erie S-1 Berkshire (ALCO built) in the book "100 Years of Steam Locomotives" and I happen to have my copy open to that page as I write...

Steve

Rofl...
    Regards,
    Scott

I'll add that I have a scanner and I'm not afraid to use it.

I also know Walter has my e-mail address too...

Steve

This kind of information is what the forum needs more of. Maybe they should start a section devoted to drawings, not just steamers but all rolling stock, servicing facilities, etc. Advice where to get information. Just thinking outloud.
    Frank