Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Best Train Simulator

  1. #1

    Question Best Train Simulator

    I am looking to buy a new train simulator. I have read some reviews and am thinking of buying Trainz Simulator 2010: Enginers Edition. Is this the best one or can anyone talk me into buying another one.
    Graitis ago vobis.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissjb15 View Post
    Is this the best one or can anyone talk me into buying another one.
    There is no such thing as a "best one" because universal agreement cannot possibly be reached on that issue.

    There is such a thing as the simulator that will best suit your desires. What exactly are you looking for in your train simulating experience?
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

  3. #3

    Default

    I am loooking for a fairly realistic simulator that does not cost a fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Train-a-Mania View Post
    There is no such thing as a "best one" because universal agreement cannot possibly be reached on that issue.

    There is such a thing as the simulator that will best suit your desires. What exactly are you looking for in your train simulating experience?
    Graitis ago vobis.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissjb15 View Post
    I am loooking for a fairly realistic simulator that does not cost a fortune.
    If you want realism, then go with MSTS. You can find some fairly cheap copies if you do some searching around the internet.
    Max Brisben
    President of Northern Vermont Locomotive Works
    VORA Yard Master/Engineer

  5. #5

    Default

    I have MSTS and I think it is the best ever, but I just wanted something that was a little newer.
    Quote Originally Posted by vermont402 View Post
    If you want realism, then go with MSTS. You can find some fairly cheap copies if you do some searching around the internet.
    Graitis ago vobis.

  6. #6

    Default

    Well, TS2010 is going cheap. It has tons of available content too. However, you have to be patient with any railroad sim as there are bugs, oddities, and other problems. In the case of Trainz, a lot of older content (about 5%, if I had to guess) doesn't work, although there is a program underway to repair that. It's also (by far) the easiest to develop content for, I think many if not most would agree. I'm not trying to bias you but I'll be upfront, it's by far my favorite sim.

    I find MSTS a lot of fun as a pure driving sim, and the NEC and PRR Eastern Megapack are both pure joy to drive and also rather realistic from what I know. But I gave up on route creation a couple months after it came out.

    OpenRails also has a lot of potential. Content is all MSTS-based (AFAIK) but it has the potential to carry MSTS forward. It's "newer".

    Railworks - I won't use this because of the DRM, but if I can find an older, non-DRMed version, I'd definitely give it a shot. It's also "newer".

    WoS- ditto, though there is supposedly a manufacturer-sanctioned, permanent method around the product activation which I would accept. However, I have contacted the manufacturer to verify and have never received any replies, so I cannot confirm this.

    As for OpenBVE, I'm still getting my feet wet and really haven't given it the attention I believe it deserves, but I intend to make an effort to change that in the next month or so. Seems like there's quite a bit of potential there. But, hey, it's free.

    Problem with any sim isn't as much the age of the game as the quality of the content (though the game engine does play some role.) If you texture a model with hi-res photographs, you'll get photo-realistic content. If you use textures created in a paint program, you're likely to get artificial-looking, if not cartoonish, assets.

    Train-a-mania is right though, in pointing out you'll get a lot of different opinions on which one is best. However, the way I look at it, is that even a $30, $40 or $50 sim is almost nothing relative to the number of hours of enjoyment you get, when compared to, say, the cost of going to the movies, a concert, a night out partying at a club, and so on.
    Last edited by rrsignal2; 06-30-2011 at 01:49 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Would you say Trainz 2010 is as realistic as MSTS?
    Quote Originally Posted by rrsignal2 View Post
    Well, TS2010 is going cheap. It has tons of available content too. However, you have to be patient with any railroad sim as there are bugs, oddities, and other problems. In the case of Trainz, a lot of older content (about 5%, if I had to guess) doesn't work, although there is a program underway to repair that. It's also (by far) the easiest to develop content for, I think many if not most would agree. I'm not trying to bias you but I'll be upfront, it's by far my favorite sim.

    I find MSTS a lot of fun as a pure driving sim, and the NEC and PRR Eastern Megapack are both pure joy to drive and also rather realistic from what I know. But I gave up on route creation a couple months after it came out.

    OpenRails also has a lot of potential. Content is all MSTS-based (AFAIK) but it has the potential to carry MSTS forward. It's "newer".

    Railworks - I won't use this because of the DRM, but if I can find an older, non-DRMed version, I'd definitely give it a shot. It's also "newer".

    WoS- ditto, though there is supposedly a manufacturer-sanctioned, permanent method around the product activation which I would accept. However, I have contacted the manufacturer to verify and have never received any replies, so I cannot confirm this.

    As for OpenBVE, I'm still getting my feet wet and really haven't given it the attention I believe it deserves, but I intend to make an effort to change that in the next month or so. Seems like there's quite a bit of potential there. But, hey, it's free.

    Problem with any sim isn't as much the age of the game as the quality of the content (though the game engine does play some role.) If you texture a model with hi-res photographs, you'll get photo-realistic content. If you use textures created in a paint program, you're likely to get artificial-looking, if not cartoonish, assets.

    Train-a-mania is right though, in pointing out you'll get a lot of different opinions on which one is best. However, the way I look at it, is that even a $30, $40 or $50 sim is almost nothing relative to the number of hours of enjoyment you get, when compared to, say, the cost of going to the movies, a concert, a night out partying at a club, and so on.
    Graitis ago vobis.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Kingstree, SC, USA.
    Posts
    183

    Default

    I prefer Railworks. It took a short time to adjust to the differences, but I think RW offers the most realism and the best operation. RW is also a stable platform that is improving every day. There are some who would point out issues with RW, but most problems have been resolved. The latest scenarios offer protypical activities that I was never able to experience with MSTS. I recommend you take a serious look at RW. I like it!

  9. #9

    Default

    Not trying to argue or anything, but dosent RW require a DSL connection to be active all the time. I have a high performance laptop that I would put it on and if I am not where an open network is available, the way I understand it is you cany use it. If I'm wrong, correct me.
    Quote Originally Posted by harryadkins View Post
    I prefer Railworks. It took a short time to adjust to the differences, but I think RW offers the most realism and the best operation. RW is also a stable platform that is improving every day. There are some who would point out issues with RW, but most problems have been resolved. The latest scenarios offer protypical activities that I was never able to experience with MSTS. I recommend you take a serious look at RW. I like it!
    Graitis ago vobis.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissjb15 View Post
    Would you say Trainz 2010 is as realistic as MSTS?
    Well, graphically, more realistic. If you go to the Auran forums and search (or, perhaps, even just ask), you'll find people posting screenshots of a real-life scene followed by a matching Trainz scene, and Trainz can look pretty close if not spot-on. There's also a screenshots forum. The upcoming Maria's Pass and Donner Pass routes, although payware, are pretty much photorealistic from what I've seen. Unfortunately, the forum that really highlights these routes is open only to registered owners of Trainz.

    As for operational realism, I don't know, I'm not an engineer! But it does seem MSTS has more out-of-the-box realistic features, e.g. standard dynamic brakes, cab signals on the NEC line, etc. In Trainz, I believe a lot if not most diesels will have dynamic brakes, and at least one that I know of (I think an F-series unit) has working cab signals, though I don't know if any of the built-in routes use that loco, so you might have to do some tinkering. And doppler was only just introduced with the newest edition of Trainz, TS12, and it still has a few kinks to be worked out. Another nice plus is that two different groups have just published highly prototypical signals for Trainz, and one set I know for sure works in TS2010. It'll be awhile before they make it into any published routes, but it's nice to have accurate signalling.

    FYI, TS2010 also comes with some really wild routes besides standard freight/passenger, including a maglev route and a fun tram route. I never liked that stuff till I tried in it Trainz.
    Last edited by rrsignal2; 06-30-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •