Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hurry! By Tuesday Oct 18th.. Streamlines will discontinue some items...

I think that's just it. With technology and computer stuff getting bigger, more manageable and cheaper by the day - to say these 5 or so engines is 'taking up space and inventory'... It just makes SLI sound like they're operating out of a car trunk with a old cash register still. The BIG fear I have with any software maker 'discontinuing' something is the repercussions down the road. The few that had bought these will hold onto them no doubt. But say a UP route, or another CSX route et al comes out - free or payware. People are going to start itching for these old engines. And friends amongst members here and elsewhere may start PM'ing and e-mailing one another to get a copy of these old relics. And what the heck, might as well throw in the new VIA and CNW stock as well to be a nice guy. So SLI looses 5% here, 10% there, 50% to some kids, and so on. In cyberspace 'He who giveth, must keep it secure.'

Or, if SLI plans to refurbish these engine types from the ground up. I can see that too. But again, I for one would be kinda miffed to race out and buy these old jobs, only to find out better ones at twice the price hit the scene 2 or 3 months later.
    So no matter how one slices it, I think SLI is in a bit of a pickle with these things. Popular roads and engine types still I'd say. And if just scare tactics to amp the publicity and solidify market presence, they're smarter than I give them credit for.
    If not.....?
    Last edited by Noisemaker; 10-15-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Well it rang up 2 paks out my wallet, but I'm not gonna cry. I've wanted their 70macs for a long time and I know I'd kick myself in the butt later if I didn't get them. Just like I did when they pull the UP SD70m's and I didn't get them. I missed out on so many cool repaints of these models until the pak was re-released,
    Bill
    Rule of The Day: 147.7.16.B
    When all previously LISTED Trainhandling braking methods fail to produce desired results......JUMP!!!! Either way it's gonna hurt.

Not sure I understand the motives here... There's no real cost with e-Commerce to keep old inventory, aside perhaps from disk space.

Disappointed, since there are already about two or three dozen downloads in the F/L which are orphaned due to the "discontinued SLI UP set".

There are another three or four dozen that use the various SD70 shapefiles.
    Packerland Dev Release 2013-06 now available on Dropbox -- PM me for access...

That "discontinued" UP set is available again at their site and is not one of the items scheduled to be removed. It is on sale at 15% off until Monday night . Also, the BNSF/MRL SD70ACe pack is not on the list to be discontinued though it is at 30% off. Most ACe repaints are based off of that set, so those should be ok. There are three SD70MACs included in Scenic v2 and, correct me if I'm wrong, the non-flared model repaints should work with those. The CSX Engine pack is only $6.99 with the sale price. Another bargain considering the quantity of repaints for them.

I know this thread is a little old, but after reading through, I wondered if anything has changed as far as getting access to the discontinued packs?

Of course, when I bought a couple of packs before the deadline, I didn't get the UP/SP AC4400CW pack, because I didn't think I would use them and had to draw the line somewhere! Well now that the VORA is running a session where they would be perfect, they are not available (you know the story).

Has anybody tried to contact them to see if you can 'order' one of the discontiuned packs?

They do have a lot of nice repaints for them too! Darn!

JT

Well, it's not looking to good on getting any access to the old sets that were discontinued. I sent Steamlines an email asking if there were any way to purchase or if they were ever to be re-released! To date I have not heard anything and it has been a week. I'm not sure how fast they normally respond or if they usually do, unless its a tech question?
    Oh well, looks like I'll miss out on a bunch of those nice re-paints. I guess if they discontinue anymore I'll have to check all the repaints there are for them, before I decide I don't need them.
    Is there any type of list (yes I know it would be a PITA to keep it current) that shows what repaints are for what sets? I can do a search in F/L for SLI... but if everyone doesn't type it exactly the same way you might not find them all.

JT