Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another dumb thing !

Thats me - user error! Solid state hard drive? do you think it will help or do we still run up aginst jet game engine?

Hard to tell without trying it, most stuttering in trainsims is caused by scenery loading zillions of little files on the fly as you're moving along, the CPU and GPU have to stop momentarily and wait for the hard disk to find the files. Buying a newer video card is the first thing most people try, but the video card can only process what it receives, so it processes animation REALLY REALLY FAST then has to stop and wait for the hard disk to send more data to process REALLY REALLY FAST and the result is stuttering. Western Digital SATA drives with the huge hardware cache help somewhat, and regular defragging also helps, but it's still a bottleneck regardless how fast the rest of your system is. Some images I saved from a thread on another forum;

Left is a Maxtor L160 benchmark, right is a Western Digital drive, note the WD minimum transfer rate is almost as fast as the maximum transfer rate of the maxtor. Access time isn't improved by much, the system has to wait an average of 18 milliseconds for the maxtor to find something, 15.5 milliseconds for the WD. Another guy posted the same test from a solid state drive;

That shows the minimum transfer speed faster than the maximum of the WD, and 0.237 milliseconds for it to find a file. That's about 75 times the speed of the maxtor, which should mean the video card will have the data it needs without having to wait at all for any file. Unfortunately I don't have the money to try one right now, but as soon as I can get some cash I'll try an SSD before a new video card.

Don't forget to un-tick the chat feature, if you aren't chatting to people you don't need trainz to keep polling for messages.

Gives me back a little performance by stopping it.

Tried that first thing, zero difference. Also tried running with the username and password blank with the internet cable unplugged, zero difference.

Isn't a basic issue the continued use of an old core code. When a routine wants to do something typically it sets it parameters and makes a call to the real core program. However, as the demands for new routines happen the core code has no particular call to satisfy the routine's need. Thus a clever programmer finds that if they call three different core programs they can get the new job don but not we have 3 call for an action instead of one. SLOWWWW

Almost approaching the old interpretative BASIC.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 550 1gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator

I believe it is the old game engine. Instead of investing in a new one, the company invested zero dollars into laying it on the community to repair the content they uploaded to milk some performance of the Jet engine. Unfortunately, it will continue that way until the creators in the community finally say enough, the few faithful doing all the DLS repairs for them say enough and consumers buying new upgrades in hardware every release say enough. These companies have no reason to change when users are willing to accept the blame for poor performance and give them the content they need as well as forking out for new hardware. Not to mention accepting that buying faulty programs is acceptable.

I get the impression every release is wrapped around fixing content instead of running trains. I'm a Mac head and have been using this computer for five years now. A route built and run in TRS2006 runs full screen at 1680x1050 with no stutters with five or six trains running at the same time. Same route in TS2009, have to run windowed, dial all sliders down, turn off shadows and halve the trains. Same route in TS12, forget about it. Two trains max and have to simplify the route. All content the same, except trees in TS12, no errors shown. I laugh at the "TS12 makes better use of blah, blah blah" responses.

I was excited about the Mac release but it's the same old game. The built in content is pretty close to the 5GB library I have saved and used for a while, short of some older rolling stock I'm sick of repairing. No fault to the creators. Sadly it runs so bad I'm about to reinstall windows again and go back to TRS06. When this computer gives it up and I replace it, I'll try it again. Until then it's just not worth spending $1500 to upgrade my hardware and hope it runs as well as what I have in older versions on this machine.

Dave.........
    Last edited by sparky15; 01-05-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity.

Default Grizzlers one and all?

Dunno why every one here seems to be complain' 'bout the frame rates.

I have a 3.2GHz dual core with a 1GB video card. As long as it's not a GFisher route, frame rates are excellent.

Take these video clips as examples. All sliders are maxed out but even with the overheads that FRAPS imposes on frame rates they stand up well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfimcj5QMRw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIMabUI8Vgc

Simple answer, if the framerates were excellent FOR ME I wouldn't be complaining either. The fact that YOU get excellent framerates doesn't do ME any good.

GFisher routes ran great in TRS206 for me. TS09, TS12 or the Mac version, no go. Even the so called updates fall flat on their faces. Same hardware for five years now. Only change is the Trainz version. I guess I could buy a new computer and TRS2006 would run even better and maybe one of the new releases would run just as well. Why splash the cash if I have it now? Other than signaling which can be overcome with triggers or cloning signals and modifying their displays, I don't see much improvement in gameplay. All the rules in the Mac version and TS12 carry TRS2004 builds.
    A quick look of built in content shows most carry a build number of 06 and below and modified not to run in those versions.
    I made some ground textures in 06. All I had to do was over sharpen them to get them to display as well as TS12 without the normal map. Less overhead with a minor decrease from the TS09 versions I made. Most built in content in newer versions carries an 04 build as well. I don't see much gain if the losses are tied to functionality. I can tell you from use you gain no performance advantage since the release of TS2009.
    If you want to chase screenshots by all means go for it. I'm into operation and would rather have six trains running even if it's the default CP GP9s in 06. I never notice how bad they are when running a session to switch those Oily Rags tankers out. I do notice how bad it runs when I get a slide show with the new and improved content.

Dave.......

Oh, and by the way, can we ever get decent turnouts like RailSimulator without resorting to fixed objects? It's a train simulator after all and I think switches are a part of that. Instead we got SpeedTree.
    Last edited by sparky15; 01-05-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity.

I heard that, already got a tree and water simulator that has trains almost as an afterthought, we needed another one? Performance is one of them things I've thrown all kinds of money at, the only component in my computer that's the same as when I got TS2010 is the motherboard - I upgraded the PSU from 375 to 550 watts, upgraded from 1 gig generic RAM to 2 gigs Crucial Ballistix, upgraded from a Pentium D 2.8 to a Pentium D 3.4 to meet minimum specs, upgraded from an ATI X550 to a GEFORCE 8500GT, upgraded the hard drive as shown in a previous post. Then I bought TS2009 since it had much lower system specs, but I'm still looking at a jerky slideshow even lowering the sliders and tweaking video settings all over creation. The devs have no plans to optimize the game engine tho, so the only thing we can do is try to overpower it.