Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drop Down box wont drop down in action event editor

Hi Joseph,

just to add information: I've noticed the same problem on my installs, and heard from others they were affected too - but you only notice it if you're creating activities yourself that use the "action event" feature (e.g. to trigger a message when the user picks up a string of cars or stops at a specific platform). Any user that doesn't do his own activities, or does in his .act not use that feature, won't notice it.

The problem affects the "Action Events window in AE, in so far as if you click the little arrow next to the box in which you chose the type of event from a scroll down list, then that scroll down list refuses to open. The initial work-around I used is that I simply typed the first letters of the event I wanted to use into the box, which made it jump to the proper item of the list. At some point I noticed that using older dialog .dll files (which I had handy in a back-up folder) entirely cured the problem.

I'm not sure if it's only the English version that is affected, since I also have some MSTS Miniinstalls that use the German version of dialog.dll, and I can't recall ever having noticed the problem there. This however could also be conincidence, since I usually do activities on my main, "English" MSTS install and if I want versions in other languages, I edit the .act in WordPad and do the translating directly in there.

If you found time to go trouble shooting (certainly much appreciated), look for dialog.dll that comes with bin 1.8.xxx and specifically check if you see something relating to "action events", among them "Assemble train at location", "Pick-up cars", "Drop-off cars", "Load passengers", "Pick-up fuel" etc.

Cheers, Lukas
    Lukas a.k.a. Swissie

Quote Originally Posted by Swissie View Post
    Any user that doesn't do his own activities, or does in his .act not use that feature, won't notice it.
    Right. I did double check and it's working fine for me. I also should be using the latest Bin's files. (Though keep in mind it's been years since I've installed them, and I have also modified them since.)

Quote Originally Posted by Swissie View Post
    The problem affects the "Action Events window in AE, in so far as if you click the little arrow next to the box in which you chose the type of event from a scroll down list, then that scroll down list refuses to open. ... At some point I noticed that using older dialog .dll files (which I had handy in a back-up folder) entirely cured the problem.
    If you found time to go trouble shooting (certainly much appreciated), look for dialog.dll that comes with bin 1.8.xxx and specifically check if you see something relating to "action events", among them "Assemble train at location", "Pick-up cars", "Drop-off cars", "Load passengers", "Pick-up fuel" etc.
    Looking at my active dialog.dll file it seems I'm not using the latest one, if I go by file dates. I have modified mine, so the dates could be off, but it's still earlier than the latest Bin one that I have stored. (Its date is 25 Nov 2007, if someone else could confirm.) Too bad George didn't modify the version information so we could tell them apart easier!

Looking at the latest MSTSBin's English dialog.dll I can see the problem. It's easy to fix, though it requires specialized software...so it should probably be fixed and then made available for everyone.

when i d/l i open into a file in msts that i use for that purpose. my working file. I have since entirely uninstalled and reinstalled and now have that prob fixed . but now no updates will take effect. ie... x tracks doent work and new rds 4 wont do what the installer says it did. im wondering if maybe i didnt get all of the last msts out and hmmmmmmmmm';////// dunno

Quote Originally Posted by bweyn View Post
    when i d/l i open into a file in msts that i use for that purpose. my working file.
    I think you mean folder. It helps to use the best terminology possible when describing stuff, this stuff can already be really confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by bweyn View Post
    I have since entirely uninstalled and reinstalled and now have that prob fixed . but now no updates will take effect. ie... x tracks doent work and new rds 4 wont do what the installer says it did. im wondering if maybe i didnt get all of the last msts out and hmmmmmmmmm';////// dunno
    Did you uninstall all of MSTS or just MSTSBin?