Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Railworks 3 Noob Question.

Default Railworks 3 Noob Question.

First I would like to apologize if this is not the correct location for this question or if it has been answered already on this forum in another thread, but as a newcomer to Railworks 3 (Train Simulator 2012), I'm having difficulty installing add-on files. The problem I am having is not with the "official" routes and train packs that can be purchased from Steam, nor am I having issues with freeware that is in the form of .rwp files. These usually install with no problem. The issues I am having is with freeware files that need to be installed using the included RW_AssetSetup.exe file. As far as I can tell every time I try to install something with this included file the installation fails. I usually get a dialog box generated by the operating system claiming the file may not have installed correctly and the content does not show up in the Package Manager listing.

If anybody can shed some light on just what it is I'm doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it. If any additional information is required to help find a solution just ask! There are some really nice add-ons out there and I would love to be able to figure out how to use them! Thank you in advance.

My system uses the following:

Windows 7 Professional (64) bit
    8 GB RAM
    Core 2 Extreme 2.53 GHz CPU
    nVidia 260M SLI GPU

Where do you find this RW_AssetSetup.exe as my Railworks 3 doesn't have it or is it part of RW Tools.

vrsterling

Welcome to Railworks3.

Answer A: Be sure you "run as administrator" to start RW_AssetSetup.exe or you will have problems.

Answer B: When the dialog box to which you referred pops up (it will) click first choice (to reinstall) and wait while it runs a short program. When you get a pop-up that says
    file has been installed you are then good to go.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by JackD; 04-08-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: addition

The AssetSetup.exe is part of Mike Simpson's utilities for Railworks.

After expanding / un-zipping a download it will contain a Railworks folder which contains an ASSETS folder.

COPY this ASSETS folder and PASTE it into your Steam\SteamApps\Common\Railworks folder and you will be asked for permission to overwrite the existing one.

O t t o

trev123

Occasionally you will get a freeware file that contains an RW_AssetSetup.exe to install it instead of an .rwp file. After installing you can find it in your Railworks/Assets
    folder and in the Packager tab at top of Railworks opening page of game.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Otto's method accomplishes the same result. . .your choice.
    Last edited by JackD; 04-08-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Otto beat me to it, as usual

I want to thank everybody for the quick responses, however I tried all of the methods listed above and I'm still not seeing the new files under the Package Manager Tab. I would figure that Otto's method would work when nothing else does, but the new files are still not recognized. Any additional ideas? I'm thinking that I'm probably missing some simple crucial step that's causing the problem, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. (MSTS was so much simpler! Drop the new files in the Trainset & Consist folder, alias a cabview and soundset and call it a day!)

Yes I read the op original post wrong. I read it as if RW_AssetSetup.exe came with TS 2012. Apoun reading it again he means the installer that comes with some freeware add-ons. I have never had any problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by vrsterling View Post
    I would figure that Otto's method would work when nothing else does, but the new files are still not recognized.
    Not recognized by what ?

If after copying assets into the Railworks\Assets folder they show in their Assets folders then that's all that is required.

Then using them in the Editors their Assets folders have to be Object Linked to so that they can be used.

O t t o

vrsterling,

"I'm still not seeing the new files under the Package Manager Tab"

Nor will you! The new install will appear under "Packager" tab (located left of "Package Manager" tab) then "Assets", then listing of author of item installed.

Only items installed with .rpw or rpk. extensions appear under "package manager" tab. All assets will appear under "packager" tab.

If this seems confusing don't fret, using the system breeds familiararity. RW is my first railsim, coming after using Flightsim, and I was completely lost at first. It was worth the frustraion of learning the system.

Ah, now I get it! Sorry, I'm a little unfamiliar with this simulator and its inner workings. In that case thank you for the assist, everybody! I'm sure I will have some more dumb questions in the near future as I get more into scenario creation and so forth.