Thread: Open Rails Experimental Releases

Default Open Rails Experimental Releases

I thought I should congratulate the OR team for providing the Experimental Releases. The frequency of these releases is a re-assurance that this is no vapourware. User feedback is being taken into account, problems are being analysed, solutions are being devised, code is being cut. I feel involved.

This is so much better than commercial products when you're told it's coming, it'll be great! Then after a period when you think it must've died it appears and what a crushing disappointment! Bugs everywhere, no sign that any of the developers knew anything about railways, and you're told like it or ..... go somewhere else. And by the way, no refund!

Keep up the good work the OR team, my timetable is now organised around the weekly releases.

Dennis

Could you provide alittle more info? Just WHAT was it they released? What does it do, how does it affect operation of MSTS??

Quote Originally Posted by dennisat View Post
    Keep up the good work the OR team, my timetable is now organised around the weekly releases.
    Thanks for the support!

I agree with Dennis. I haven't downloaded one, but there mere presence helps me see what is being worked on and thus keeps up my confidence in the project.
    Thank you, team.
    Christopher

The experimental releases are great and i look forward to each one.
    My only concern is that OR seems to be concentrating more on MP, than getting the basics correct.

This is in no way a complaint, as the OR team do this all for nothing, just a small concern.

Mike.

Based on comments over at ET, i wouldn't get too concerned just yet. MP is getting a lot of discussion because it is the first public iteration of it, whereas we've seen a few iterations of most other features.
    Packerland Dev Release 2013-06 now available on Dropbox -- PM me for access...

MP is new for train simulators, thus we are learning a lot from users and are working hard (and quickly) to address those feedbacks and bugs. I think version 1309 is much better than 1251 now, as we have fixed several fatal bugs and added more capabilities to the dispatcher window.

The quick iterations of MP may give people the impression that MP is the current focus of OR, which is not true: new features are implemented by the team, and the signal system is undergone major changes as well. These are major changes that cannot be included into the repository without a lot of testing.

jtang, thank you for your work on this. I think multi-player is a very exciting development. I know you've already had fun with it and I think it's only the beginning. As Open Rails gets closer to a 1.0 release with solid signals and AI, it will become even more significant.
    Christopher

The experimental releases are a great idea.And thanks to the open rails team for the single player dispatcher view resume after save fix in the last X release!It's a really nice feature and adds much to open rails.