Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freight cars from the 50's to the 70's

Longmont, CO (ex-Coon Rapids, MN; exx-East Hanover, NJ)

Default Freight cars from the 50's to the 70's

Anyone know of a decent pack of freight cars built and used between the 50's and the 70's? It can be multiple packs.
    -Dustin

If you can't view my Photobucket photos due to exceeded bandwith, open them in a new tab.

Many boxcar sets that begin with 6pack*** in the file library contain many different cars from the 50's-70's. Repaints by Mark Giltz.

Rob

Hi Dustin,

Christopher released some excellent looking 1950s to 1970s freight car packs. I believe that these car packs are available to download from the Train-Sim library.
    Last edited by mnjrr; 12-02-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Walter Conklin
    www.openrails.org

Longmont, CO (ex-Coon Rapids, MN; exx-East Hanover, NJ)

Quote Originally Posted by mnjrr View Post
    Hi Dustin,

Christopher released some excellent looking 1950s to 1970s freight car packs. I believe that these car packs are available to download from the Train-Sim library.
    Christopher who?
    -Dustin

If you can't view my Photobucket photos due to exceeded bandwith, open them in a new tab.

Hi Dustin,

I am referring to Christopher Parker. I did not know his last name when I wrote my message.

I highly reccommend checking out the Train-Sim file library for additional car packs.
    Last edited by mnjrr; 12-02-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Walter Conklin
    www.openrails.org

Paul Charland has some wonderful equipment as well, ranging from the 1920's right into the 1970's and 80's. There are two packs in the library "American" and several "Canadian" packs. Worth checking out IMHO.

The thing is, there was such a drastic change in freight cars between the 1950s and the 1970s, one could have a very diverse fleet. Car capacities nearly, or did double. The banning of roof walks, friction bearing trucks, full height ladders, and a lot of other changes came about in this time frame. The few remaining "war emergency" wooden-sheathed cars ran out their last miles during this time frame, along with the introduction of the first covered hoppers as we know them today, auto-racks that were true purpose built cars, and not modified boxcar designs came about. Coal hopper capacity grew from an average of 50 tons to 85 tons. The first 100 ton capacity coal hoppers came about in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Tank cars started growing in size as did boxcars. Fifty and sixty foot boxcars all but replaced the once standard forty footer by the late 1970s. True, forty foot boxcars could be found well into the 1980s, but their days were numbered. The introduction of mechanical cooling systems for reefers replaced the conventional ice bunkers. Trailer-on-flat-car (TOFC) really took off in the late 1960s and early 1970s. My suggestion to you would be to start looking through photos of the specific railroad or region you're trying to model in your time frame. See what was being run and go from there. There is a lot of freeware here, and a lot available in the payware market, especially from BLW (http://valleypass.com/Sales/Sales.htm) A little research on the internet can yield a plethora of good information.
    Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>
    Norfolk Southern: It looks like Darth Vader on rails to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CRQ5508 View Post
    The thing is, there was such a drastic change in freight cars between the 1950s and the 1970s, one could have a very diverse fleet. Car capacities nearly, or did double. The banning of roof walks, friction bearing trucks, full height ladders, and a lot of other changes came about in this time frame. The few remaining "war emergency" wooden-sheathed cars ran out their last miles during this time frame, along with the introduction of the first covered hoppers as we know them today, auto-racks that were true purpose built cars, and not modified boxcar designs came about. Coal hopper capacity grew from an average of 50 tons to 85 tons. The first 100 ton capacity coal hoppers came about in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Tank cars started growing in size as did boxcars. Fifty and sixty foot boxcars all but replaced the once standard forty footer by the late 1970s. True, forty foot boxcars could be found well into the 1980s, but their days were numbered. The introduction of mechanical cooling systems for reefers replaced the conventional ice bunkers. Trailer-on-flat-car (TOFC) really took off in the late 1960s and early 1970s. My suggestion to you would be to start looking through photos of the specific railroad or region you're trying to model in your time frame. See what was being run and go from there. There is a lot of freeware here, and a lot available in the payware market, especially from BLW (http://valleypass.com/Sales/Sales.htm) A little research on the internet can yield a plethora of good information.
    Thom,

Great information (and thanks for the plug ). I have been working exclusively on 1945-1955 cars since the release of the Buffalo 1970 set. You are correct, there is a word of difference between 1950 (where there were still wood, outside braced 'WWI emergency" freight cars, ice reefers, 50-70 ton cars, automobile box cars, 50 flats with 20 foot trailers, etc) and 1970.

Some progress shots here:

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthr...Progress-shots

Rick

Hi, Christopher here (Christopher Parker otherwise known as conductorchris). Indeed I've made sets for Southern, Rutland, NYO&W, LNE and others - as well as a few for BLW that haven't been released yet. I hope to do more. Any suggestions?
    C

Some suggestions for more 1950s - 1960s Sets: how about some Midwestern railroads - Monon, NKP, Wabash, IC, C&EI?
    Thanks.