Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrizo Gorge Version 3.0: An All New Route

For now, I intend on making the whole route 1960's, as I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I would much rather have the route be accurate than "match up" with the Surfliner route. I rather despise mixed-era routes honestly. And as far as Southern Pacific, I have specifically chosen late 1960's in order to have SP, because after Hurricane Kathleen in '76, SP sold the line to Kyle Railways, which after the line was rebuilt in '83 ran for a short time with blue and white GP9s until the line was shut down again due to fires. It was during the rebuilding of the line post-hurricane that the trolley operations started. Therefore, SP never ran during the period that the trolleys were operating.
    Sean Kelly

Some shots showcasing the southern entrance to the gorge, just railroad-east of Dubbers. The area between the first tunnel and Dubbers is characterized by deep sand cuts.

The first tunnel in Carrizo Gorge.

Around the corner and into the gorge.
    Sean Kelly

Testing out some new custom terrtexes in my ongoing effort to get the ideal desert look...

Train 451 roaring up the 2.2% non-compensated grade from Coyote Wells to Doz Cabezas at Silica.

I will probably lighten the terrtexes west of the gorge as well.
    Sean Kelly

Is there any project that you can't make look fantastic? Spent many nights camping with friends out in that neck of the woods, superb!

Thank you Marshall! My hope is to drive down to SoCal and back this coming summer as sort of a senior trip before college! I wish to camp as much as possible, including out in the desert. Would be nice if Carrizo Gorge was at least partially repoened by then, though I'm very doubtful...

P.S. I need to get my hands on the SP GP9s from Valleypass...
    Last edited by PerryPlatypus; 12-27-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Sean Kelly

Approaching Tunnel 7, deep in the Gorge.

It's a looooong way up.
    Sean Kelly

Somewhere to run old SP, Wonderful

Talking Young Whipper-snappers --- HAH

Gee guys, you all that are doing this route are just infants. I've been at it since I was 63 back in 2002, and now I am almost
    74 and still at it.

As for the route at hand. That is a grand rendition of a route that I know little about, but have seen enough pictures of
    to figure train crews should have gotten hazardous duty pay just to operate on it. I'm particularly glad to see that high
    trestle done so well. Few simmers know how these can be such a bear to create. Currently, I am fixing some quirks
    discovered in a major bridge on the relatively soon to be released RMD-WEST (Milwaukee Rd.) as well as progressing
    the "GAP".

For an intricate trestle, though not quite as high as the one in this thread, take a look at the "S" trestle on the NP
    Wallace Branch. This appears in the MLWRMD4 which was released back about 2006. Lucas Lussar is combining it
    with a MLWRMD3 done just for his use, and hence the new route will combine the 3rd & 4th subs. of the Milwaukee Rd.,
    Rocky Mtn. Div., and will also include more of the NP.

Again, I look forward to the release of this new Carrizo Gorge route. It looks great.

J. H. Sullivan (senior member by age)
    (aka landnrailroader)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    Why yes, I do remember you! Unfortunately I remembered you under a different user name, so I had no idea this was you. My reasoning for doing Carrizo Gorge was to make an accurate rendition of the route as far as track and scenery, and if I remember, your version was sort of a semi-fictional version with steel bridges and such, so I decided to please myself in this instance by making a version of the route that would suit my own desires.

As far as your age, I'm under the impression that a few of the very best route-builders and content creators here are some of the youngest members. I've been working on route building since I was just 10 years old. As far as the A&C, I have not had the chance to personally download it, though from the screenshots I've seen it appears to be a very well-done route.

I do... somewhat... remember the conversation about the bypassed tunnel on the Seligman Sub, but I did not realize that you took it as me attacking you personally. I remember it as me just trying to correct someone about the fact that the tunnel has been bypassed. I didn't think I was being rude.

I thought I did accept your apologies a long time ago, but if not, I accept them now.

And just so you know, it has never been my intention to rival someone else's in-progress route. I honestly thought that you had altogether dropped your own version of Carrizo Gorge.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you Marshall! I'm glad to know someone native to the area believes it accurately represents the area. Pacific Southwestern should fit in very well!

Haha yes I suppose I entered the route-building realm quite a bit later than most, though I feel I have caught onto it pretty fast.

Yes, running through the gorge must have always been a bit frightening, and the sight of derailed cars down the slope below the Seven Sisters trestles at the north end of the gorge surely had many engineers sitting on the edge of their seats!

As far as Goat Canyon Trestle, special care was taken to make the trestle as prototypical as possible using the available trestle pieces included with the route. There is a chance I may actually redo this trestle at one point to be even more realistic, but we'll see, as that will a HUGE undertaking.

I have run over the S-trestle you speak of on your RMD4, seen pictures of it, and actually visited the former site of the structure on the west side of Lookout. The trestle indeed turned out very well!

The inclusion of the MRL 4th and 10th Subs in RMD-West will certainly be very appreciated by myself and many others, especially since owner's of SLI's MRL Gas Train will finally have some territory to run it on. Evaro Hill in particular will be VERY awesome to run on!

Thank you very much for your interest in Carrizo Gorge, and at this rate, it will be only a couple months until a first version release is possible!
    Sean Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    Approaching Tunnel 7, deep in the Gorge.

It's a looooong way up.
    This looks beautiful! I have both of the earlier Carrizo Gorge/SDA&E routes and spent many hours running on the original. This will be my favorite the second it is released.

John DeLamater