Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train Simulator App.

Smile Train Simulator App.

Is there a Train Sim app that can be run on an iPad? Is anyone working on one?
    Harry

Yes. Trainz.

Quote Originally Posted by hcoburn View Post
    Is there a Train Sim app that can be run on an iPad? ............
    Harry
    The answer to your question as written is YES in fact it is called "Train Sim" and a free version called "Train Sim Lite" Just search the Apple App Store for "Train Simulator. Neat little apps if you like going around and around thru the same scenery. BUT if you REALLY meant to ask "is there an iPad app that duplicates MSTS" the answer is NO.
    Charles
    ConBuilder Beta Tester

I think what some people fail to comprehend is the fact that Microsoft Train Simulator, a program we must consider as abandonware (and yes, Microsoft abandoned not only the sim, but the community as well), is an incredibly old, graphic intensive one. Why anybody would want MSTS on an iPad is beyond me. If you want to simulate railroad operations, sit down in your chair in front of your computer like the crews do. But that's my honest opinion. Another point I'd like to make is this: even if somebody made an attempt at such a program, today's iPad is nowhere near advanced enough to simulate the effects that (MSTS+RW+ORTS+Run8) the Big Four have. Which is the point of simulation games. You're supposed to sit down and enjoy it on your computer, not on the subway, light rail or bus. Or your kitchen counter, for that matter.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    bclw.ca crcprailway.com
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

I think it's time to inject a little factual information into this conversation.

This is the ipad/iphone app:
    http://www.trainzmobile.com/
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trai...405824661?mt=8
    There are separate ipad/iphone/android versions.

Here is a review that I googled but have not watched:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwM0M7juxG0
    There is a bunch more.

I have the iphone version. It cost 99 cents, I think, so I figured it would be a nice thing to do while I'm waiting somewhere or traveling. As it happens I am a busy man and I have yet to really spend any attention on this, perhaps validating some of the other comments?

Christopher

That is just one of them, Chris. A search of the Apple App Store for "Train Simulator" gets:Trainz Simulator (the iPad ver) $4.99
    Trainz Driver $2.99
    Alpine Train 3D $2.99
    Wheels of Steel - 3D free
    Train Sim $0.99 and the Free Lite version

And BTW the OP posted in the Microsoft Train Simulator forum asking for an iPad Train Simulator. He did not post the question in the Trainz forum.
    Charles
    ConBuilder Beta Tester

Charles.
    And BTW the OP would you pleas translate the phrase?
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by hcoburn View Post
    Charles.
    And BTW the OP would you pleas translate the phrase?
    Harry
    By the way Original Poster
    Charles
    ConBuilder Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by demando View Post
    I think what some people fail to comprehend is the fact that Microsoft Train Simulator, a program we must consider as abandonware (and yes, Microsoft abandoned not only the sim, but the community as well), is an incredibly old, graphic intensive one. Why anybody would want MSTS on an iPad is beyond me. If you want to simulate railroad operations, sit down in your chair in front of your computer like the crews do. But that's my honest opinion. Another point I'd like to make is this: even if somebody made an attempt at such a program, today's iPad is nowhere near advanced enough to simulate the effects that (MSTS+RW+ORTS+Run8) the Big Four have. Which is the point of simulation games. You're supposed to sit down and enjoy it on your computer, not on the subway, light rail or bus. Or your kitchen counter, for that matter.
    Flight simulation enthusiasts feel the same level of neglect, if not worse. There's no OpenRails equivalent for FSX, which despite it's design, has more flaws than Windows Vista or even other bad software. I can't even get 30FPS in MSTS in Windows 7. OR on the other hand? Over 150FPS on some routes. Not bad, right?

Quote Originally Posted by demando View Post
    You're supposed to sit down and enjoy it on your computer, not on the subway, light rail or bus. Or your kitchen counter, for that matter.

+1

But by all means, if there is an app for that, then go ahead and play it while on the subway. But just don't take such a game and call it a simulator There is no simulator to be had for $4.99. Only a $4.99 game.