Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: You Have To laugh...................

Quote Originally Posted by styckx View Post
    No one is angry and upset.. I don't hold back and sugar coat what I have to say.. I don't dance around my words to impress anyone and to stay in good graces with an internet audience. I'm not browsing trainsim forums to protect and defend any investment and future income. You just proved my point though with your followup. RSC are a digital sweatshop with poor QA and little to no regard for its customers.. It's a cash vacuum who pray on people who think one day they might be different from exactly what they have been day in and day out for over 5 years now.. Good for you for making money, capitalism and such but don't expect there not to be a few of us who call that company out for exactly what it is..

Otto.. I respect you, no matter the differences and arguments we've had and I will never forget the email you sent when you found out what RSC did to me. The fact is... It's because of this exact line of thinking that RSC succeed. Everyone thinks the next DLC, or the next update will be the one that is something more than just a cheap plastic accessory glued onto a 8 year old program.
    Oh believe me, coming from a previous 3D background, and an active railroader, they hate hearing from me on their beta forum. I literally pick every little detail out on their stuff. When they give me their petty "Too late, not a high priority fix" thing, you can be assured the top 3 people there get a full inbox. I'm hoping that with Dovetail comes changes, if not; myself and the company I currently work for plan on doing something about it.

Mountin Man Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    The massive commercial success of three mainstream train sim programmes not to mention numerous smaller ones, seems to indicate many people find it anything but boring. In any case, it's not just about driving the trains, it's about recreating part of the world in a virtual form or maybe recapturing a long closed route or era otherwise consigned to history.
    Might have been referring to the practice of simply hauling goods and people from point A to point B while just sitting in a chair doing nothing.

Many parts of TS are, in fact, incredibly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountin Man View Post
    Many parts of TS are, in fact, incredibly boring.
    And so is driving long and slow moving real freight trains on mostly single tracks railroads in the USA !

If you find driving in some TS routes boring then you have a choice, get some which are not boring, a real US freight train engineer not having that choice !

Mountin Man Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post

And so is driving long and slow moving real freight trains on mostly single tracks railroads in the USA !

If you find driving in some TS routes boring then you have a choice, get some which are not boring, a real US freight train engineer not having that choice !

Correct, so what specifically is your point, as it relates to what I was previously discussing. Your "solution" is inane. "If it's boring get some that aren't boring"? Seriously? That's your contribution? Previous attempts to discuss ways to make things not boring have met with considerable resistance on your part, so what is your actual "solution".

Quote Originally Posted by Mountin Man View Post
    Correct, so what specifically is your point, as it relates to what I was previously discussing. Your "solution" is inane. "If it's boring get some that aren't boring"? Seriously? That's your contribution? Previous attempts to discuss ways to make things not boring have met with considerable resistance on your part, so what is your actual "solution".
    Don't buy or use what you do not like !

Simple !

Previous attempts to discuss ways to make things not boring have met with considerable resistance on your part.
    Now that is funny, considering that I have been and always will be the one who has contributed more than anybody else to make Train Simulators more interesting and enjoyable to run trains in since day 1 of MSTS.

As for "boring" it depends what it means to others.

I need variety in all I do as it is the Spice of Live and anything repetitive is boring to me, like using an X-Box to play mindless games !

X-Box to play mindless games !
    So how exactly would say playing Forza 5 on the XBOX platform be any more mindless then playing one of your train games with toy train physics? -

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/games/fm5

How about GT6 on the PS3, is that just mindless game play compared to how you use the current crop of choo-choo games? -

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/tracks/
    Asus Maximus VI Extreme Intel Z87, Intel Core i7-4770K, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB PC3-19200 (2400MHz), EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN SuperClocked, Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD (Windows 8.1 Pro 64)/Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD (Programs), CaseLabs Merlin SM8 with Corsair AX1200 PSU

If anyone finds a train simming boring, why are they still here? I've played my share of motor sport and flight sims in my time which could be ranked as boring - driving 40 laps around the Silverstone GP circuit in dead last place, or spending 40 minutes in EF2000 flying to my target on autopilot, to get shot down as I approached. But like most activities in life which combine boring and interesting bits, you offset one against the other. Ultimately life itself is one big sim as our clocks run down towards death (!!), with probably far more time spent bored or disinterested than actually doing something useful or productive.

I've got to say that with the latest steam loco offerings from the likes of JT with their 4MT, and the mod packs from Steam Sounds Supreme, I don't find the time to get bored. In fact it's pretty scary how fast some of journeys go! I know this is not the answer for the modern diesel fan, but it does demonstrate the extra levels of immersion that can be reached with advanced scripting. The flip-side of this extra "realism" is of course that one man is doing the job of two. Nevertheless, personally it's given TS2014 a whole new lease of life, and who knows what the future may bring as these boundaries are pushed further by enterprising third parties, and probably well beyond what RSC had in mind

Ken

If anyone finds a train simming boring, why are they still here? I've played my share of motor sport and flight sims in my time which could be ranked as boring - driving 40 laps around the Silverstone GP circuit in dead last place, or spending 40 minutes in EF2000 flying to my target on autopilot, to get shot down as I approached. But like most activities in life which combine boring and interesting bits, you offset one against the other. Ultimately life itself is one big sim as our clocks run down towards death (!!), with probably far more time spent bored or disinterested than actually doing something useful or productive.
    Spot on, Vern !

I am bored at the moment, waiting for something interesting happening when using my computers, them having been a great part of my life for over 30 years and living on my own there is nothing much else I am interested in and can do.

Eating good food. my second main interest, is limited having to watch my weight since a heart attack 10 years ago and diabetes-2 !

Being Austrian and not being able to eat lots of gateaux filled with butter cream, pancakes, Jaffa cakes, pastries and Apfelstrudel, etc, hurts !

If anyone finds a train simming boring, why are they still here?
    I think that's already been answered over and over again. If the user isn't required to actually watch and control in-train forces, plan out where to start braking (or release) while at the same time watching signal indication (or limits of main tack authority) while complying with operating/train handling rules and speed restrictions it's, well boring.

On to the question why are they still here?, many aren't anymore, they left a long tome ago. I guess there are still a few of us that actually have a clue as to what goes on in the real world in hopes that one day a developer will actually simulate it properly.

I've played my share of motor sport and flight sims in my time which could be ranked as boring - driving 40 laps around the Silverstone GP circuit in dead last place
    Yeah I can imagine running a racing simulation with a keyboard would be pretty boring. With racing titles today simulating understeer/oversteer, brake lockup/fade, tire tread/temperature, tire contact condition (wet/dry), you name it, it's all about force feed back and without a decent wheel and pedals the immersion just isn't there.

or spending 40 minutes in EF2000 flying to my target on autopilot, to get shot down as I approached.
    Fly some realistic GA aircraft in a decent flight sim (X-Plane and Prepar3D are used for actual training) with the autopilot off as you approach an airport in heavy cross winds and see how boring it is.
    Asus Maximus VI Extreme Intel Z87, Intel Core i7-4770K, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB PC3-19200 (2400MHz), EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN SuperClocked, Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD (Windows 8.1 Pro 64)/Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD (Programs), CaseLabs Merlin SM8 with Corsair AX1200 PSU