Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Mountain Passes - pathetic physics

Default Canadian Mountain Passes - pathetic physics

I resumed a saved Scenario where the train was stopped on the 1.4% upgrade in the siding at some unpronounceable name (Illewatchamacallit......something like that).
    Speed limit is 20 mph.
    Braking realism set on "Hard".

Light changed to Clear.
    I put the throttle into notch 1 and released the brakes.

The locomotive moved, the train stretched out and before I could do anything, the speed had exceeded 20 mph and I was getting penalty points!!!

All in Notch 1 and uphill with a long, heavy, train!!!

Yep....this is really realistic!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I begin to think the physics in Trainz is more realistic, Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I agree, Vern.

Operating a long, heavy (read "North American") train in TS2014 is just so unrealistic that it provides no sense of accomplishment.

This rubber-band effect is like watching an inchworm moving along a twig; first the front end moves out whilst the back stays anchored, the little grub stretches to its full length and then the back legs hurry forward to catch up.

I found a YouTube clip which shows it perfectly! )

IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Just to put the final nail in the coffin of this physics fiasco, I opened up a very similar Activity created for the MSTS version of Rogers Pass and ran it in Open Rails.

Same type of train (stacks) but with 4 locos and 79 cars, starting at Revelstoke and heading eastwards.

At Twin Butte, where the grade increases, the couplers were at maximum stretch over the length of the train (2.7 metres) and the train was at maximum throttle (8) at 33 mph (speed limit being 35 mph).

Within a minute of hitting that grade the speed was down to 27 mph, which it managed to maintain until I backed out of the Activity a couple of minutes later.

The difference in performance between the two formats is akin to the difference between what comes out of North Korea via smuggled video and what comes out via the state-controlled media.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I assume you're referring to DCC mode?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rdamurphy View Post
    I assume you're referring to DCC mode?

Robert
    I never personally use DCC mode preferring to operate in "Cab" mode but certainly with decently set up motive power such as included with the Mojave Sub in TS12, you get a good steady acceleration and don't take off like a rocket in Notch 1. I'm sure it's not perfect either and only a real "heavy metal" engineer would be able to confirm but, put it this way, it feels much less unrealistic!

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    The difference in performance between the two formats is akin to the difference between what comes out of North Korea via smuggled video and what comes out via the state-controlled media.
    Surely only the facts?

Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River Route for MSTS

Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Surely only the facts?

The analogy being fantasy vs reality.

The reality is, that this release has been rushed out the door. It is nice eye candy, but the amount of flaws in the physics is unbelievable.
    The east bound scenario which has 2 parts, has you stop at a red light at illwhatcyoumacallit, but for the scenario to complete, you have to place the cow catcher right on the signal for the scenario to complete.
    When the brakes are released, and about 10 seconds after the brakes have recharged, you hear the brake handle click into the release position, WTF.
    It speeds up where it should not, going up a grade, apply a small reduction, release the brakes, and when it has recharged, the speed drops from 30mph to 16mph, but only after the brakes are released.
    Speed is never constant, always notching up and down, even on the grades. They bollocks this one, it runs like a hairy dog.
    Last edited by TurboBlower; 02-20-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Have replaced the 3 diesels of this 100 wagon manifest consist with 4 Freeware ones at the front and rear, 3 diesels only not being enough in my opinion to drive this train up and down gradients.

Have removed the couplers slack in the JL\CP E-Type couplings and have no problems using Dynamic Brakes !

http://www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/video/cp-dynamic-brakes.wmv
    Alt-Enter to view Full-Screen.

Mind you, using Krellnut's Cruise Control set at the speed allowed by most of the tracks I do not have to concern myself with the speed trains are doing up and down gradients, the Cruise Control maintaining it and can enjoy watching the scenery, after having modified the CP's dismal blue scenery displayed in the distance.

If real US locos used by freight trains would have Cruise Control then it could be used to maintain the appropriate speed like autopilots in planes can do maintaining sufficient airspeed depending on planes attitude !

Bottom line, I am not going to continue paying $ 45 for such routes and then have to improve them myself to suit my preferences, I had to do with most routes released by RSDL and RSC !