Thread: Hide overhead wires - suggestion

Default Hide overhead wires - suggestion

There was a discussion a long time ago about hiding overhead wires over those parts of a route that are not electrified. The last I heard about it was a method of making non-electrified track "static" in the *.w files. There even existed a small program ("Hidecatenary" or similar) to do that in a more efficient and easy way. As this is a common problem, I'd suggest the OR team could find a practicable and less dangerous method to differentiate between electrified and non-electrified track, in collaboration with Goku maybe, so that there is overhead wire only visible over electrified track. Thank you!

I also mention this over at ET. There are a few UK routes that use both electric and non electric track. Obviously, the route authors have laid down overhead wire gantries for the electrified sections, but as soon as you hit non-electric track, the gantries are gone but that pesky wire is still there.

A simple solution would be to toggle the overhead wires on/off in game. Perhaps the wire toggle on/off could also cut the power for the player train, so you must have the wires toggle on for power. Wouldn't matter for diesels or steam.

Thanks
    Last edited by coolhand101; 01-07-2017 at 11:35 AM.

That would be a tolerable compromise for existing routes, although non-electrified sidings etc still would show the unwanted overhead wire when in electrified mode.
    For building new routes there should be a better solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes44 View Post
    That would be a tolerable compromise for existing routes, although non-electrified sidings etc still would show the unwanted overhead wire when in electrified mode.
    Yes having a mixture like that it would, just like in MSTS. However, i wouldn't be to concern driving pass non- electrified sidings with an electric train.

Perhaps one day for existing routes, OR can apply the wire over the track if a OLE 'gantry' type shape is specified in the W file.

That would be the best solution for existing routes.

Thanks

There is an answer --- don't rely on the game to provide your gantry wire. Use CatMaster to add it as scenery objects.

When I built the IRM route, I used CatMaster to place my poles and wire over the electrified track, and painstakingly deleted out the wires and poles that didn't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhand101 View Post
    Perhaps one day for existing routes, OR can apply the wire over the track if a OLE 'gantry' type shape is specified in the W file.

That would be the best solution for existing routes.
    Why not add your suggestion to the Open Rails roadmap?

(There are instructions - top left card - which include posting a suggestion via email.)
    Chris Jakeman

Quote Originally Posted by cjakeman View Post
    Why not add your suggestion to the Open Rails roadmap?
    Yes, I wanted to make sure first, if there was a better method for existing routes.

Another thing i notice with wires. If the route has it's own shape for the wire. OR will not show the wire on the track with superelevation, as the default wire in the TRK file is hidden.

So i created a track profile with a wire. Now the superelevation track has wire. However the route has also non-electrified track, so on this track, there is no wire, but as soon as you approach a curve with superelevation, the wires appear in mid-air. Same thing applies with 3rd rail track.

Easiest solution is to disable superelevation, but it is a very welcome feature to miss out on!

I'm unsure if you can create two track profiles in a route for SE?

Thanks