Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Transitioning MSTS from AMD-PC to Intel-PC a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Head-scratching...

Can you provide references to the motherboard sound issue? I've been googling but haven't found that yet. Some people do have problems sending separate programs out the front and rear jacks; it's tricky to get around. But in principle MSTS should be taking all those streams and rendering them into whatever sound system is available in DirectX - not the hardware itself. It's true that having too many streams will slow down the sim to the point where it eventually crashes; that's another symptom of MSTS' age, but should not be related to what kind of sound hardware is in the computer (within reason). I'd like to know if it's happening, and why.

OTOH, a good separate card *does* provide better (barely to noticeably, depending on which mb chip you have and which sound card you get) sound in most cases than motherboard sound, no matter how "high end" the latter is. I've considered getting one, if for no other reason than getting rid of the Realtek drivers which have always caused intermittent problems. Most of the separate card makers have decent drivers for Win10 by now. If you've got the money for one, go ahead; it won't hurt. But just to be sure, check the mb drivers one more time (fully updated?), and check which specific mb chips you have - older/cheaper motherboards may use down-line Realtek chips, some of which *are* pretty bare-bones - and run a test with a route or equipment that used to cause a crash. If you had problems in the past with a different computer, you might be pleasantly surprised with a newer one. Might. I've been happy overall with the 889 chip (7.1 channel & 2-channel playback separately at the same time; 104-108db s/n; 44.1-192kHz DAC & ADC) on my mb, though, when the drivers are working right.
    It was all over the German MSTS forums ... but I cannot imagine that only German MSTS users had this problem?!

And as I said, it is not about sound quality. My ears are so bad that I could not hear any difference anyway. It is about making MSTS work without getting error messages and the program crashing all the time.

By the way, my onboard sound chip is a Realtek ALC663

- Six DAC channels support 16/20/24-bit PCM format for 5.1 sound playback
    - Four-channel stereo ADC supports 16/20/24-bit PCM format
    - All DACs support independent 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
    - All ADCs support independent 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
    - Two independent SPDIF outputs support 16/20/24-bit format and 44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz rate

http://www.realtek.com/products/prod...n=4&ProdID=165
    Last edited by GoGoran; 01-10-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

My experience has been that sound streams in MSTS consume memory and CPU resources -- MSTS will bottleneck there first, rather than the problem being carried out to the sound driver and chipset. That being said, there have been some pretty awful OEM PCs produced over the years, so one of those may have been responsible for the bad reports -- probably a popular machine where the OEM cheaped out on an obscure chipset with buggy drivers. Just my guess.

Typical Realtek chipsets like the one you list generally give solid performance, mostly limited by how carefully the motherboard designer spec'ed and built the analog output stage. My current PC's motherboard uses a Realtek ALC1150 with custom analog stages and driver tweaks that makes it largely indistinguishable from an external soundcard's performance -- and that's listening to it critically through an external preamp and my 1980's AKG K240 headphones from my pro recording days. You should be fine with a Realtek onboard sound chipset.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info