Thread: Question About Group Object Rotation

Default Question About Group Object Rotation

With regards to the above, I am close to pulling my hair on this, and doubting my own sanity when it comes to RE. When it comes to rotating multiple selected objects, is there any way to get them to rotate about a fixed point & not their own individual axes? I ask because I am sure I have done it before, but am finding it impossible to reproduce (hence my doubts on my own sanity ). Anyone here can correct me on my (mis)understanding on this? Further to that, if indeed I am mistaken, is there any way to rotate groups of objects with respect to a particular fixed point?

P.S WOOHOO 100 posts!

There must be better answers than what I can give, or others ways to do this, but generally speaking, if "muliti-selecting" many objects, the rotation center, will be in the center..., of the ( multi-selected ) group.

One thing you may do, is to "drag" the entire group, so the center of the group, matches the point where you would want the entire group, to rotate around.

Once in position, you can rotate the entire group, do not '"deselect" just yet, as you may need to "drag" the entire group, a tiny bit more, for fine-tuning.

When dragging an entire group, ensure you use the "crl" key, while dragging, so you do not lose the 'altitude" ( "Y" ) values, of the group.

When rotating, never use "mouse rotation" , as this sends everything out-of-whack. Use the# 4, or # 6, "NumPad" keys, for rotations.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jean Brisson MSTS Route Builder

Name: alignu.zip
    Size: 42,091 Date: 08-12-2009 Downloads: 1,314

MSTS Object Alignment Utility (version 15). A tool for MSTS route builders for accurately aligning objects relative to each other. The utility is run at the same time and alongside Route Editor. By Derek Wilde and Vince Cockeram.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by bcrailfan View Post
    There must be better answers than what I can give, or others ways to do this, but generally speaking, if "muliti-selecting" many objects, the rotation center, will be in the center..., of the ( multi-selected ) group.

One thing you may do, is to "drag" the entire group, so the center of the group, matches the point where you would want the entire group, to rotate around.

Once in position, you can rotate the entire group, do not '"deselect" just yet, as you may need to "drag" the entire group, a tiny bit more, for fine-tuning.

When dragging an entire group, ensure you use the "crl" key, while dragging, so you do not lose the 'altitude" ( "Y" ) values, of the group.

When rotating, never use "mouse rotation" , as this sends everything out-of-whack. Use the# 4, or # 6, "NumPad" keys, for rotations.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jean Brisson MSTS Route Builder
    AHA! I knew I wasnt crazy! Now this is not whats happening for me anymore. Instead all objects in my group end up rotating about their own individual axes, resulting in a mess rather than a group rotation. I've attached some screenshots below:-

So this is an example group of objects I am trying to copy & rotate to a new position
    1.jpg

Copy pasted the original
    2.jpg

Now when I rotate (F4 & using numpad), this is what happens, everything rotates about its own axis as if it is an individual object, rather than rotating in a group about a common center (which I do believe is how its supposed to be)
    3.jpg

So what gives? Am I doing something wrong or is my MSTS broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Name: alignu.zip
    Size: 42,091 Date: 08-12-2009 Downloads: 1,314

MSTS Object Alignment Utility (version 15). A tool for MSTS route builders for accurately aligning objects relative to each other. The utility is run at the same time and alongside Route Editor. By Derek Wilde and Vince Cockeram.

regards,
    Vince,

I am an active user of AlignU. However I dont think it serves to help in my current situation, please have a look at my screenshots above

Don't know if this is way you were thinking of: group as snap-able objects that can be rotated together

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...54#post1121654
    chris
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Joe,
    You select all objects at once (hold Ctrl key down as you select) and all objects should now be in wireframe. All should rotate as a single unit.
    Make sure 'snap' mode is no on as you do this.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"