Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Unable to locate Bridge Over River Kwai route

  1. #1

    Default Unable to locate Bridge Over River Kwai route

    Pardon me, everyone.

    I know I have not posted here in a long time, and I am sorry for being such a gimme-pig, but I am not able to find the "Bridge Over River Kwai" route. From what I have seen, the site that did have it is not working. So, I need help. If you can help me out, I would be grateful. Thank you for your time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare 1.3 trillion?))
    Posts
    1,932

    Default

    Hopefully you will not find it or even want to have it.As I have posted here before,this "route" is an insult to the memory of the thousands of Allied POWs who died building it under slave like conditions by the Japanese who have still not properly compensated or apologised to the survivors or relatives of the victims.I find posts about this "route" which I hope is now long consigned to the dustbin most insulting and distasteful.I hope the moderators will in future not allow posts about this abomination.
    Last edited by ragtimer; 02-12-2017 at 02:54 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB.
    Posts
    236

    Default

    I googled "MSTS Richard Garcia" and the first entry contains a link to his download site that has all his offerings including the Bridge.

    dispatcher

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    Hopefully you will not find it or even want to have it.As I have posted here before,this "route" is an insult to the memory of the thousands of Allied POWs who died building it under slave like conditions by the Japanese who have still not properly compensated or apologised to the survivors or relatives of the victims.I find posts about this "route" which I hope is now long consigned to the dustbin most insulting and distasteful.I hope the moderators will in future not allow posts about this abomination.
    Why is it an insult? Is it so poorly done? If it is a nicely executed route I don't see why it would be an insult to anyone.
    http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey (NJ)
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoran View Post
    Why is it an insult? Is it so poorly done? If it is a nicely executed route I don't see why it would be an insult to anyone.
    I think if you really read and comprehend his post. You can understand why it is an insult to him and others. Even more so, don't watch the movie, read and research it. It was built by allied prisoners-of-war (POWs) and Asian laborers from various countries during WWII. So yes, I can understand the sensitivity about it, more so if you had family or did serve in the military at that time.
    Someday I will figure this all out.............. Maybe . - Mark -

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoran View Post
    Why is it an insult? Is it so poorly done? If it is a nicely executed route I don't see why it would be an insult to anyone.
    No doubt if someone decided to build an early 40's route that finished at Auschwitz there'd be some who wouldn't understand why that was insulting or insensitive either. I can't understand how anyone that understands the history of that railway would have built the route, want to drive it or defend it.
    Cheers!
    Peter

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare 1.3 trillion?))
    Posts
    1,932

    Default

    Thanks for the two supporting posts,you hit the nail right on the head.I suggest those who are not aware of the atrocities commited by the japanese read "The Naked Island" by Russell Braddon.You will know exactly why I have my views about this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset, U.K.
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ossie View Post
    No doubt if someone decided to build an early 40's route that finished at Auschwitz there'd be some who wouldn't understand why that was insulting or insensitive either. I can't understand how anyone that understands the history of that railway would have built the route, want to drive it or defend it.
    Peter I couldn't have put it better.

    You might also like to read "The Railway Man" by Eric Lomax.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

  9. #9

    Default

    I am very sorry for asking such a controversial question. The reason I asked is because this route that I am (or was) looking for was based upon a movie that featured Alec Guinness. Again, I apologize.
    Last edited by andoodle; 02-13-2017 at 05:07 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset, U.K.
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andoodle View Post
    I am very sorry for asking such a controversial question. The reason I asked is because this route that I am (or was) looking for was based upon a movie that featured Alec Guinness. Again, I apologize.
    In all fairness to you the movie was a fiction padded out with some sanitised brutality to give it some menace. In reality over 100,000 people died in the construction of this line.

    It's known as The Death Railway because of the terrible conditions the POW and slave labourers who built it were kept in. Frankly the war crimes of the Japanese are a bit beyond the realms of Train Simming and from that perspective it's a pretty pointless route. The deaths caused by it's construction were pointless because by the time it was completed the Japanese were retreating on all fronts. The screengrabs in the links posted above look pretty poor to me anyway and the scenery completely unconvincing.

    My advice is read the books mentioned here and choose one of the scores of brilliant routes available to enjoy train simming?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma_Railway
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •