Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why you are using MSTS RE instead of TSRE?

Default Why you are using MSTS RE instead of TSRE?

Question for those who are still using MSTS RE. Why you are using MSTS RE or what do you need to use TSRE?
    I'm close to "final" MSTS route editor release, so it is last chance for your suggestions.

RE? I am using it because I am familiar with it, and can do what I need to do with my eyes closed - despite it's quirks.
    What do I need to use TSRE? Dedicated time to educate myself on its' functionality. It looks fantastic. So many new additions.
    I think we all owe you a big time THANK YOU.
    I do look forward to many hours of use. Just need some time to get there.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

I'm to some extent in the same boat as Neil, in that I use the MSTS RE because I'm comfortable with it, and I know (as much as anyone can know for sure) what it can and can't do. I've only tried TSRE once, and all I got was a white screen with some dark patches that moved around. That was probably because I haven't been installing updates regularly, and it would seem that the updates that do come out are 64-bit ones, which I don't have (I still use 32-bit). If the final one comes out and the 32-bit one works well, I will probably change over to it after I take some time to figure it out. I will say, though, that I do love your consist editor, and if that's anything to go by, I will love TSRE, as well

I was hesitant to use a new editor on a nearly finished route, so I am completing my (and Simon Van de Laak's) Milwaukee Road Coast Div. 1st Sub. with RE. I have other routes that have only reached the "track has been laid" stage and I do plan to use TSRE for those
    as well as at least 2 or 3 others that I have gathered data for, but have not started. I am looking forward to using TSRE for it seems to be a much better editing platform and I particularly like the large screen or window area it uses. Again, I was concerned that it might in some way mess up a nearly finished route, so I have used RE. Now having said that I have used it a little just to gain familiarity on
    barely started, or test, routes.

landnrailroader

I have not used the MSTS editors. First because it was too "advanced" and lately over the last few years because I cannot even run MSTS on my system. I do plan to jump into route building with TSRE. However my sim time is pretty limited lately and I'm trying to complete some other projects.
    Christopher

I was new on route building so had to learn the RE of msts first. I started at the time TSRE wasn't as stable as it now was; once the painting of terrain patches features was added I got sucked in a bit (doesn't help when a friend of mine keeps showing me the awesome new features on facebook) And now with the features of the NASA HGT files I chose to rebuild my complete route with tsre5, now all on more accurate grades and heights. One thing I did seem to notice; when you place an object and move it with Q it sticks to the ground. but when I select an object it doesn't (matter of fact selecting Q throws it back in placing new objects mode) it would be nice if the moving of objects has such a same feature as some objects already dissappeared about -300 meter somewhere out of sight because it glitched under ground.

But except for that I have no suggestions and I can tell you that I am now an official user of TSRE5

One thing I did seem to notice; when you place an object and move it with Q it sticks to the ground. but when I select an object it doesn't (matter of fact selecting Q throws it back in placing new objects mode) it would be nice if the moving of objects has such a same feature as some objects already dissappeared about -300 meter somewhere out of sight because it glitched under ground.
    I don't understand this at all. In TSRE objects never go under the ground when moving. Moving placedd objects and selected works the same way.
    Last edited by GokuMK; 02-17-2017 at 07:29 AM.

It only seems to happen when I move objects already there, now obviously my practice of rebuilding a route to realistic height is not ussual, matter of fact with the msts RE I might even say impossible without killing the TRB, anyway the point is that I am not saying a lot of people will have this issue, but it might be handy to know.
    Tree.jpg
    This is me moving a tree around (blue box slightly on the left), it switches from on the ground to probably around 0 meters height when moving, a bit jitterish style I would discribe it? (terrain is about 340m at this point and the creek you see below with the trees is the old level of the route, so as you can see the moved tree goes below the old level) some time the object even seems to disappear, but this is probably it glitching out of sight as I still find some lost tracks left and right.

The height has been made with the load height option. And the objects get brought up to the correct height with H, and then when I move it it starts to glitch out after a while, this doesn't occur always but it happend with tracks, roads and some trees so I thought it might be smart to report it.

Hope this gives enough insight in my personal experience.

You can't move objects using mouse when terrain shape is hidden. Just enable it.

Quote Originally Posted by GokuMK View Post
    You can't move objects using mouse when terrain shape is hidden. Just enable it.
    Yes that did the trick, haha sorry still getting used to some of the new functions and differences. but it does work like a charm