Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Rails in Linux

Default Open Rails in Linux

Evening, With both the latest release of ORTS and Wine 2.0/2.1 it would now seem open rails can be made to run in Linux. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...sion&iId=34781

The payed for version of Wine from Code Weavers also reports being able to run ORTS. https://www.codeweavers.com/compatib...ver/open-rails

I have not yet tried it for myself but I am hopeful it will work.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    I have not yet tried it for myself but I am hopeful it will work.
    Love to know how it works out. I see quite a few enquiries on the website hoping for Open Rails on Linux.

Best wishes,
    Chris Jakeman

I struggled with this for 2 days a few weeks ago. I couldn't get winetricks to install .net 3.5 sp1 no matter how hard I tried. I haven't tried since then, but I will take on the challenge again when I feel ready for the headache. It might not help that I'm going through the whole process on a Pentium D machine. I'm determined to make this work, though. The machines I have all have Windows XP on them, and I hate XP with a passion. It was the reason I ditched Microsoft for good in the first place.

Alternatively, I'm toying with the idea of running Open Rails on an Amazon Web Services instance and streaming it through Steam. Might work, might not. It will give me a powerful virtual machine to run it on, though.
    Last edited by shadowmane; 03-10-2017 at 04:04 PM.

You can stop hating XP. It is so old that it's no longer sold or supported by Microsoft. No need to hold a grudge that long!

I don't know whether to pity or admire the efforts that Linux lovers go through just to try to get it to work, to do the things Windows and Mac OS X do out of the box.

I mean, it's kind of like wondering what to say when one of your friends proudly displays a little pile of homemade soap she spent 16 hours cooking up?
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

Your comments aren't helpful. I'll invite you to take them and go for a long walk off a short pier.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmane View Post
    I struggled with this for 2 days a few weeks ago. I couldn't get winetricks to install .net 3.5 sp1 no matter how hard I tried. I haven't tried since then, but I will take on the challenge again when I feel ready for the headache. It might not help that I'm going through the whole process on a Pentium D machine. I'm determined to make this work, though. The machines I have all have Windows XP on them, and I hate XP with a passion. It was the reason I ditched Microsoft for good in the first place.

Alternatively, I'm toying with the idea of running Open Rails on an Amazon Web Services instance and streaming it through Steam. Might work, might not. It will give me a powerful virtual machine to run it on, though.
    I had a go at trying to get Openrails running on Linux some time back (12 months or more ago) and I also could not get winetricks to install .net 3.5 sp1, install simply hanging. This is somewhat sad as the new route editor works perfectly under wine, so I have not yet even tried to compile a Linux native version of it.

The WineHQ seems quite specific and its also current so I may give it another go.

Lindsay

Your comments aren't helpful. I'll invite you to take them and go for a long walk off a short pier.
    In a forum you're going to see many points of view. Here's one that sums up what happened since 2008, "the year" for you know what that didn't happen.

Desktop Linux
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

As the original poster states that reports are that this now CAN BE DONE..... perhaps you can explain how your comments are helpful? Have you followed these latest reports? Have you considered that most people will already have an OS and how few might have sufficient problems with that to even consider the complications of creating a dual boot Linux machine? I take it that would be needed? If you want to discuss why you're interested you may attract interest. Otherwise the XP hating comments seem pretty valid Slagging people off for daring to question your post is not what a forum is about.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

This thread is good news (at least the early and late parts of it). Not sure it will work in Linux in a VM (which is where Mint lives at the moment) but will try it.

As for Windows (not just XP) hate, it's not worth the blood pressure. Most people using a PC (a dying breed, according to market surveys, though still a very large one) use Windows. That's a fact. However, if you use old hardware (or the newest, if you're wedded to a non-10 version of Windows - see recent reports about Win7/8 on Kaby Lake CPUs), or just don't want to deal with all the maintenance and configuration hassles of 10 (assuming you want to keep SOME information private), Linux is a valid alternative.

As with anything, there's a cost, and with Linux in my experience you pay with time and the need to develop some moderately serious geekiness - it's not free even if you don't pay for it in cash. But then, all Windows versions have required a bit of tweaking and management to make them run well (as opposed to just running, slowly). 10 requires a slightly different approach to the tweaks, that's all. A general purpose computer is not an appliance. So set up a VM in Virtualbox or whatever and try Linux out - some modern distributions (distros) aren't difficult to use at all. For average computer users, the software they like now will run (at least under Wine) or has a pretty good equivalent. Having OR shown to work in Linux is a good step forward in making Linux equivalent to Windows, for me. Now if only I could get ACD's activation process to work for Canvas, I'd have no excuse to stay with Windows...
    Last edited by mikeebb; 03-18-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Kaby Lake and Canvas

Interesting input Mike but I still don't see what Linux "brings to the party" for OR? Not being argumentative here. It just strikes me that I've no obvious (I may well be missing something!) issues running OR in Win7. Most machines ship with an M$ OS anyway so apart from the geeky pleasure in proving it will work I don't see why anyone would want to change?

BTW what's a Kaby Lake CPU? and if it's new? surely machines equipped with it won't ship with Win 7 anyway?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK