Runs and looks like the beta.

Only one save slot, lame.

66 minutes was enough at 19-26 FPS, REFUND

Harold

Ouch! I love beta beta testers

Saves me lots of money

Thanks

Sean

Limited scope for sure at this early stage (out of the oven too soon). However, it runs like a bat outta' hell and looks great on my i7 + GTX1070.
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

As promised, more detailed initial thoughts.

Installation - easy, just RMB on the game in the Steam Library and hit install. I did think it had gone pear shaped during the initial setup and all I could see was the desktop screen, then it just suddenly opened.

Could have done with the options screen to appear before it launched the first tutorial.

As regards graphics, went with the default the game picked, other than enabling vsync. As I've "only" got an I7 4770 and a GTX950 2Gb GPU, didn't want to push it. No major performance issues noted though I didn't get that far out of the yard, having played the first two tutorials then started snow and ice. Need to test in a variety of situations, time of day, weather etc. Pleasant enough but I have to say not a vast change (improvement) over a good quality TS20xx route in the latest version of the game engine. Cabs look good though, compared to TANE which still relies on the 2001 Auran era cabs for some of the motive power. Guess at the end of the day, we're not expecting the train sim equivalent of GTA V or Fallout 4. Also how will the graphics engne stand up in a complex inner city area, on the approach to a 15 platform terminus such as Paddington with trains and track everywhere.

Sounds, seem okay with traction thrash, though being in the yard I will reserve comment on the track sound.

Physics. Now this is where things (maybe) started to crumble a bit. Running light engine, I put the throttle in Notch 1, brisk acceleration to 10 MPH at which the speed just held itself. Please don't tell me DTG have perpetuated the "DCC" speed cap for each throttle position that blighted their DMU physics in classic TS. In Snow And Ice, finally hooked up to my train, brakes released and Notch 3. Nothing happened, no movement other than a brief 0.5 MPH flicker on the speedo. Initial thought was, ah good they've implemented Run 8 delayed release but on releasing the throttle the train started rolling back - on a 0.2% (1 in 500) gradient! Checked the indy was released (yes), climbed down out the cab and checked handbrake released (yes). Back in the cab, the only way I could get the train to move was gunning the throttle in Notch 6 almost in the red sector. I'm sure that's not prototypical.

Gameplay. As already predicted, lots of achievements popping up everywhere, rather irritating. I can certainly see controversy from allowing people to wander around the "live" railway, despite the disclaimers that pop up as a professional railwayman I really feel uneasy about this. It will just take one youngster getting cut in half on a depot and it coming out he was influenced by TSW, to see the whole thing get pulled. DTG need to rethink this aspect.
    Many of the scenarios involve a fair bit of shunting or switching. I can see the terminally impatient who just want to get out on the main line and thrash the trains, getting bored very quickly. In Snow and Ice, there was no indication of where you needed to go to reach the front of your train. I worked it out in the end, but not before trundling aimlessly up and down various sections of line first. Map view (9) is definitely your friend, note you can also change points/switches from this view which avoids the need to climb down from the train.

Overall: Pretty much as expected, some good bits, some warts. It's not going to replace any of the other sims overnight or even at all. At least until we get the editrs, it's essentially a DTG style World Of Subways but with freight trains. Worth about what I paid for it and will be keeping, not getting a refund, if only because it's better to be on the inside testing and suggesting fixes than bellyaching as a third party.
    Vern.

It's nice to see a balanced review rather than some of the rubbish I've seen lately. Thanks for doing this.

I bought it but I need to get an up to date machine as I'm below the minimum specs. Look forward to having decent play one day.

Regards

Andy (Gougaaa)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for a good objective report Vern.

My first reaction to some of the reported new features takes me back to the introduction of a little character produced for FSX that enabled you to walk or drive around airfields produced by the same publisher. Nice idea.... BUT if you're able bodied and you start "simulating" walking ....you pretty soon won't be able bodied

I see a lot of FSX "issues" raising their head in your report.

Firstly the need to reduce the software's "MAX" capability if your hardware isn't coping.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    As I've "only" got an I7 4770 and a GTX950 2Gb GPU, didn't want to push it.
    Of course it's so old now that many here won't remember that even MSTS had to be "de-tuned" to run on some machines in 2001. Obviously hardware will improve so if it's a keeper then that may not be a big issue?

More importantly?
    Also how will the graphics engine stand up in a complex inner city area, on the approach to a 15 platform terminus such as Paddington with trains and track everywhere.
    ....but that will only be a problem IF and WHEN a more international route and traffic base is produced?

As already predicted, lots of achievements popping up everywhere, rather irritating. I can certainly see controversy from allowing people to wander around the "live" railway,
    Not had any DTG content since RW but one of the sillier features of that series (is it still in TS2017?) was the walking zombie passengers on the stations. At least if they'd followed believable paths they wouldn't have been so daft?

Whilst the "walkabout" Alta ego that is you might be able to carry out prototypical functions (handbrakes, switches, refuelling etc.) I'm reminded again of FSX. Here the "hard core wannabe" airline pilots want to do THE EXACT pre-flight sequence "for real" even down to adjusting the cabin air con ....which is why I never bought any airliners .
    Many of the scenarios involve a fair bit of shunting or switching. I can see the terminally impatient who just want to get out on the main line and thrash the trains, getting bored very quickly......... Map view (9) is definitely your friend, note you can also change points/switches from this view which avoids the need to climb down from the train.
    ....you have to ask yourself how much of my life do I want to spend simulating driving anything? If you have to do it all in real time .....that's real time YOU won't get back in your REAL LIFE

Overall: Pretty much as expected, some good bits, some warts. It's not going to replace any of the other sims overnight or even at all. At least until we get the editors, it's essentially a DTG style World Of Subways but with freight trains. Worth about what I paid for it and will be keeping, not getting a refund, if only because it's better to be on the inside testing and suggesting fixes than bellyaching as a third party.
    I can hear the mounting howls of protests from the fanbois at this statement as I type? However I don't see that as THAT damning a condemnation? After all you can have as many Sims on your machine as you like? They ALL bring something to the party? The idea that there must be THE SIM verges on religious creeds! I doubt there'll ever be THE ULTIMATE SIMULATION of anything

Won't be spending on it but watching development with interest.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Just a minor point Vern - 'services' seems to be the place to go to get longer runs.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jp 4712 View Post
    Just a minor point Vern - 'services' seems to be the place to go to get longer runs.

Paul
    Good point and will try it Paul, the only thing being if there's only one save "slot" for the whole game, I'll lose progress on Snow & Ice?
    Vern.

Default Walking about stuff and no free roam ?

Why do I have to get off the train to do stuff ? I don't want to walk about. I just want to drive trains. And even if you go to services to try and get a free roam, it isn't really a free roam. For example, you can't change the points to turn your train around S of Rockwell or Rockford or whatever.
    I just want to explore the route driving the loco I want with the rolling stock I want and go where I want. I can't seem to be able to do that. And, whilst the route looks lovely it's a bit boring.
    PS - - - - I get much better frame rates 35 to 45 if I turn effects to "off" (I aren't bothered for a bit of exhaust smoke, I just pretend my loco is ultra green lol) and foliage detail to low (even closeup, the trees and grass look exactly the same anyway). All that detail just isn't needed.

Thanks for the reviews guys! I did not jump on the pre-order offer, largely because my computer is equivalent to the minimum specs. I'm most interested in the physics portrayed by TSW. From what Vern has said here and others have said elsewhere, I'm not yet convinced that DTG got it right. I'm sure I'll buy in the future just to have it in the collection.

Because I'm a physics junkie, I spent my money on Run 8 v2 and was not disappointed. Run 8 physics and difficulty (level expert!) paired with DTG's beautiful scenery was kind of what I was hoping for with TSW.

"Why do I have to get off the train and do stuff?" This part of Run 8 and I'm guessing TSW is a double edged sword. In one way, it allows you to better understand the job of a conductor/brakeman. However, are you the engineer or conductor of this train simulator? In real life, they are two different jobs done by two individual beings at the same time. You can either have the seat or beat the ballast but, unless you have a remote controlled locomotive, it's one or the other. An AI conductor that gives instructions and distances via radio is what I've always wanted in a train sim, and I'm surprised that only Open Rails has anything remotely useful for that function. With OR, I can count down the distance in the HUD as I back up to a couple. To sit on the engine, maybe looking out the window, and stay there when making back up moves. In real life, it's difficult to blindly back up on nothing but someones subjective idea of distance, all while completely relying on their competence. That's an engineer simulator IMHO.

Tyler