Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the TSW release

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Sort of falls into the same "X-Files" strangeness that I mentioned earlier (and in another thread...I think!) concerning the red lights and no other traffic.
    Which leads me to another point....the map; it is almost useless when compared to what they provide in TS20XX.
    I don't use the map too much ..... map is ok-ish

Diciphering the switch direction however is horrible

����

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

A few queries....

1. Why does the AC4400CW not have dynamic brakes?

2. Where is the AC4400CW's in-cab length-of-train display and how is it operated?

3. In the GP38, how the heck is the length-of-train device operated? Clicking the button seems to do little other than make the display static.

4. In the GP38, why, when the dynamics are operated, does the ammeter needle move into the green Power zone and not the yellow Brake zone?

5. In the SD40, why, when the dynamics are operated, does the ammeter needle move into the yellow Brake zone yet on the HUD it is in the green Power zone?

6. Why does the engine sound not change to that which should be heard when dynamic braking is in operation?

These questions, and more, should have been raised and addressed ages ago.
    Last edited by seagoon; 03-20-2017 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Corrected loco type
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

As I stalled out climbing the hill Bruce, I didn't get to test the AC's dynamic braking (or it seems lack of it)...

Items such as amp output and indication on the gauges are a fundamental part of anything which purports to be more than an arcade game.

Looking across the three main forums where TSW is being discussed by experienced train simmers - here, RWA and UKTS it's becoming clear to me the product has some pretty fundamental issues. I know it's not customary to pull things from sale these days but DTG need to seriously consider whether they continue to market this in its current state.

I like the musing in this thread at UKTS http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtop...f=386&t=147190 about halfway down P1 with direct comparisons between this mess and the Kuju/EA Rail Simulator release. You think the company would have learned by now...
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I like the musing in this thread at UKTS http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtop...f=386&t=147190 about halfway down P1 with direct comparisons between this mess and the Kuju/EA Rail Simulator release. You think the company would have learned by now...
    Now that is interesting!
    A case of deja vu for many, no doubt.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Well the one thing it has made me just do, is close my eyes and ignore the lousy Brexit US$ GB£ exchange rate and order Run 8 V2.

Now for some proper train simming.
    Vern.

I'm finding the physics puzzling, and it seems not everyone is getting the same results.

I did one of the services with a long line of tank cars. Up the hill at about run 5 or 6 and was able to keep the speed up. Hitting the crest and seeing the profile change to downhill I cut the power and figured I would need to try dynamic braking for the first time. But nope, the train started to rapidly slow down and I was soon back at run 5 or so to maintain speed...despite the fairly steep downhill. That just makes no sense.

Well we know from a couple of routes in TS20xx that the normal laws of gravity don't seem to apply in DTG games.

So far as dynamic braking is concerned, I recall they got that quite badly wrong in Horseshoe Curve and just light dynamics pretty much threw the back of the train over the front. I'm still thinking there is some sort of speed cap being applied to throttle positions (like the TS20xx British DMU's) and this amongst other things, is what's giving rise to the extremely odd physics.
    Vern.

Nels' experience is identical to that which I had with the same train.
    I had to cut the brakes and notch up in order to get up speed again.....downhill!

I had to cut the brakes and notch up in order to get up speed again.....downhill!
    Maybe we're getting somewhere with this then and it's not the loco physics which are wrong but an issue with the trailing load. That would explain the severe drag on starting the train, down to 15 MPH with the GP38's and stalling with the AC's. Looks like that's where DTG need to start looking - either the train is too heavy (an extra digit in the code perhaps) or the rolling resistance calculations are wrong.
    Vern.

LOL yup .... this I've had

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region