Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I may FINALLY get Run 8 but need to make sure

Default I may FINALLY get Run 8 but need to make sure

Hi everyone,

I have been a train sim player since 2002 with MSTS. I have kept up with the TS versions since 2010 and just got Train Sim World too. I have stayed away from Run 8 for two reasons. 1. I did not like the graphics. And 2, I did not care much about multi.

But yesterday, I just noticed that Run 8 came out with a second version and has A1. And though the graphics are still not great, they appear to be much better.

So I have a few questions and I hope to get some guidance before I shell out the 50.00. I have watched a few youtubes but I cannot really find a good tutorial youtube.

What interests me about Run 8, and want to confirm if this is true, is that with V2 you can start in Tehachapi and go through Cajon or through Needles, and apparently may soon reach beyond that. Is that true? But on a downside, one thing I got from watching youtube is that you can apparently get very bogged down in single player with dispatching A1. Dispatching may be fun but if I want to drive a train and see many trains on my run, I do not want to have to continuously leave my train to go to a dispatch board and control the A1's. I would like an immersive feel to the world that you never know what you might see along your run with the world kind of controlling itself around me. Is that the wrong expectation or do you still need mulitplayer for that? Or do you really need to spend all your time on the dispatch board if you want that?

Also, I realize V2 comes with a lot of rolling stock but I also noticed you can spend over $300.00 on additional stock. Do I need to make the purchase for the additional stock for it to be a truly good experience?

I appreciate anyone's help.

Mike

It really depends on what you want to have in a sim. Run 8 is geared toward running a train realistically as possible and the scenery is improved all the time but it is not their main focus. Train physics is. You most likely, especially on the West Coast routes, will not spend much time looking at the scenery, you will be looking at your MFD screens or gauges trying to keep your train under control.

You don't need to purchase extra rolling stock to operate the sim but you will see a lot of Run8 Western box cars if you don't. I don't recommend purchasing the extra rolling stock though until you decide if you like the sim. It's hard to beat for train physics. I would check it out and then start purchasing the rolling stock a bit at a time if you like it.

As far as AI, right now you do have to dispatch it but you can control how many other trains will spawn from the spawn points so you can set it up so that you don't have to spend much time watching the DS board. When in single player you will have to visit the DS board anyway to line your own route. For doing so more easily, go to The Depot and download the stand alone External Dispatcher. It's only for the West Coast routes at this time but it's free and easy to use and makes it simple to set a route in a few clicks. If you go that route and have questions about how to set it up you can PM me.

The V2 initial purchase will get you from Bakersfield to Needles but you would have to get the Cajon route to get down to West Colton and San Bernardino. Coming soon will be the LA route from West Colton to LA and the Seligman sub which goes east from Needles. Running from LA to the end of the Seligman sub would be quite a long day.

I hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in as well.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

If you care more about GFX then you are coming into Run8 with the wrong attitude. What I mean is, before things become second nature, there is an initial learning curve in terms of running trains. After you get comfortable with running (foaming), you can AI the train and dispatch, pull into a siding or wait at a signal which you will have to do eventually anyway. If you want to run without dispatching you need to spend the time to set-up the opposing traffic to clear enough to keep them running without obstructions. I often do this when I am working the yards.

Each route will vary with this hands-off approach. I find Selkirk to favour the latter, then California, and then A-line but they all need attention now and again. Run8 will challenge the novice and the expert.

As you can see in my "Screen Shot" thread Run8 looks pretty good if you have a decent GFX card and you tweak a few things here and there. It depends on your perspective. You don`t have to care about MP but it is the MP potential that makes the SP in Run8 so rich.

Yes you are correct, one can spend over 300.00 when they are all in but the default program will give you a good taste of what Run8 is all about. If you want to experience the prototypical feel in terms of operations, locals , etc., then, yes, you will want to purchase additional stock as you go along. It took me about a year before I was all in. In the end you will either love Run8 or hate it.
    Last edited by Ezra; 03-18-2017 at 05:15 PM.

AI isn't really AI in Run8 in the sense that it totally does its own thing. You do need to dispatch them. You can keep the number of AI trains limited (for example, maybe only spawning a couple for you to meet with along your route) but that feels unrealistic or at least, destroys immersions since you "know" it's just stuff you're spawning in yourself. I know some users really like that "model railroad" feel, for me personally I'd much prefer a living-breathing world with a dispatcher and service timetables and stuff like that.

I still do recommend Run8 because it really is the most "solid" train sim out there, where it simulates what it simulates VERY well (seriously like MILES ahead of anything else) but because it's made by a small team (one programmer, I think) features develop slowly and the single player side of things is still, IMHO, the weak point.

Quote Originally Posted by angelsmike View Post
    But yesterday, I just noticed that Run 8 came out with a second version and has A1. And though the graphics are still not great, they appear to be much better.
    Please be advised that the graphics in R8 take second rank to the physics & dynamics of being in the cab of a large American locomotive.
    In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the importance of the graphics is right down at the end of the queue.

.....with V2 you can start in Tehachapi and go through Cajon or through Needles, and apparently may soon reach beyond that. Is that true?
    With the routes that are currently available, both with the core program and the add-ons in California & Arizona, you can operate from Bakersfield to Needles.
    In addition, there are the Mohawk & Selkirk add-ons (NY state) and the A-Line (Florida).

.....you can apparently get very bogged down in single player with dispatching A1. Dispatching may be fun but if I want to drive a train and see many trains on my run, I do not want to have to continuously leave my train to go to a dispatch board and control the A1's. ...
    You have the complete ability to set up as many or as few AI consists as you desire, to determine in that setting-up at which spawn points they appear, how often and the type of consist.
    I play solo-player and only have AI generated which approaches me along my route. Once it has passed, I delete it.
    Doing this minimises the amount of time that I spend as "despatcher".
    To do this you can simply use the in-game despatch screen [F3]. You do NOT need to be in multiplay mode at all.
    In fact, if I didn't want to delete the consists after they have passed I need never go into the despatch screens at all once the setting-up has been done.

..... I also noticed you can spend over $300.00 on additional stock. Do I need to make the purchase for the additional stock for it to be a truly good experience?
    Not really, so long as you are okay with a generic place-filler which is lettered RUN 8 on the side.
    If you want to be closer to realism then yes, buy the additional rolling stock but it is not necessary for the sim to operate.
    Last edited by seagoon; 03-18-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Thanks all for the responses.

One thing I have noticed on these forums with Run 8 is there is sometimes this attitude of "you will love or hate Run 8 or, it's not for everyone if you want the graphics, etc." I doubt that I will either love or hate Run 8. It cannot possibly be that black and white. I like trains and am willing to try all the products and experience the pros and cons of all. I have always been intruiged by Run 8. I own many of the 3d Train Stuff products and loved them so I figured it would be good. Plus Tehachapi was always my favorite route. I have been there many times. I just have not dived into Run 8 because I always figured the scenery would improve over time and I would join when ready.

When I said I did not care much about multi, that was not quite true. What I meant was, I did not want to have to commit to running the sim at say, 8:00 pm and have to stay on for 3 hours. Are there multi sessions or options for multi where you can kind of just get in when you want, run a train for awhile, then leave it if you have to? I am assuming it would need to be parked in a siding or something if that was the case. I have little kids so it is frequently hard to do anything for 3 hours straight without interruptions.

I will definitely get it eventually. Probably sooner than later. Thanks again.
    Last edited by angelsmike; 03-18-2017 at 10:07 PM.

I just jumped in and bought it, can confirm the default route is Bakersfield to Needles which is a huge section of railway in its own right. There's a bit of a learning curve and you absolutely need to print off the key command list and overlay, even if you don't read the manual. I started a session and after a few minutes had an AI train spawn at the Needles end of the route, so as I was coasting along at 15 MPH quickly dapped into the dispatcher screen and set up the route ahead for him.

Believe me that even after this short session, Run 8 V2 is streets ahead in simulation terms and is currently washing the rather sour taste left in my mouth by DTG's TSW.
    Vern.

Upgraded to V2 and got the A-line because I hate desert routes.

One knows a simulator because there is a learning curve.

Harold

AI is not about just eye candy, unless that is your purpose in the sim. AI for me is about operations. Tonight I'm finally going to run a full single player session for Selkirk Mohawk and I'll as always have it up on YouTube. Eventually once I'm happy with the results, I'll have the server available to applicants who want to run (more about that in another thread).

But from a stand point of operations having trains that are AI and feed your yards as part of the operation when you don't have the numbers of a server is gold. Selkirk Mohawk for the most part is easy to dispatch for the level of traffic you would see on it. Now if you trying to emulate California and the massive amount of traffic that may be a different story.

Thanks

Sean

I'm actually finding the AI quite fascinating, though it seems to spawn a new train every few minutes which means the various Subs are starting to look like the London Circle Line!
    Vern.