Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I may FINALLY get Run 8 but need to make sure

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I'm actually finding the AI quite fascinating, though it seems to spawn a new train every few minutes which means the various Subs are starting to look like the London Circle Line!
    Vern you can set the spawn time for the coded AI trains.
    Work Safe play hard

I'm actually finding the AI quite fascinating, though it seems to spawn a new train every few minutes which means the various Subs are starting to look like the London Circle Line!
    Vern...[Shift+F2] will pop up the AI editing application, which will allow you to control all aspects of AI generation - at which spawn point(s), what type of consist, how frequently they spawn.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, for those who simply prefer A to B mainline running, providing meets is simplicity itself and makes it very satisfying to see other trains on your piece of line.

You'll enjoy this sim, I'm sure.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

the AI is extremely smart, go stand by a stop signal as ai approaches, or next to a crossing, you can turn down the frequency of spawns as Bruce said, on several servers they run it like a real railroad with scheduled business
    example is you have an AI train come in with cars tagged for various industries along the routes, yard crews (non AI) sort them for the specified locals for the businesses and will even generate switch lists, when loads or empties are placed at an industries track a timer starts and simulates the load/unload process (actually look at the cars when you load and unload them)

i shudder to think what they will come up with next

It shows what can be done in a railroad simulator when you are really dedicated to it.

DTG take notice, many of the serious train simmers want this in TSW as well, both for single player and for multi player.
    Edwin "Kanawha"

The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)

Yes I managed to find the spawn control and have reduced this to a more practical level. Also useful to note is if it gets too much or you perpetrate a stand off you can delete the trains.

What would be handy is a list of the different trains and where you need to ultimately route them towards to reach the destination. I probably need to RTFM.

Need to dig a bit deeper but would it be possible to set up a specific "spawn" list based on a real 24 hour period? I'm thinking of the old SIAM (or TD3) dispatching software where you start at midnight and certain trains are already on the line with others arriving as defined in the dispatcher list or timetable. Probably a fair bit of work to set this up, but worth it for the realism factor.

Only slight wrinkle I've noted is that when you re-start a saved session all the trains (including the player train) are stationary plus cold and dark, though it appears unlike V1 the sim remembers how the switches are lined). Also I don't think they introduced working windscreen wipers still, though that's a minor point.

Overall it's a beast of a sim, the length of run alone makes it worth the price and that's before you factor in the superior train operations.

Well done to Brad & Co.
    Vern.

Glad you like it Vern.

What routes do you have? Any additional locomotives yet? Mojave alone is very challenging in its actual train driving and dispatching its single track meets, it will test your skills to the limit.

You might want to check out this old but pretty comprehensive documentation. It pertains to Run8v1, yet still holds lots of valuable information on locomotive setup, train handling and running the Mojave Sub.
    http://168.156.125.36/run8.html
    Edwin "Kanawha"

The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)

Overall it's a beast of a sim, the length of run alone makes it worth the price and that's before you factor in the superior train operations.

Well done to Brad & Co.
    I agree.
    It really does blow the other "train simulations" into the weeds when it comes to realism.

I have just completed a run - saved over several days - from Bakersfield to Needles yard. In fact, it took a week for me to complete....an hour or so each session.
    What I enjoyed most was to be able to set the time of day [F1] to the system clock...so most of my in-cab time was at night.
    And the night-time effects in Run 8 are excellent.....as are the transitions from dusk to dark and again at dawn.

I now have the AI system down pat insofar as controlling the spawns are concerned but I like your comment, Vern, of being able to more readily identify the trains in order to route them correctly.
    Not that it is of great concern to me because I only spawn traffic that is both approaching me and also moving in the same direction ahead of me. Elsewhere on the network I just delete the AI units.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

with the ability to "save" the worlds you have created with all of your AI trains in it, run 8 has made "single player mode" very enjoyable......

I think the issue you will find with the AI and the random pop up is it's not true random but winds up being patterns. That is because from my experience in coding when you tell a computer to produce random numbers, if you do so in a sequential (command after command) you get patterns. Why? Because the random generator runs off of the CPU clock and now your dealing with milliseconds often with the same results.

I have a solution for that but it takes a bit of work. I posted a message about a live stream I'll be exploring this topic tonight. It's for both those wanting a single player, or session world for MP.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    I think the issue you will find with the AI and the random pop up is it's not true random but winds up being patterns. ....
    For those of us who just want to see traffic it doesn't really matter, Sean.
    I can appreciate that for the enthusiast it may be of some concern but when all that I/we desire is to see other consists in motion, what they are and where they are heading is immaterial.

However, if I was to "get into" the despatcher side of the sim I would need more information on a train's destination than "Z-STOCHI".