Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of the Site -- October 2023

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• State of the Site -- October 2023

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_400692.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	2288638 Our week started with some sad news -- longtime community member Yuri Sos passed away after a courageous battle with bone marrow cancer, which had been diagnosed in 2019.

Yuri was a huge influence in the early MSTS community, and the tutorials on his website Steam4me.net have been used by hundreds of thousands if not millions worldwide.

In real life, Yuri spent 49 years as a practicing veterinarian, graduating from the University of Melbourne and taking on his father's practice which continues to operate today. He and his wife Sue were married for 30+ years and raised three children, now adults.

In a post to his site last year, he mentioned that arrangements had already been made for his son to keep the website site up and running (Steam4Me shares a server with the family's business), so it's good to know his legacy will carry on.

Remembrances can be left here and I'll forwarded to the family at a future date.

Godspeed Yuri, and clear signals ahead.

On a more positive note, it appears that UKTrainsim.com is also still up and running, although I'm not sure for how long.

It's not clear if the site remaining up and available is indications of a reprieve or a new owner. Posts in another forum by longtime owner Matt indicate that while he's provided payment for the final invoice, he's leaving it to the webhost to decide when they bring down.

We're now 41 days past the announced shutdown date, so enjoy the site while you can.

​Another of our community websites is also under new direction/ownership as of this week. Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_400693.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.8 KB ID:	2288647

ElvasTower.com announced today that Dave Nelson is retiring after 20 years, and passing the reins over to a new owner, Rui Fonseca, who is also a long time member of the ET community.

Dave's been a long time member our community here at TrainSim, and was a great sounding board for me when I took on managing this site earlier in the year. I know he's looking forward to a break from daily grind of running a website, and it's well deserved. Hopefully all that newfound free time will leave more time for him to be sharing progress on his Goose Island and Cal-P route projects along with maintaining a vocal presence on the OpenRails team.

As many of us participate in the conversations on both sites, I see this move as a very positive thing for our hobby.

It wouldn't be a monthly update without some comments on new features here...

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_400689.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.0 KB ID:	2288644If you've been searching for files over the last few days, you may have noticed an addition to the results -- a file ID number (highlighted by the orange boxes in the screenshot).

File ID's have been referenced in URLs for some of the site's file library functions, but until now they've mostly been used behind the scenes by the admins and within the database.

I've decided to make them more visible for a couple reasons...

First... having a consistent numeric reference ID helps eliminate confusion over similar sounding/named files, especially if there are changes made to correct errors or the category for a file is adjusted.

Second.... and I know those of you familiar with UKTrainsim's catalog will probably appreciate this... these reference numbers make it much easier to help identify the files needed for activities and other downloads.

If you have been aware of the file ID numbers before, please know I've adjusted our file ID numbering as of earlier today, and here's why:

Some content owners have already uploaded files here that were previously at UKTS, and I wanted to make it possible for those files to keep their UKTS file ID's.

Hopefully that will make it easier if or when the UKTS library should indeed shut down as announced. I'm hoping it won't, but as I've said many times before, preservation is this site's primary mission.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_400686.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	2288645
    If you'd like to start referring to file ID numbers in your descriptions, please feel free to do so as I won't be adjusting them further.

There's also a link to search by file ID on the Advanced Search page, which you can reach from the File Library sub-menu.

In closing... I'm glad to say the State of the Site remains good. That's made possible by all of your contributions, be it posts, screenshots, file uploads, or memberships.

We need a good balance of each, and I'm grateful for each and every one of you who find your own way to help make this site a success.

If you have been visiting with us for a while and haven't considered one of our memberships, I hope you'll take a minute to think about the value for what you've downloaded or learned here, and help make that possible for someone else discovering our hobby in the future.

In the meantime.... go have some fun, and perhaps go run a steam activity to remember our departed friends.
    Last edited by eric; 10-17-2023, 03:23 PM.

• talos888
      talos888 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for all your dedication, to your site, to the games and to people...
    Posting comments is disabled.

article_tags

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Run8 Studios MP15 Pack #3 Available
    by eric

Run8 Studios​ has just released their newest equipment pack -- four more MP15's in new liveries:
    • BN patched to BNSF
    • SP patched to UP
    • GMTX
    • CSX
    These grizzled veterans help round out the previous liveries in Packs 1 and 2 (BN, BNSF Heritage I, BNSF Swoosh, NS, SP, Amtrak, Union Pacific, CSX YN3 and Run8 RR).

Each locomotive has a 3D cab, animated windows, doors, windshield wipers, and many other cool features that only Run8 offers.

If you like switching, check...
    Posted Yesterday, 05:14 PM
  • State of the Site: May 2024
    by eric

Where has the year gone? Here we are almost in the month of June, my granddaughter is out of school again, and my wife's tomato patch looks to be off to a good start. Still waiting for the cicadas to hatch up in our neck of the woods, but I can't say I'm too concerned if they don't manage to show up. They're ugly and the dogs will probably be a bit freaked out...

This week got off to a very interesting start... a perennial favorite here at Trainsim.Com has an update: the Full Bucket...
    Posted 05-31-2024, 09:29 PM
  • Memorial Day
    by eric

It's Memorial Day in the United States.

As most Americans will be enjoying the day off from work today, I wanted to write and acknowledge that our very ability to enjoy a holiday came at a very high price, which was paid for by those who gave their lives in conflict.

Previously known as Decoration Day, this is not a day of celebration. It's not intended to be a day for parties, boating or barbecues.

It is a day of commemoration, specifically set...
    Posted 05-27-2024, 06:58 AM
  • 3dTrains ORTS and v4 F-Units now available
    by eric

If you're a fan of EMD F-Units, chances are one of the 3DTrains options posted to the Store this week will fit right in with your MSTS/ORTS collection. The ORTS Santa Fe F7 pack is designed for OpenRails, including a true 3D cab. The model detail is outstanding, and looks incredible pulling the El Capitan cars from NAVS in the library. A few folks have already told me the cab works great on other E and F units, so it may be worth the purchase just for that added feature and realism. There are also 13 v4...
    Posted 05-21-2024, 02:23 AM
  • Run8 Viewliner II Pack
    by eric

Just in time for the summer travel season, the team at Run8Studios.com have come out with their Viewliner II pack, as well as v3 Update 15.

Viewliners were developed in the 1990's to replace the remaining "Heritage" sleeping car fleet that had served Amtrak for over 25 years, and had been with the predecessor roads prior to that. A new modular approach was used for construction of the dorms, sleepers and diners. The shell of the car is physically separate from the interior. Duri...
    Posted 05-17-2024, 10:32 AM
  • Pacific Surfliner available in the Store
    by eric

Now available.... the 3DTrains Pacific Surfliner trainset. The Surfliner has a special place in my railfanning history, so I'm really happy to see this available again. We used to camp almost monthly at San Clemente and San Onofre, and would walk past the tracks daily going down to the beach. Pausing to watch the Surfliners roll by was always part of those beach days for me. I've long been a fan of F59PHI's, having ridden behind them countless times in Texas on the Trinity Railway Express, a...
    Posted 05-13-2024, 10:00 PM
Working...
X