Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of the Site - February 2024

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• State of the Site - February 2024

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_500408.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.4 KB ID:	2295561 And just like that, NFL football is over for the season.

Those of you who don't follow football closely may not understand the emptiness that sets in following the end of the regular season (especially for those whose teams don't make the playoffs), but for me, watching football is a block on the weekend where I am guaranteed to get mostly uninterrupted time to concentrate on programming fixes and other things Trainsim related because our household watches a lot of football...

Congrats to the 49'ers and Chiefs for making it to the league final (I won't say the event's name because of trademarking...). Both teams put up a great fight in Las Vegas, and I have to say that while I tend to favor the NFC, an overtime victory for KC was a bit bittersweet for us Green Bay fans, as we lost to the 49'ers a few weeks back in the divisional round, yet beat the Chiefs during in the regular season.

It's good to know we beat them just a few months back, but it sure would have been nice to have facing them again on Sunday.

Ah well.

Fortunately, the UFL starts up at the end of March... I've really enjoyed having the USFL and the XFL during the past two years, and this will be the third year straight with a solid Spring League offering. Fingers crossed that it continues. I might even get to a game this year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lucy.gif Views:	0 Size:	281.1 KB ID:	2295568 As mentioned last week, Bundles have been rolling out on a steady pace. We're now approaching 60.

Many thanks to the activity designers and re-skinners who are now including the file ID dependencies in their descriptions, which make it a lot easier to add the bundles as files get approved for the library. The initial self-service capability for uploaders to define their own bundles had some bugs that needed to be worked out, but that's been fixed for the last week, so please feel give it a shot on your own items if you wish.

Some of the new Bundles include several multi-part routes old and new, and of course, some reskins and activities.

I've also added a couple "Essentials" packs, including one with the most commonly used track and road sets for beginners to download (quota-free), one with all of the replacement default freight cars created by North American V-Scale (also quota-free), and a couple with locomotives, passenger and freight cars used by many of the India routes.

For now, the single-zip download is limited to paid members, but I'm hoping to be able to open this up to free members within the next week or so.

The intent is to keep packaging things up as long as there's interest or demand. If there are packs you think would make for a better new-user experience with OpenRails or any other sim we support in the file library, please let me know via PM. I know there are probably some opportunities within the UKTS library as well, which admittedly I'm not as familiar with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_500411.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.4 KB ID:	2295574 Speaking of UKTS....

Thanks to everyone who has stepped up with their own copies.

Another batch of 1740 files from the UKTS repository was received recently, bringing us closer to a complete mirror of that file library.

By the latest count, there are less than 270 files missing, and many of these appear to be withdrawn thus not available for some time prior to the shutdown.

If you contributed files at UKTS under a different username, please let me know and I'll adjust ownership of those files so you can manage any uploads you did while that site was operating.

And, as has been stated all along, if you uploaded items to UKTS and don't want them available anymore, let me know and we can pull them from the catalog. I'd hope you reconsider that, though, and continue to let the files remain available for those who might still be interested in them.

So far, only one author has requested files pulled, and I do hope they'll change their mind eventually and allow them back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	60674a29f6bd06103144a5b4_homepageGMTS.png Views:	0 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	2295566 If you're in or near the Chicago Area.... Sunday, March 3rd, several of us are making plans to meet up at the Great Midwest Train Show, which is held monthly at the DuPage County Fairgrounds in Wheaton.

This show is a bit of a monster... 300 tables in three buildings, which has grown quite a bit since I last went as a kid in the 1970's...

Afterward and weather permitting, some of us will likely venture over to JB Tower in West Chicago (where the CN/EJ&E crosses the UP/CNW) for some 1:1 train viewing. Believe it or not, I've yet to actually rail-fan at JB, so I'm looking forward to that new experience.

Reservations are not required, but the train show does charge admission, and offers a discount for those who purchase their tickets online.

More information is in Jack's thread here which we'll also use to coordinate closer to the actual date.

I know in the past that some folks out California have met up at places like Tehachapi, and I think meet-ups like this are a great extension of what we do here online.

Now that I'm looking at that HST... it's time to go run them thru the Rattlesnake Desert... one of those things you can only do in a simulator. It might not make sense, but I really enjoyed riding them 22 years ago, and I'm long overdue for getting re-acquainted with them.

Thanks to all of you who make a daily, weekly, or otherwise regular stop here to see what's going on, and for all who continue to help provide advice, uploads, and screenshots.

It's what makes this place a community.
      Posting comments is disabled.

article_tags

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• State of the Site - February 2024
      by eric

And just like that, NFL football is over for the season. Those of you who don't follow football closely may not understand the emptiness that sets in following the end of the regular season (especially for those whose teams don't make the playoffs), but for me, watching football is a block on the weekend where I am guaranteed to get mostly uninterrupted time to concentrate on programming fixes and other things Trainsim related because our household watches a lot of football... Congrats to the ...
      Posted 02-12-2024, 01:16 AM
    • Bundles of Bundles
      by eric

A number of routes old and new have been bundled recently, which means you can get all of the required items in a single zip if you're a First Class or FastPass member. To view the list of current routes and other files that are bundled, Click here With the new track pieces for older routes available, you might want to rediscover a few of the older gems including the various Milwaukee Road "Lines West" such as the RMD East, RMD West, Idaho and Coast divisions. Or maybe the Pacific Electric o...
      Posted 02-07-2024, 06:02 PM
    • State of the Site -- January 2024
      by eric

I'd say we are off to a very good start to the year... The last few years, I've been out of meaningful NFL football to watch by the first week of January, and able to spend more time doing other things. This year, my Packers shocked the world and knocked out the #2 Dallas Cowboys, making it to the Divisional Round officially as the youngest average age team in NFL history and the first #7 seed to advance to the Divisional Round... Unfortunately, this past weekend they lost a close game to the...
      Posted 01-14-2024, 12:23 AM
    • Happy 2024!
      by eric

During the last year...

An average of 10,000 pages were visited daily...
      624 people made 11,610 posts to our forums...
      264 people sent 2,089 private messages...
      153 people uploaded 1,334 screenshots and other attachments...
      110 people uploaded 442 files to the library...
      Over 18,000 unique users downloaded 735,664 files from the library...

Since August, 11,040 users performed 906,271 searches of the file library...

Numbers like...
      Posted 12-31-2023, 04:57 PM
    • The Night Before Christmas
      by eric

'Twas the Night before Christmas, and all through the yard, Not a whistle was blowing, not a steam plume stirred. The engines, all silent, in slumber did sleep, While visions of passengers danced in their dreams. The rails, silver gleamed in the pale moon's light, As signals stood frozen, no red to ignite. No coal clattered down, no pistons did churn, Only soft winter snowflakes softly did turn. On the roundhouse roof, perched high with a grin, A lone Santa conductor, his work nearly din. He che...
      Posted 12-18-2023, 04:52 PM
    • State of the Site - December 2023
      by eric

Where has the time gone? We're just a week out from Christmas, and a fortnight from the New Year... The month started out with some bad news regarding one of our early members and long-time moderator on the site... Our friend Dave Edwards passed away on December 7th. He'd been battling health issues for the last few years, and while things were looking better over the past couple months, he took a sudden turn for the worse. There's a thread in the "We Remember" forum for those looking for more de...
      Posted 12-10-2023, 11:04 PM
    Working...
    X