Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1800's Track rule (Narrow gauge(ish)?

Hello again everyone!

I'm looking for a good track AND track rule for track with say the U.S. western early 1800's era with tight curves. Early steam era. I have found some narrow gauge track but that leaves me with little-to-no useful consist. I am perfectly willing to forgo narrow gauge, but would really like that look.

It looks like I may have to create my OWN track rule...(I don't wanna, I don't wanna..), I've been down that path and used up the better part of a year...and never did get it working. (One of the ways I got to know just about everybody on this site.)

any help is always appreciated,

Dave

GreatNortherner's trackrules, GN Mainline MS, and GN Mainline 3D. Both standard gauge. If you have his Big Horn Route, you should have this track available.

Comment

Thanks Gwgardner;
      I was looking at using those tracks if they are in fact the best for the job. The "GN_Yellow" track seems to match the terrain the best so far.

Comment

I am researching a route project that would have standard and narrow gauge plus 3-rail, but of course 3-rail tracks do not exist. Hopefully someone with the skills could whip those up someday. Until then I would just use standard gauge in its place.

I saw some narrow gauge track released recently over at UKTrainsim but have not checked them out yet. Are those the ones you are using Otterbear (edit, just saw these are 2'3" tracks, not 3' ones)?

Trevor
        Last edited by TDHenderson; 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I actually have the NG track from UKTrainsim. Pretty neat looking. Unfortunately NOTHING that will run on them, unless I pay to have a CD shipped across the "Pond". I didn't really want to wait that long if I don't have too.
          However, looking at how long it may take to get my route MARKERS to show up...I may have plenty of time on my hands.
          I believe that they are in fact 2'3", but that wouldn't bother me much if I had the stock to run on it.

What your looking for may not be an option. I'm sure that RW doesn't like to have more than one track rule in use at a time. I guess you(or somebody proficient at creating track rules), could create a Track rule that included all those types of track.
          I have no idea though if that is even possible.
          Good luck with that.

Thanks for the heads-up on the NG track though,

Dave

Comment

Yea, what I need is a set of standard gauge tracks with a third rail laid inside to accomodate 3ft narrow gauge.

Trevor

Comment

Oh, I get it...
              I think that may have been done in RS, Not sure that it was carried over to RW.
              I think as far as RW is concerned...the different (Non-electric) track types are just cosmetic anyway. I'm sure you could run the track, it just wouldn't look right at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Otterbear View Post
                Thanks Gwgardner;
                I was looking at using those tracks if they are in fact the best for the job. The "GN_Yellow" track seems to match the terrain the best so far.
                I used the GN_Yellow on my Cimarron & Pacific mainline, if you want to get a look at a long section of it scenicked. I used the GN_bridge for the yard track. It's in the file library. Pics also in the screenshots forum section.

Also, you mentioned sending a CD over to the UK to get rolling stock for the 2'3" ng track? Please provide more info on that, as it would work great for me if there are any flatcars. I'm currently using the Phorum Penninsula ng track, but there are no flatcars for logging.
                Last edited by gwgardner; 10-18-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Over at UKTrainsim, I came across a link in the forums, for some narrow gauge engines, the creator Kevin Martin, has quite a few for MSTS, but not so many for RW. This link should get you started in the right direction as far as finding his stuff goes. http://uktrainsim.com//filelib-info....m_fileid=18520 (This guy has done EXTENSIVE work with RS at least and maybe RW too.)
                  Hope this helps.
                  Im not sure if it was the same guy, but there is a RW NG payware route (very inexpensive) out there, I just haven't gotten around to purchasing it. It comes with a couple engines, also the NG track of course. I think he could point you in the right direction as far as flatcars for logging and the such.
                  If I stumble upon it again, I'll update you.

HERE it is ----> http://www.sptalyllyn.co.uk/tr_rw.html
                  Last edited by Otterbear; 10-19-2011, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks much.

Comment

Otterbear - for some reason I can't log in to the PM system at present.

In answer to your questions, no I'm not the author of the GN track system though I agree there are some decent track types in there.

Don't forget you are not limited to the track types listed in the "rule" you can use any track section you like from the drop down list. All that happens is that some of the features such as changing sound properties aren't available.

I have had a go at creating my own track rule, there is actually a page on the RS.com Wiki which probably explains this better than I can!
                      Vern.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
                        Otterbear - for some reason I can't log in to the PM system at present.

In answer to your questions, no I'm not the author of the GN track system though I agree there are some decent track types in there.
                        Thats OK, I just had to know before I spent more time than I needed with this.

Don't forget you are not limited to the track types listed in the "rule" you can use any track section you like from the drop down list. All that happens is that some of the features such as changing sound properties aren't available.

I have had a go at creating my own track rule, there is actually a page on the RS.com Wiki which probably explains this better than I can!
                        Thanks so much for getting back to me on this.
                        This is what I have done, however I think that this may cause problems when trying to connect track as well as crossovers / welds and the like.
                        I've been using the Wiki for the process, but details are sketchy and of course NO pictures of what they are doing. (I also used other(s) Track rules as examples and extrapolated a lot of info that way.)
                        I did try to use trial and error, but I feel I MUST be missing something...it can't be as difficult to create as I'm making it.
                        I will keep trying. Unfortunately, if not done correctly, my route will lock up when I create/export it to my route.
                        I really appreciate all you help, Thanks again,
                        Dave

Comment

You must make points and crossovers/diamonds from the same type of track, however on plain line you can mix and match as much as you please, just don't change to a different track rule.
                          Vern.

Comment

Cool Beans!
                            Thanks Vern.

Comment

You must make points and crossovers/diamonds from the same type of track, however on plain line you can mix and match as much as you please, just don't change to a different track rule.
                              Yes to the former, but don't know where the latter notion originated.

As far as I am concerned you can mix as many trackrules in a route's track as you like as long as their tracks gauge matches !

O t t o

Web site: www.otto-wipfel.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X