Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Off-line" will not start.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    "Off-line" will not start.

    Due to an ongoing family emergency, (which has been going on for 3 months now) I am forced to be away from my home, home computer and Railworks. Today I was home and tried to run it for a few minutes. Our cable provider has temporarily dropped us, and we have no internet at home. When steam asked me if I wanted to run in off-line mode, I clicked yes. It still would not start. It kept telling me that there was no internet connection. I kept trying to start it in offline, but nothing. Any ideas? Pretty annoying.

    Thanks for the help.

    Nathan

    #2
    I think you need to be logged online when you initially select to run offline mode, presumably as an anti-piracy check. Once you've done that, then you can start offline on subsequent sessions.
    Vern.

    Comment


      #3
      Hi Nathan,
      As Vern has mentioned, you need to be online to be able to choose offline mode. Since you no longer have an Internet connection, you will not be be able to run the game until you'll able to get back online. Curious, how are you posting this question if you don't have an Internet connection? I'm guessing with a mobile device? Is there anyway to connect your mobile device to your computer, go online, then select offline mode? Hope you are able to work something out? Once you do get online, I suggest switching to offline mode and staying in offline mode. I always keep my Rail Works / Steam in offline mode, if my Internet connection goes down, I can still run my game. I only go online when there is an update available.
      sigpic
      Rich S.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks Rich. I'm on a friends PC. I just can't bring RW onto it. I will act on your advice ASAP! Thanks again!

        Comment


          #5
          The Internet is not required to run TS-2012 and does so on my WIN-7 Pro 64-bit computer which has no Internet connection at all !

          O t t o

          Web site: www.otto-wipfel.co.uk

          Comment


            #6
            Find your Railworks folder in your Program Files directory (/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Railworks and then click on RailWorks.exe to start your program. You can also install a shortcut from your desktop. You may have to change your settings first to show hidden files. That worked for me last time the Steam site went offline.

            Gordon

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by OTTODAD View Post
              The Internet is not required to run TS-2012 and does so on my WIN-7 Pro 64-bit computer which has no Internet connection at all !

              O t t o

              Wait a minute Otto, you did a clean install of Rail Works 3 on your WIN-7 Pro 64-bit computer which has no Internet connection at all and you are able to run Rail Works 3 without ever connecting to the Internet? Please explain how you did that?
              sigpic
              Rich S.

              Comment


                #8
                As a follow up to the above posts, last year I experienced the same problem as Nathan mentions above about not being able to switch to off line mode without having an internet connect. Well I just tried again, I closed steam, turned off my internet and restarted steam. As usual it ask how I wanted to start steam and I choose off line mode, well this time it worked, I was able to restart steam in off line mode without being connected to the internet after being previously being connected to steam in on line mode. It seems that this problem has been fixed on my version of Steam.

                Nathan, what is your Steam API version? and package version? Do you have the July 31, 2012 update?
                Otto, what is your Steam API version? Are you running the July 31, 2012 update?
                sigpic
                Rich S.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Richard View Post
                  Otto, what is your Steam API version? Are you running the July 31, 2012 update?
                  I am running v11.7b / SP-1 with the Internet disconnected on the WIN-XP SP3 computer and v7.1a on the WIN-7 computer which can not connect to the Internet at all and it's Steam and Railworks can only be updated by me with what I have approved of !

                  I am not going to explain how I can do the latter as doing so could damage the computers of those trying to do the same !

                  O t t o
                  Web site: www.otto-wipfel.co.uk

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I just tried starting RW with my router turned off, but no go. Came up with the box asking how I wanted to start steam. I clicked on the off line button then it said cannot connect to steam.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Richard View Post
                      As a follow up to the above posts, last year I experienced the same problem as Nathan mentions above about not being able to switch to off line mode without having an internet connect. Well I just tried again, I closed steam, turned off my internet and restarted steam. As usual it ask how I wanted to start steam and I choose off line mode, well this time it worked, I was able to restart steam in off line mode without being connected to the internet after being previously being connected to steam in on line mode. It seems that this problem has been fixed on my version of Steam.

                      Nathan, what is your Steam API version? and package version? Do you have the July 31, 2012 update?
                      Otto, what is your Steam API version? Are you running the July 31, 2012 update?
                      Seems as if the a steam update has just fixed the problem. Tried off line before and it wouldn't work, then Steam did an update and now it does start in off line mode. Nathan would have to go online to get the Steam update for it to work.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Richard View Post
                        Nathan, what is your Steam API version? and package version? Do you have the July 31, 2012 update?
                        I really don't know. It'll be a while till I can find out.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I was able to start in off line mode after the August 24th Steam update.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X