X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real-life train driver plays TSW3

A lady who goes by the YT name of "RailCowGirl", and who is a professional locomotive driver in Norway (she used to do passenger trains but is now on freight), was invited to "play-test" TSW3 and live-stream it.

Here is the link, if you are interested:

IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

There is a NA driver video i watched as well Bruce, on YT.

Driving on the Cajon Pass route. He is less than complimentary, about the experience.

Thanks for the link, i might have a look later. If i am feeling just a bit masochistic.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Comment

So does she like her ride?

Any spoilers?
      Discord https://discord.gg/zfxTBbnu3K
      YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanMurrellRTS
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SurvivorSean View Post
        So does she like her ride?
        No idea. I didn't watch the video as I'm not really into TSW.
        IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Comment

Well I'm in the same boat, but I'm certainly curious. Considering some places boast TSW as the best train simulator out there I'd love to see an actual railroader rate this as high.

Thanks

Sean
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SurvivorSean View Post
            Well I'm in the same boat, but I'm certainly curious. Considering some places boast TSW as the best train simulator out there I'd love to see an actual railroader rate this as high.

Thanks

Sean
            Going on 8 years as a railroad employee, with 6 years of locomotive engineer experience, and I will be honest, TSW is more eye candy than anything. Physics wise, I think ORTS is still the best one out there with the countless folks that actively work on getting train handling near perfect to simulate the real rail industry.
            I will once again give high praise to Trainsimulations Mullan Pass package. Those guys did a fantastic job simulating the realism of pure mountain grade running and helper service.

TSW does have some decent physics, but to say it's the best? No, I'm afraid it's far from the best, it's definitely more eye candy than anything to be honest.
            -Shawn K-
            Derby Rail Shops

Comment

TSW scores best with its modern passenger stuff, especially the German routes. The US freight experience is better than it was but I think their Simugraph physics engine dislikes NA freight physics nearly as much as it does steam traction.

Although I've not touched it for a few weeks (got bored with the lack of purpose*) Run 8 still probably the market leader for NA authenticity.

* Which to some extent is still the boon of TSW, the all day timetable plus scripted scenarios (when they work). Conversely there are times on the NA routes, particularly Clinchfield, when I find myself thinking wish I could play this Run 8 style.
              Vern.

Comment

Make your own mind up boys. I do not have an axe to grind, because i will never buy TSW3. The UK freight driver knows far more than me about modern freight, anyway. US review, obviously i am clueless.

Mike.
                Last edited by haverfordwest; 10-25-2022, 06:56 AM.
                Yma O Hyd

Comment

Cont..........................

Mike.
                  Yma O Hyd

Comment

Yeah Shawn's review and the headlines are all I care to invest

OR better than Run8 in physics? That's interesting as I don't have the latest ORTS and I'm not an engineer. Now if they could get a really good world save and AI like Run8 I would be very interested.

As for TSW after 3 versions we can't even have a real activity editor that is doable in Unreal since they are scripting of objects and triggers and not messing with the actual world scenery in the Unreal editor. I totally get why a world editor is much more complex. Some decent AI would be nice as well. Scripting works, but you need something to adapt to changes in the world.

Thanks

Sean
                    sigpic

Comment

There never wil be an editor in TSW as it's geared towards console players and you can't edit games in XBox and Playstation like you can on a home computer. The young lady driver stated in her video, the game is basically driving a train from a-b, which we knew already, we only have pre-created scenarios to utilise, there is no ''freeroam'' function to allow us to drive anywhere we want to on the maps, and change junctions to allow us to drive on all the trackwork that DTG have provided, how on earth can they call this a Simulator, it's an arcade game. Looking at the screenshots on the other thread everywhere seems to be a wishy washy bleached out environment, with bland textures, brilliantly dazzling sunshine which is not authentic for the British routes and hardly any clutter by the sides of the tracks, paper, cardboard, supermarket trollies, etc, etc, we have this in TS Classic, which certainly offers much more scenery assets for the game and makes the layouts far more realistic.
                      Can't get excited about this version of TSW at all, no wow factor, I'll stick to what we have already in Train Simulator Classic, from trams to steam locos, old and new diesel and electric locomotives from across the globe, more than enough to keep us going for as long as we want.

Cheerz. Steve.
                      i7 10700k 3.8GHz Eight Core CPU, Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE AX, 32GB RAM, nVidia RTX3060ti 8GB, WIN10 PRO 64-bit. 10xTB in HDDs total.

Comment

Sean,
                        Can't say much about Run8 as I've never bought it or played around with it.
                        I've only got MSTS, ORTS, Trainz, Train Simulator 2020, and Train Sim Worlds to compared.

We all know how janky MSTS was, so that's already out the window.
                        But ORTS compared to the others, physics are always being improved and feel like reality.
                        Train Simulator, and Train Sim World just seem more like they prefer eye candy looks compared to actual movements of trains.

Of course, I've played with TSW on both PC and Xbox, so it's interesting, I noticed physics wise it seems to handle a little more realistic on PC versus the Xbox.
                        -Shawn K-
                        Derby Rail Shops

Comment

There is no other sim that comes even close to the the real life experience of driving a real train than Run8. We are small but Mighty team of real train engineers and people who know about trains. Try it it might find you like it.
                          sparkplug

Comment

In North America it seems that is the consensus. Considering the number of current and former crews who use Run8. Now SimRail seems very authentic looking as far as Poland goes. But I really don't have enough experience or insight on how it compares to a Zusi or the others (whatever they are).

I sincerely wish TSW would simply get better and include a proper world save like Run8, and at least better feeling physics. Railroader from what I understand has lots of the Run8 stuff but is more geared to being fun then a full blow simulator like Run8 is.

I also would like to see Run8 cover more areas and have some extra cash I'd be happy to part with for the right DLC product(s). Much more interested in new regions than rolling stock or add ons to existing regions. Otherwise AI switching would be the holy grail because then it could pretty much handle any region regardless of the size or number of participants in real time.

Thanks

Sean
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm currently embarking on a "Festival Of Germany" in TSW. Most of the German routes and traction are very good, a cut above the rest. Currently having a blast with the G6 on the Bremen to Oldenburg route.
                              Vern.

Comment

Working...
                              X