X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has it been nearly 20 years already?!

Uncle E here. Also known in some parts of the internet as KLSC85. I've been lurking (and occasionally contributing) since Two Double Zero-something-or-other. Back around 2003 I found MSTS at Walmart (I still have the original discs), loaded it on my 2002 version Dell Dimension 2400 (which I still have), eventually upgraded to Open Rails on a HP ProBook 4540s (itself upgraded with a solid state hard drive), crammed it with 30 routes (two of which I created) and 7-plus gigs of rolling stock, and grudgingly learned to accept the occasional sub-20 FPS. Yeah, I know I need a better computer. Someday. Maybe when Windows 12 comes out...

I remember this site's earlier days when those of us relatively new to train-simming would sit at the virtual feet of tutors like Otto Wipfel and Jim Ward. I have to tip my hat to the pioneers of payware, including Maple Leaf Tracks, 3dTrains, Streamlines, Gaetan and Rick, and others I've supported through the years. I can't forget Steve Davis' Activity Generator and Activity Master, which I believed were "The Missing Links of MSTS" (sadly, AG and TSRE5 don't talk to each other, unless someone knows some hack I don't. That's why I keep my Dell dinosaur around). And I remember how nervous I was to upload my first attempt at an activity package, "Old School Sandpatch", and how mildly shocked I was that people actually downloaded it!.

Times have changed, names have changed, others have passed on. But I like to think that those of us who got hooked on MSTS, then hung in until a new breed of software designers came along (Goku especially), will remain members of this hobby, and visitors here, for a long time to come.

Thanks, Eric for giving us this site to hang out on.
    Whatever's cold in my fridge is the Official Beer of ​sigpicOpen Rails.

"Old School Sandpatch" ... is it still in the library I wonder? Welcome back, I remember you from around the time I joined in 2013.....you might enjoy the thread link below....in development screenshots from TrainSimulations ( the former SLI - Streamlines ) new SandPatch for Open Rails.

I'm starting a centralized thread to cover the progress of the new Sand Patch as updates have more to show as work progresses on the route. Sand Patch Grade will cover the entirety of the ex-B&O mainline from Cumberland, MD to Connellsville, PA and is set in the 1986 to1989 timeframe when it was still known as the
    Cheers, Gerry
    "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
    Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Old School Sandpatch is awesome! I still run those activities.

Comment

[QUOTE=R. Steele;n2305246]"Old School Sandpatch" ... is it still in the library I wonder?

Nope. I asked Eric to remove it from the library since some of the rolling stock came from Mophouse.

Uncle E
        Whatever's cold in my fridge is the Official Beer of ​sigpicOpen Rails.

Comment

Working...
        X