X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amtrak train derails near Philadelphia

I just heard on the local news here that an Amtrak train derailed near Philadelphia. I have CNN on and it looks like whole train derailed.

Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter called the incident "an absolute disastrous mess," adding "I have never seen anything like it."

CNN mentioned (I take CNN with a grain of salt) possible CSX train involved. [Edit: Confirmed false.]

Judging by the video and being in the Frankford Section.. I have to imagine it was this curve.

Last edited by styckx; 05-12-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

This is what happens if profit is to be maximized ...

The US is no stranger to fatal railway accidents: over the last decade, dozens of lives were lost, and hundreds of people injured in train wrecks. All this is due to lack of funding, infrastructure and development, critics say.

The US is no stranger to fatal railway accidents: over the last decade, dozens of lives were lost, and hundreds of people injured in train wrecks. All this is due to lack of funding, infrastructure and development, critics say.
      sigpic

Comment

While I can agree that Amtrak could benefit from better funding, I noticed several of the cited collisions were in fact wholly human error. I was, however, completely unaware that Amtrak had a tragic derailment yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by tbundy1982 View Post
          While I can agree that Amtrak could benefit from better funding, I noticed several of the cited collisions were in fact wholly human error.
          Another example of bad journalism, especially since the cause of yesterday's derailment is unknown so far.

Comment

I'm going completely blind here, when I heard the train had derailed last night it looked like it was head on with another train, then I seen that there was no other train was involved, I'm guessing it was either the engineer had some form of drug or alcohol in his system, or the track gave way under the train, but of course we're not too sure yet so I may not be accurate at all but still the today show may not be either
            ROCK ISLAND
            https://www.YouTube.com/trainbot1

Comment

The Today Show....now there's some accurate reporting. Watch your guesses though Trainbot, an engineer can run a train off the tracks without being under the influence of drugs or alcohol. How many sleep deprived, distracted, or sloppy control instances have there been in the last handful of years?
              Not knocking train crews in any way, nor even coming close to assuming a thing with this unfortunate event. Just making a point.
              Neil

Chicago Railroading Fan

Comment

My heart goes out to the 7 people that perished, and families that lost loved ones in this crash. I have not heard if any of the train crew were among the dead. There are so many things that could fail or be responsible, it is way too soon to speculate on cause. They did recover the recorders, so a lot of data will help diagnose this wreck. Again, my sympathies for all involved, and for those disrupted in the Northeast as the lines are inoperative!!
                sigpic

Comment

Just saw this, prayers to the families involved.

I think the reason for the derailment was that the train was going too fast (at least 100mph) for the curve (speed limit 50mph).

Just like a semi taking a freeway cloverleaf too fast, the laws of physics took over and the train simply tipped over due to the excess speed.

Comment

Entered a 50mph curve at 100mph -- the same apparent cause as happened with the Metro North derailment as well the one in Spain last year.

That's clearly not a funding issue, so please don't continue down that line of discussion....

What it may be reviving is the call for crew-facing cameras in the cab. There's no good way to verify that someone isn't using a PED or nodding off except for video. I know it isn't a popular topic with the employees or the unions, but when you're on company property, there's no illusion of privacy anywhere except perhaps the lavatory or a bunk in an approved rest area.
                    Last edited by eric; 05-13-2015, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
                      http://www.wsj.com/articles/deadly-t...ess-1431499608

Entered a 50mph curve at 100mph -- the same apparent cause as happened with the Metro North derailment as well the one in Spain last year.

That's clearly not a funding issue, so please don't continue down that line of discussion.
                      Yes, it clearly is a human error issue then ... for whatever reason. Let's wait and see what the investigation will conclude.
                      sigpic

Comment

There is more to the speeding story than simply failing to slow for this curve. The top permitted speed between 30th st station and Frankford Jct is only 80 for inner tracks, 70 for outer tracks, so why was it doing 100+ ?

Pg 168, "Crv east of shore" is the accident curve.
                        My Open Rails videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClc...1kBPO2A/videos

Comment

Within about 20 minutes time two other passenger trains were hit by objects that shattered their windshields all within a few minutes travel distance from the crash site. It might be coincidence, but then again it might not??
                          sigpic

Comment

I'll agree that it doesn't take any inebriation or playing with your phone to wreck a train. How many of us have "oopsies" while running simulators? Sometimes it only takes a few seconds of closing your eyes...

I am surprised that Amtrak doesn't have some sort of PTC that (somewhat) prevents something like this from happening. Their current train control must be signal based without regards to speed.

Any train wreck where lives are lost is a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to those affected.

Tyler

Comment

Everyone can play "Devil's Advocate" on here from just hearing what all the news channels & services are providing the general public. They hype the event to make ratings & provide a lot of speculation. Sad how they can make you laugh in a tragic event because they all become rail aficionados. We all can say human error but we don't know at all at this time. You can also say, "Remember the ASC-64 is a new piece of motive power just over a year in service. Could it be a design flaw not caught before - during -after production?" See, that is what playing devil's advocate does. Stating something with no sustained facts yet.

We all know what is in front of us, true or false from the reporting we watched. Lets let the NTSB and the other agencies involve get the evidence, review the data and present it to us. Then we all can make an intelligent call on the events that happened and not look like we work at CNN or Fox News.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.
                              sigpic - Mark -

Comment

Working...
                              X