X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"CSX S..ks"

Was given this link to look at. Are US Railroads really that bad to work for, or is this an exaggerated case of dis-gruntled employees and ex-employees having their say?

Either way I promise to never moan again about the terms and conditions we enjoy working in the UK rail industry!
    Vern.

it was made by a previous worker of csx, he didnt like it his job because he didnt get paid as much as he thought he would, so he quit and made the site. my advice to him is, don't throw a hissy fit over not being paid as much as your co workers.
    ROCK ISLAND
    https://www.YouTube.com/trainbot1

Comment

Whatever trainbot1's opinion of the site creator's motivation I'd say that this is a company that has a good few issues? A picture is worth a thousand words/ ...and many adverse comments are posted by long term employees. I guess this makes you glad we've got the HSE with union and management safety reps Vern? ...well I'm assuming your employers have the reps that is because we definitely have the HSE who'd be "all over" some of the incidents pictured here?
      Geoff
      Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
      UK

Comment

Any company with more than 10 workers will have someone who hates their job. I listened to whining at the airline for 14 years, but none of the whiners ever seem to quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

For obvious reasons I can't say too much about my current corner of the railway, but we certainly have a lot to be thankful for to Mr Hidden, following the tragic Clapham crash. I think it is safe to relate though back in 1989, when I first went into a "safety critical" environment, short turnrounds were still commonplace. It was not unusual to be rostered a Saturday night turn (possibly at the end of a week of Nights), finish at 0700 on the Sunday morning and come back for a 1400 Late Turn that same day. If you were really unlucky, then you got an Early Turn (0700 start) on the Monday. That wasn't driving trains but still making safety related decisions in a considerably fatigued state.

Things are much more civilised now thank goodness and there is always 12 hours rest between finishing one shift and starting another with 32 hours between finishing nights and starting a day turn. And of course it's fair to say in those bygone BR days, the money was a big motivator - you didn't pass up your Sunday unless you were terminally ill or mad!
          Last edited by NorthernWarrior; 08-29-2015, 11:16 AM.
          Vern.

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
            Any company with more than 10 workers will have someone who hates their job. I listened to whining at the airline for 14 years, but none of the whiners ever seem to quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Maybe ....but what anyone with even a passing interest in their job should note is when the "whining" (you could of course substitute "justifiable complaints" for that? ) comes from people with a lot of experience and service in the job, it's usually because of poor management communication? Remember "communication" is a two way traffic? ...and there's none so deaf as those who don't want to hear? Cutting corners or risking safety to "make a buck" by either manager or worker is going to end badly. Even worse it can end badly for someone innocent in the whole shebang Railways are dangerous places.

PS. BTW Vern, re Clapham, an old colleague and friend of mine ran for that train at Woking and missed it! ...sadly however the daughter of my wife's parents friends was in the front of the following train and died in the accident.
            Last edited by lateagain; 08-29-2015, 12:01 PM. Reason: postscript
            Geoff
            Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
            UK

Comment

CSXT isn't the best company out there.
              -Shawn K-
              Derby Rail Shops
              Maine Central Mountain Division: 20% Track, 10% Scenery.

Comment

From what I've gathered from railroaders on various forums, BNSF ranks highest in employee satisfaction. At the bottom of the list are CP (under the Harrison regime) and NS; I would presume CSX is somewhere in the middle.

Comment

Any company with more than 10 workers will have someone who hates their job. ....
                  Where do you get that statistic?
                  I know of businesses with less staff with employees who hate their jobs and I also know of businesses with dozens of people who all love their jobs.
                  Last edited by seagoon; 08-29-2015, 05:03 PM.
                  IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Comment

The reason the whiners stay is because it provides a paycheck. And just because they complain and whine doesn't mean that what they are complaining about isn't legit.

The comments on the site linked above are mostly on par. This isn't simply a disgruntled employee. Railroads today aren't employee friendly. I've watched employee morale deteriorate over the last 20 years due to increased work requirements with small pay raises, denial of legitimate pay claims, blatant violations of union agreements, higher health costs, increased testing, and job reductions to bare bones levels.

The number one priority of today's railroads is to please the shareholders. Shippers/Customers are number two. The manager right out of college with no (zero) railroad experience ranks higher than the experienced quality employee doing the work.

It will get worse. But yes we keep on working there and we will continue whining hoping for the unlikely change.

Pessimistic? No.

Realistic. Yes.
                    Last edited by P834C; 09-01-2015, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Can't say that about all Railroads though P834C. There are some shortlines out there, aiming to please the customers on their lines. Due to that, they get the downfall of some class ones that are like that though. CSXT being one of them, NECR being another (although, not a Class One, they are now operated like they are.)

I wouldn't stay at a place like CSXT, even if the paycheck was a healthy one, if it was the case of never being happy.
                      -Shawn K-
                      Derby Rail Shops
                      Maine Central Mountain Division: 20% Track, 10% Scenery.

Comment

Working...
                      X