X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Library cleanup after March 1

Feel free to leave your comments here regarding the announcement on File Library cleanup.

Routes that have already been identified for possible cleanup:
    • Monon - version 8.1 will be retained, v8 and older removed
    • PRR Eastern - 2011 versions will be removed
    • Surfliner v1 from 2009 and v2.0 from 2012 (v2.2 and v2.3 will be kept)
    • DAR v1 and v2 (v3 will be kept)

If anyone identifies others, I'll update the list above.
    Last edited by eric; 02-05-2023, 09:51 PM.

How about looking at anything that hasn't been downloaded in over five years, or another time frame.
    If nobody's wanted it in that long what are the chances anybody will going forward.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by rdayt View Post
      How about looking at anything that hasn't been downloaded in over five years, or another time frame.
      If nobody's wanted it in that long what are the chances anybody will going forward.

Randy
      Not at this point. Part of the intent of the file library was to be a museum. A record of where the hobby has been and where it's going.

There are currently over 63,000 files in the library, representing 339Gb of data. 46,000 of those are over 12 years old, so it's possible some items with low download counts will also be reviewed eventually.

Comment

Give me a couple of days and I can compile a list of stuff of my own, that can absolutely be removed from the library.
        -Shawn K-
        Derby Rail Shops

Comment

You could remove the DAR and the DARv2 routes, they are both part of the DARv3.

dar.zip

darv2.zip

Paul :-)

Comment

I like the idea of deleting legacy, but keeping most current versions of routes.
            Neil

Chicago Railroading Fan

Comment

Could also delete really old rolling stock or things nobody would ever use. Like all the Tony Calorel repaints of abacus I believe models? A lot of things people would never download again.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonjedi1 View Post
                Could also delete really old rolling stock or things nobody would ever use. Like all the Tony Calorel repaints of abacus I believe models? A lot of things people would never download again.
                Right now, I'm downloding some of old's Tony Calorel box cars.
                Perhaps I can finish my search before end of February, I hope.
                Best regards.
                Mateus

Comment

geepster775 writes today:

"There is another library thing that can be pruned - all these repaints based on no longer available models."

I completely agree
                  Mateus

Comment

Blue Comet Lines 2 should be in beta testing this winter (I'm alpha testing it now) and released later in the year. As the first version is over 10 years old, it may use some rolling stock that nobody has downloaded in five years but will suddenly want. Just sayin'.
                    Steve Dunham
                    Drexel Hill, PA
                    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Literalman View Post
                      ...it may use some rolling stock that nobody has downloaded in five years but will suddenly want. Just sayin'.
                      Yup. If we get to a point where older material needs to go overboard, it's going to be determined by a couple factors: age, number of downloads, and last download.

Examples:
                      • 20 years old with 2583 downloads including some as recently as 5 years ago = firmly in the lifeboat
                      • 15 years old with 1558 downloads but none in the last 10 years = might not be safe, but has a life preserver for now
                      • 5 years old with only two downloads = hope it can swim...

Comment

Originally posted by magmateus View Post
                        geepster775 writes today:

"There is another library thing that can be pruned - all these repaints based on no longer available models."

I completely agree
                        Mateus
                        Shouldn't be an issue to those that have all the payware thats available or has been available.

I made the mention to Eric that a lot of my older work pre 2014 can be removed, as most I have purged from my own computer, as well as others that eventually will be updated to newer models available with fresher paint work. Eventually the same will be said about anything of mine pre 2018, but we will start with pre 2014 first. Haha
                        -Shawn K-
                        Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Nels you can delete all the Northwest Line routes off the server. They are grossly outdated.
                          Rory

Comment

Cleaning up the File Library will also hopefully cut down on Bandwidth cost also. No need for old files to be hanging around. Yes MSTS has been around but like you said Erik if minimal D/L's then let the wind take it away.
                            Work Safe play hard

Comment

I would urge some due caution with deleting old rolling stock and locomotives -- some may be dependencies in older routes and activities. While some might prefer to replace them in consists with new, graphically better ones, there may be some who'd prefer be "completionists" and keep original consists.

Likewise, there are some routes with various versions like the default Marias Pass upgrades that are snapshots in time of MSTS route development -- and have their own particular activities as well -- which might be worth keeping to go with the "museum" concept.
                              MSTS-Roundhouse (Technical Difficulties, Please Stand By)

Open Rails and MSTS blog

Comment

Working...
                              X