X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundles Are Here

No, it's not a State Farm commercial, but it's the next best thing.

I mentioned adding Bundles several months back. Now, it's ready to start using, but with a catch....

One of the new uploads to the library this week was smart, and used File ID's to list out the dependencies for their activity, which allowed me to link the dependencies to the activity.

In the file search, you'll see this link:

bundle1.jpg

Click on that, and you'll get the list of items needed for the activity, which you can then download if you don't already have them:

bundle2.jpg

This won't be automatic, but will be available for any activity builder or route builder who can list out the file ID's for any rolling stock or scenery objects that their route requires.

Bundles can also be used with reskins that involve payware, provided its linked from our library. Just provide the file ID in the description.

As the bugs get worked out, I may add this into the self-management page as well. Until then, PM me with the main File ID and the dependencies' File IDs, and I will get them all hitched up faster than Santa's reindeer to his sleigh....
    Last edited by eric; 12-09-2023, 02:53 AM.
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Looks like a great feature and should also help with the adoption of openrails!

Comment

That's a side benefit, for sure.

I can see a future step for this becoming a way to pull files thru a web service... the installer script would need to handle the unzipping and local file placement on the end user's PC, but that's entirely possible.

Until then, just being able to present the shopping list for a recipe is a big step forward. Most of us know what's in our kitchen cabinets or fridge already and which ingredients we need to get from the store.
      If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Great help, Eric.
        Congratulations and thank you.
        Mateus

Comment

A couple functional adds for this ---

In the Update page available to file owners, you can now define your own bundles using the associated file ID's. Add in a list of file ID's separated by a space. You can also delete an existing association by putting a '-' in front of the fileID(s) you want to remove.

In the download display for a bundle, First Class and FastPass members can download a single zip containing all of the zips included in a bundle. For various considerations, this feature will only be available to our paid subscribers.

Feel free to report any bugs here.

Comment

There are limits to this - combined file sizes over 1Gb are too much for the system to handle, and may timeout depending on server resources.
            I mentioned the above in an article last week. This limit seems to have been solved - I just tried one of the Amtrak activities (88349 and it produced a 1Gb file with 70 (yes, 70) files as part of it.

Comment

A new tweak.... You can now include zip file names in the bundle create form.

capture_500511.png

Comment

A zip within a zip?

That reminds me of...
                image.png

Comment

For now, yes that's how it's done and now it's been done for the last 20 years. If we ever get VFS working in orts again, I might reconsider actually assembling new archives. It's not that hard to unpack and restructure the contents of an existing zip file in our catalog into a slightly modified file structure within a new zip.

Comment

I just discovered this feature today. I'm loving it. Now if I can just get about $1000 to get all of the payware just about every new piece of rolling stock is linked to, that'd be nice. That's one of the things that cause great frustration for me. But such is life.

Comment

I would like to request an additional feature. UKTrainsim had the ability to search by file number, and by file name. For instance, if I wanted to search for xxx.zip, I could just type that in and it would come up with that file. Currently, you have to parse through everything with that file put in the description to find it when a simple search for the .zip file would solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowmane View Post
                        the ability to search by file number, and by file name.
                        Friend, that is already able to be done. Do it all the time.

Edit: See following:
                        224.jpg

225.jpg

226.jpg
                        Last edited by oper190; 03-30-2024, 01:45 PM.
                        Owner and CEO of Hart Rail Lines & Hart Commuter Railways, and Hart Rail Cars.
                        It's my Train Sim world so I run HART RL anywhere I want.

Comment

As of last week, you can search just by file number from the main search page. Files can be found from that main search form as well.

capture_500513.png

​Eventually, the separate filename and file ID searches will be disabled now that they're working in the main search form.
                          Last edited by eric; 03-30-2024, 05:12 PM.

Comment

How do I make bundles?

Comment

Originally posted by oper190 View Post

Friend, that is already able to be done. Do it all the time.

Edit: See following:
                              224.jpg

225.jpg

226.jpg
                              Thanks. I didn't see that.

Comment

Working...
                              X