X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new MSTS Compatible sim!

Just found some info on another website.

Here is the link to OpenRails!

Open Rails is a free train simulator supporting the world's largest range of digital content.

Any info about this new project is welcome
    Greetings from the Netherlands
    Visit Dutch MSTS and RailSimulator forum: http://forum.trainsimdatabase.com

From their website it looks to me like their goal is to produce an improved version of MSTS.

CB

Comment

Please remember these are very early days for the project, do not expect too much just yet.
      * Paul Gausden *
      * The Highworth project http://www.highworth.freeuk.com
      * Blog - http://decapod-3d.spaces.live.com/

Comment

Looks like it is a Wayne Campbell (London and Port Stanley) project.

Regards,

Rob.
        Obo's Locomotive Catalogs
        Microsoft Train Simulator/Auran Trainz/RailWorks

Comment

I think it's just great that someone seems to be seriously trying. Is this connected to any of the discussions here that have occurred over the last few months?

I'm sure I lack the kind of programming skills that are necessary to help, however, I'd gladly lend assistance if I can. If it would be useful to contribute any content (shape/texture/sounds etc.) to the effort, I'd gladly give access to any of my stuff.

Steve

Comment

YEAH!!! And... WOW!!! This is what the established MSTS base is looking for. Really cool!
            sigpic
            Bridges of Abo Canyon / Land of Enchantment

Comment

I agree with Tom. this is just what MSTS needs. Its sorta like a big patch for MSTS. I hope that the preformance of TS will be smoother, faster load times etc.
              sigpic

Comment

What MSTS needs more than anything else is another more up-to-date graphics engine and unless somebody has the source code of MSTS can not see how improvements to it's graphics can be made.

O t t o
                Web site: www.otto-wipfel.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by OTTODAD View Post
                  What MSTS needs more than anything else is another more up-to-date graphics engine and unless somebody has the source code of MSTS can not see how improvements to it's graphics can be made.

O t t o
                  I agree with you Otto, and right now, I don't see much improvement based on the current screenshots. But as mentioned before, this is very early in the project, and they might surprise us.
                  Tom
                  I am no longer active.
                  PM me if you have a specific question.

Comment

What strikes me as different is the lighting. It has more of a KRS look.

I'll be curious to see what this leads to.
                    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, it certinly seems quite promising...

I've DL'ed the alpha (from the disclaimers it doesn't seem right to call it a beta lol) and will try it later. I have high hopes, but lower expectations : /
                      sigpic
                      -DJ Flaherty

Comment

As one who has used this and provided some feedback to Wayne I feel I can say a thing or two here (hopefully w/o stepping on any toes) that'll help set some expectations of those reading this thread:

It's very early in the development process so there are a lot of things that MSTS does that ORTS does not do. A lot.

What Wayne has accomplished to date is to demonstrate that MSTS files can be read and displayed and that MSTS trains can move along tracks, without using the MSTS program. Beyond that... lies a whole lot more work. Please note that I used the word demonstrate; It starts with "DEMO".

Got it?

Ok, all that said, what Wayne has produced is also pretty darn interesting and exciting because, if for no other reason, it opens the door to the continued use of familiar MSTS content w/o the technical limitations imposed by the original 2001 work. IMO, his project deserves support.
                        Dave Nelson
                        sigpic
                        Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Comment

While I will admit the project does need more work, I will mention that this project has a promising lead. The demo doesn't do much now, but I'm sure it will later.
                          Tom
                          I am no longer active.
                          PM me if you have a specific question.

Comment

I just tried it. My registry was pointing to my Cajon Pass 3 "mini" route. It loaded and did run, much better than I anticipated!

+ the frame rates were excellent
                            + the object rendering was nicely done
                            + it handled 1920 x 1080 with no problem (or 4/3 to 16/9 stretch distortion)
                            + there may actually be some multi-core CPU useage

There are a few negatives but at this stage of its development I don't feel need to be mentioned.

Please do keep up the development, I will be watching ORTS...

Thanks
                            GaryG

Comment

Originally posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post

Ok, all that said, what Wayne has produced is also pretty darn interesting and exciting because, if for no other reason, it opens the door to the continued use of familiar MSTS content w/o the technical limitations imposed by the original 2001 work. IMO, his project deserves support.
                              This is a very interesting project! Breathing new life into MSTS and updating it is a dream for most trainsimmers.

I agree the project deserves our support. Is there anything that TrainSim.Com can do to help? Perhaps an official message forum to start (forum could be private for use only by designated people if desired even).

Comment

Working...
                              X