X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editors & Tools in Windows 10

Hello, are any other patrons finding that everything related to MSTS works properly, including RR, CB, SFV etc?

Those are all working properly for me as well with NO issues except for the MSTS Tools, such as the main one for me, Route Editor. It has not been accessible since the Win10 upgrade.

I have had to dig a little bit for some other unrelated programs, but Route Editor will not open. Just the standard window from MS about sending to MS the error.

Where can I dig to find the necessary "file" or Registry entry to find out if it (they) still exist?

I run only with Open Rails, so running Activities is no problem as well.

Basically I am running with an Intel i5, msts installed on it's own SSD, Radeon HD Video Card. I had no issues with RE before the upgrade.

The Radeon HD Video Card is known not to work with win 8.0, 8.1 and 10.
    Someone made a fix if you are willing to try?

Site search is not working for me at the moment, I will try and find the fix.
    Last edited by derekmorton; 09-18-2015, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Hi,
      Here it is, Derek - https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-in-MSTS/page2 Look for post #16.

Cheers,
      Ged

Comment

I will try that fix as soon as I have the time, probably tomorrow.

I will also report back as to the results.

Comment

It does seem to work. Having reconsidered my decision to downgrade the laptop (AMD graphics) to Win 7 I put win 10 back on. Had already uninstalled MSTS but on reinstalling today and applying the fix, can open the sim and editors as before.
          Vern.

Comment

Update: There is, unfortunately a sting (two actually) in the tale.

The first not a show stopper per se, but I found in the RGE running under Win 10, mouse clicks to select tiles are off by about two squares on the grid. i.e. You click to check or uncheck a square and it affects the second one to the left. This problem did not exist under Win 7.

Opening the route in the editor I was able to place the sound source on the start tile, previously required in order to move about the editor. Unfortunately the whole editing window is frozen. Cannot move the mouse cursor from its starting position and cannot move or manipulate the camera. The whole thing is totally locked up, not even the juddery movement you got in Win 7 before placing the sound source.

So unless someone has any ideas, it looks here's at least one Win 10 machine which cannot run the MSTS Route Editor, despite applying the AMD fix.
            Vern.

Comment

Installer Error

OK, I downloaded the patch and followed the instructions.

Here is a screen shot of what I have now, the "installer" comes up with an error "atiumdag.dll - file not found, or file access error!"

Click image for larger version

Name:	MSTS AMD Patch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	2191321

Did I not put the file in the correct area? My MSTS install is in its' own SSD.

Comment

Hi,
                You must tell the patch where to find the atiumdag.dll file!! Click on the browse button and navigate to your MSTS root folder (which is where it looks as if you've copied the file to!). Ensure the box that currently contains atiumdag.dll contains the full path to the file.

Cheers,
                Ged
                Last edited by slipperman; 09-20-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you, I didn't see the little browse button. It says it is now "Patched".

I will see what happens from this point.

Comment

Ok, I tried the "MSTS Editors and Tools" but I still have the same error coming up. What file should the T&E shortcut point to? I believe that it has disappeared with the Win 10 install.

It must be in one of my back-ups but I cannot locate it. Searching for "editors" and/or "tools" does not return anything referring to MSTS.

Where to next?

Comment

Originally posted by Don6218 View Post
                      What file should the T&E shortcut point to?
                      {wherever your MSTS folder is}\train.exe -toolset

Comment

Still no Editor

Ok, now I remembered that one of the posts said to install MSTS to a misc file location to extract the "Tools & Editors", well I have done that, a full reinstall and then did the update patch for "atiumdag.dll", fiddled a bit and now I have six shortcuts somewhere??

I now have the Editors and Tools working in the new temporary location. Now how do I get it to open in my installed location for my installed routes?

Can I just change the "Destination" in the working Shortcut? The shortcut points to "Launcher" in the temporary install and the E & T window comes up properly.

Name:	MSTS Tools 1.jpg
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	2191328
                        Last edited by Don6218; 09-23-2015, 12:47 PM. Reason: Now working in temp area

Comment

Originally posted by Don6218 View Post
                          Ok, now I remembered that one of the posts said to install MSTS to a misc file location to extract the "Tools & Editors", well I have done that, a full reinstall and then did the update patch for "atiumdag.dll", fiddled a bit and now I have six shortcuts somewhere??

I now have the Editors and Tools working in the new temporary location. Now how do I get it to open in my installed location for my installed routes?

Can I just change the "Destination" in the working Shortcut? The shortcut points to "Launcher" in the temporary install and the E & T window comes up properly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67873[/ATTACH]
                          If your installation is outside the protected windows folders - installed in a location of your choosing and naming, then you should be able to direct the program to any directory you wish using the standard "open" window. At least that is how mine works.

I can open any activity or route anywhere using this feature. (Although I do have dedicated editors for all the MSTS installations, original install + miniroutes and ORTS profiles)

Any MSTS shortcuts should only point to the train.exe file or to toolset, do not use the launcher.

See illustration >>>> 1TS is the original MSTS install from the CDs, 2TS contains all the miniroutes/ORTS Profiles, 47 total with numerous routes in each.

Name:	bandicam 2015-09-23 12-14-39-609.jpg
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	2191329

If you really desire an editor shortcut for a specific reason then all you need to do is drag the train.exe file to the desktop from the installation folder you need an editor for and choose create shortcuts here. Go to file properties/shortcut/target and Add -toolset after the train.exe (with a space between the two) and any memory parameter you use. Rename and change icon, and you can use that shortcut to open all the MSTS editors (toolset)

like this >>>> C:\2TS\NWUSA\train.exe -toolset -mem:2048 (the target line in one of the shortcuts I use)
                          Last edited by R. Steele; 09-23-2015, 02:37 PM.
                          Cheers, Gerry
                          "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
                          It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
                          Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
                          Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Ok, now that I have the Editors working, they only work in the new install location, basic MSTS install. What files do I have to move from the basic "C" drive install to the default "D" drive install? Do I just move the whole folder and overwrite or not overwrite, skip certain files.

Also the one program that is not functioning properly is Train Store. It has switched from the D drive to the new C drive basic install and it will not allow me to switch the address from C to D, it shows me this error:

"The selected MSTS folder 'D:\' is not valid
                            At least one of the MSTS files that are needed for a normal installation
                            appears to be missing
                            ."

How do I find out which file is missing? Where do I start looking? Should I just uninstall T-S and reinstall?

I realize I have a lot of questions here, but I am hoping for some direction. All of these issues cropped up after switching to Win10. I like Win10 so far for everything I use. I know that a lot of you on here are very tech savvy, but some of us older ones are a little behind as to where and what to move, while maintaining what IS operating properly.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Hi Don6218,
                              Installing MSTS into Win 10 is no different to any other Operating System.

What files do I have to move from the basic "C" drive install to the default "D" drive install?

You can't MOVE MSTS files from one place to another - but you can COPY them. What do you mean by : basic "C" drive and default "D" drive? When you installed MSTS from the CDs, wherever you installed it will always be its default location, because that is held in the Registry. Route Riter allows you to change the Registry entry to point to a different location, if that is what you want, by using the Rail Driver/Registry tab.

Cheers,
                              Ged

Comment

Working...
                              X